Other than the speed and the opportunity to sell products faster.

Why I like data feeds:

It now takes me 2 maybe 3 days to make a site, but I spend the 2-3 days designing, making wonderful HTML templates for my sites. I can now spend my time doing fun things such as developing the GRAPHICS to enhance the templates.

I am so sick of seeing sites that lack in beauty; most of those sites could be beautiful if there was time to develop them correctly. And that’s why I enjoy utilizing a data feed.

Maybe that's why my site is ugly , I can't figure out how to use those darn feeds.

Wish someone would make a "Data Feed Primer for Newbies" ( and those with blinking vcr's ) A step by step - in ENGLISH , Sandra , - simpleton guide that even I could follow.

There's a site idea for you.

All the Best,

Cliff

PS. Should include instructions for the merchants on how to make a feed also.

Toledo Swords - Collectible Heirloom Armory
    http://www.toledoswords.com

Well, I know this is different but when I have a data feed that actually works, I have some standard code in a spread sheet that I use around images and the image links. I have place holders in the code that I can do a fast search and replace to add keywords. So, I just add the images and the links to the data feed and it is all ready to copy the needed rows onto the relevant page, replace the key words and the page is done. With a good feed, I can make a page populated with lots of products in about three minutes. But, most of the feeds suck big time and it is faster to just get the info from the site than fiddle faddle with the feed.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Ssanf,

I was hoping you would comment on the PM that I sent you. I did want to say, I think you're missing the point. Don't feel bad, because it may not be obvious at all.

Ask yourself this. Would a site with 30,000 pages be faster to generate by hand or with a datafeed? Would that site have more of it's pages (likely) listed in search engines than what you have now? And last, if they were listed at the SE's, would you be making more money?

I am trying to help, if this is annoying you, please let me know and I'll stop.

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

I tend to agree that most of the datafeed sux, that's why I'm very selective as to which feed to use and how to use it.

Admittedly, using the feed helps speed up the process, and that makes my work less tedious.

buy_online

I am sorry. I actually did write you a response. But, just as I was ready to send it, my computer froze and I lost it.

Then, I tried to scan disk and defrag...

After that, I haven't gotten back to re-writing to you. I just got distracted. I find it much harder to write somerhing a second time trying to remember what it was I originally said. I do appreciate it and will answer.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AT:
    I tend to agree that most of the datafeed sux, that's why I'm very selective as to which feed to use and how to use it.

Admittedly, using the feed helps speed up the process, and that makes my work less tedious.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sill;y its not the feed that you work with but your dbase. Geezee is everyone silly here?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Geezee is everyone silly here? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naughty Sandra

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Geezee is everyone silly here? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want to get Sandra in a game of bridge , and see how silly SHE is , on a subject she may not be comfortable or knowledgeable with .

The last thing she told me was silly and easy took me 3 hours to figure out. Sure everything is easy once you know how.

But all kidding a side. Sandra's posts are very helpful and stimulating. IMO

Bridge?

Dang I am into computers not Structural Engineering.

You would win at bridge, now lets play a game of spades! I will have your butt!

ABW Ambassador
    I like datafeeds because they take the tedium out of making sites, but I won't say they make sites that perform better, at least not for me.

If merchants knew what is really needed in a datafeed and standardized on their form and content, life would be much easier, but I doubt that will ever happen. So building a site from a data feed the first time takes me around a week. Updates take much less time, depending on how much manual manipulation of the data is needed to get it in useable form.

I am only working with datafeeds, they are great, but I also admire the hand made sites.
    But I have experience that making a site of thousand page with datafeed sometime is bad than a site of 10-20 pages without datafeed. Becase that tiny site possess full attention and selected material.

Kamaluddin Panhwar
    Commission is good comming from only sales and will live long.

ABW Ambassador
    That's precisely it, kamalpanhwar. When manually making a site, you take aim and optimize every page of the whole site. With datafeed sites, you blast out everything and it's all pretty much optimized the same. Then you wind up with giant sites with lots of low-value pages that are difficult to get indexed and ranking well in the search engines.

One other advantage of the hand made site is that you can incrementally add to it and build it one step at a time, based on what is working well.

I'm undecided about the long term prospects of building sites with data feeds. I like the concept but they're not all they're cooked up to be.

Interested in comments on the quality and usability of the new data feed (LS Merchandiser) from Greatskin.com?

Any suggestions that would make it work better for all of you?

Sam Levy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SandraR:
    Bridge?

Dang I am into computers not Structural Engineering.

You would win at bridge, now lets play a game of spades! I will have your butt!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd play you a simple game like backgammon , but we all know u cheat ( coincidentally always get a slew of doubles at the end - )

I'm not a traditional data feed person. I hand code manually using various homemade templates and use some data feeds to manually build product links fairly fast. The best tool yet has been the Product Showcase Creator. I can put out a dozen or more pages a day and have some control over what is displayed. I set the number of products to twice what I'm looking for and remove all but the best ones. I prefer to limit the number of products to the ones that will grab attention, cause the click and set the cookies. I don't understood the value in duplicating a merchant's entire inventory.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ABW Ambassador
    I like datafeeds because now when I go to Google and search for shoes, all the results I get are shoes.com affiliate datafeed sites with the same exact products and prices. It really makes the decision process easier.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread