Hello All,

Thought I'd share this little tale of Christmas shopping pains with everyone...

For a couple of years now, the Wife has wanted to have a 2nd Christmas tree to place in our foyer. The tree we have wanted was the most realistic-looking 12.5 foot artificial douglas fir you've ever seen. The only thing stopping us has been my tight-fisted refusal to part with the $900 or so price tag

Anyhoo...last weekend the tree she wanted had gone on sale for the first time 40% off at one of our local "decorating" stores, so I finally gave in.

We arrived at the store to huge lines, and checked with customer service to insure that they were indeed still in stock. "Yes sir, just take this (a sales slip for them to scan at the register) and get in line. Once you've paid for it, we'll bring it around front."

Now...I'm not big on crowds, but such is the Love for my Wife of 12 years that I stood in line for over 50 minutes (there must have been over 100 people, and only 2 registers open)just to pay for this stupid tree. After enduring the seemingly endlees deluge of screaming kids, housewives digging through their purses for pennies, and people arguing over $.50 coupons for wrapping paper, I was finally able to make my purchase...

....after which I was told they were out of stock....but if I didn't want a rain check, I could stand in line at customer service for a full refund.

Needless to say...not only did that company lose my business forever (and believe me, my wife spends $500+ a month on her "decorating" ideas, so it's no small potatoes), but I arrived home resolved to complete all of my Christmas shopping entirely online (after first calling my credit card company to do a chargeback for the treee I never reeived).

Just about every bricks & mortar store I've gone into this season has had lousy service...

The Affiliate Program: 20% LIFETIME Commissions, 5% 2nd Tier Commissions, Affiliate Store Builder, Raw Datafeeds, and Advanced Tools.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I'm proud to say this year I have done ALL my holiday shopping online. I'ts so much easier than fighting the crowds.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! <font color="#0000FF">Click Here!</font>

I usually do my shopping online - however, I'm a procrastinator, so sometimes I run into a shipping problem. This is why merchants should have free shipping before the holidays and free shipping upgrades when it gets closer to the last shipping day before your holiday of choice.

Erik, if only I had $500+/mo to "decorate" - sigh.

in the PhillyBurbs!
    Except for things I can't do online (like my wife's gift this year), I did 99.9% of my shopping online. I am not, by nature, a patient person. And Erik, I agree, everything I've seen from B&M stores in the last few months has soured my taste for malls & stores.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

in the PhillyBurbs!
    DELTED - Duplicate post

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I like to be amongst the crowds at least once a season. I like the "hustle and bustle" even if it *is* contrary to online marketing...

But I wouldn't want to do most of my shopping that way. B & M's are fine for the things where I can just pick something up without being picky (for instance, if someone needs "a shirt" but it doesn't matter what kind/design), but for the important stuff or things where it matters exactly which make/model it is, there's nothing like the Net!

Edited to add: I would only give someone something dull like a shirt as a gift if they asked for it!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

[This message was edited by Leader on December 08, 2003 at 05:00 PM.]

Mansfield, TX
    I did all of my Christmas shopping online this year. Not only is it cheaper, but it's a whole lot more enjoyable than sitting in traffic, trying to find a parking spot, and being frustrated by the lack of selection in stores.

Michael Coley

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread