Yikes! Best keywords just vanished
    I noticed earlier this week of my traffic was down by about 65%. Then I noticed that my top two keyword phrases, that had consistently been in the top five on Google for years now, simply vanished. I checked the top 12 pages and couldn't find them.

I could understand if they went down a few notches, but vanished? I have hardly made any changes at all to the pages. What has happened?

And more importantly, what can I do?

Has there been some change in the Google search criteria? Anyone else experience this recently? Thanks.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I lost positioning on one of my sites that used to be on the front page of the SERPs - now I can't find it either.

I have also seen my same site "vanish" for a month or so, then re-appear.

I pop in on this site every now and again to try and see if anything coincides...

http://blog.xseo.com/newsGoogleDanceupdates.htm

No keywords are guaranteed no matter how long you've had them. A lot of the time *not* changing your site is what causes it. Google likes fresh sites that are getting fresh press and plenty of comments. Maybe check Twitter search to see how many people have mentioned your site lately, or check Socialmention.com to see how many blogs have been talking about you. If you haven't been mentioned lately then that's very likely the reason why Google is ignoring you.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

<Cliche warning!!> "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket."

People most effected by SERP movements have some type of "gray hat" SEO in place. That is to say: paid links, link farm links, duplicate content, paid diggs, ect, ect, ect

Think long term techniques when doing SEO.

Also analyze your competition. What replaced your listing spots? Maybe someone new and better optimized came along. SEO is a continuing process.

Quote Originally Posted by hazlcha
    I have hardly made any changes at all to the pages. What has happened?
    Make some changes to your pages. I recently went on vacation for two weeks and several of my #1 keywords (phrases) dropped out of sight and traffic dropped as well. I did some minor changes to each page and in three days those pages were back on top. I regularly update my home page and several other key pages and maintain top 10 rankings for my best keywords with only minor fluctuations occuring from day to day.
    ~Ernie

Well no questionable SEO here, it's just strong content. I don;t really know who is linking to me, there are lots of organic from articles and such.

I've made some small changes, including improving KW presence in the Title tag and such. Will wait and see. It seems, though, that these KWs just disappeared from the G Monster.

What bugs me is when Google sends me to articles that were written in 2006 or earlier. I wish Google was more on top of sending me to articles that were written within the past year or so. So if you're trying to hang on to keywords with old articles you might want to write more current articles pertaining to the same keywords.

- Scott

I think google is a lot more in 'flux' than it used to be. Unless you are looking a very small niche keywords.

And then they put in their 'personalization' thingy letting you move sites up or delete them in the results.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If you a content scraper and/or using an article automation script seeding links to ARTICLE HUBS... Google has you in it's radar. Bunches of inbound links from article hubs balanced by only affiliate codes outbound links = no Google link love. Google Bot watches the most popular SEO keyword landing pages passing them to Google employee reviewer or contractor human visit graders. Someone will hit Good, Bad or non-relevent, merchant -not merchant ooooorrrrr Blackhat inside a few seconds of clicking the SERP listing. Then the Google compliles results from many human reviewers and Bot alogo tweeked PR and rate whether you deserve page 1 or 2 SERPs.

Stop buying into traffic schemes from all those lying scumbags claiming SEO/ Google gaming expertise. Write content on your pages strickly for the shopper/buyer and branded manufacturer and your page will rank forever if noted as a quality landing page by Googles humans.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    If you a content scraper and/or using an article automation script seeding links to ARTICLE HUBS... Google has you in it's radar. Bunches of inbound links from article hubs balanced by only affiliate codes outbound links = no Google link love.

Stop buying into traffic schemes from all those lying scumbags claiming SEO/ Google gaming expertise. Write content on you pages strickly for the shopper/buyer and branded manufacturer and your page will rank forever if noticed.
    hazlcha said they had strong content and had those spots consistently for a long time, that wouldn't be the case if they were doing the above Mike.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    hazlcha said they had strong content and had those spots consistently for a long time, that wouldn't be the case if they were doing the above Mike.

Hazlcha said: "Well no questionable SEO here, it's just strong content. I don;t really know who is linking to me, there are lots of organic from articles and such."

He said the few keywords or key phrases he ranked high for have disappeared... "It seems, though, that these KWs just disappeared from the G Monster." So either they have fallen out of use or He's referencing his site is not longer in the first few hundreds of SERP results. If some others now rank for them it means his Google gigs up without some serious rewrites and legit inbounds.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

So I checked the new #1, and they only had the key phrase, for e.g. "awesome widgets" once on the page, and once in the "Author" tag - <meta name="Author" content="awesome widgets">. There was no description tag.

The individual words in the phrase, awesome ad widgets were properly sprinkled throughout the page.

The page title and main phrase was the equivalent of "amazing widgets".

Am I to infer that Google now equates synonyms with the exact phrase? And why is the author tag used for kws, or is that just a coincidence?

That just goes to show that the keyword density really has no bearing on placement anymore. It's mostly about the anchor text and the relevancy and strength of the incoming links. You only really need your keywords to appear in the title and maybe one more time on the page to give the page context.

- Scott

... and now they are back!!!

Go figure this out, who knows. May many people enjoy and love my site, since it gives the gift of music.

Anddddd, I'm gettin' married Sunday. Thanks :-D

I've had this happen recently. I think I was over-optimizing my title tags. But, who really knows. Glad to see you are back. Losing your ranking can be a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by shopsat24seven
    I've had this happen recently. I think I was over-optimizing my title tags. But, who really knows. Glad to see you are back. Losing your ranking can be a nightmare.
    I'd say it's more likely that you just didn't keep up with Google's strict demands for a steady flow of incoming links, not over optimizing title tags. It's rarely what we do on our site that affects our rank, it's usually what happens offsite ie: more links in more places.

- Scott

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread