ABW Ambassador
    I hate register.com
    They are the same company they have always been, one step away from being crooks.

Years ago I moved all my domains away from register.com after they did not allow me to renew a domain that had fallen into the then undefined recover/drop period, but allowed a major domain player to register it. Odd!

Yeah...

So this week I realize as I am adding domains to adsense for domains that I still have 31 domains at namebargain - a register.com company.

So I login to their horrible, horrible system and quickly realize why they are still there. Because register.com wouldn't let me move them before...

So I try to move one as a test, go through the steps at my new register. Nary a peep from register.com/namebargain on their end.

So I wade through the horrible site and submit a trouble ticket (only way to contact them as a namebargain/register customer)- failed. Try again - fail. Try again - fail. Yes, register.com, the company that wants you to buy their website builder can't even get a form to work on one of their own sites.

So finally I get the form to work. Pretty simple. User name. Domain name. Issue Transfer. Why can't I transfer this domain.

Their response? If you are transferring a .jp domain... WHAT??!?!? Check my account, read my request, I have no .jp domains so how can this possible be relevant? It can't be. And 24 hours later, still no hope. Still a domain stuck with no way of knowing what is blocking (it is not set to be locked) the domain.

Register.com is an old school register. High prices and they will try and come as close to stealing from you as the law allows...

So now I have to go through the BS I did last time, extra time... extra money.

Since i now need to waste my time, I will spend a little extra to once again warn everyone away from the almost crooks at register.com. I don't care how nice their AM is (no idea) but the company they are representing is not nice... or well run.

Chet

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    You aren't alone in your sentiments.

http://www.google.com/search?q=register.com+sucks

This might help - http://support.namebargain.com/cgi-b...i=&p_topview=1 . Your domain would need to be in the "unlocked" state, and might need the EPP code to confirm.

Not sure from what you posted if you knew who the affiliate manager was or not? If not, as far as I know it's still Chuck. I'm sure he would try to help you if you asked him. Regardless if you do or not, I hope you get the problem fixed.

ABW Ambassador
    Domain unlocked, everything done, just waiting on namebargain/register.com. Waiting, waiting, waiting. But they will get back to me in 24 hours... oh wait. No they won't.

And yeah, I know chuck is the AM. That is what I was saying, nothing against him, but Register.com is a horrible, horrible company. Always has been, always will be.

If this had been a wildwestdomains/godaddy or enom reseller, it would have been done within minutes of the original request (if not seconds). But register.com is old school, it will take days... if they ever do it. Another 1st generation Internet company that just doesn't understand.

Chet

I had the same problem trying to move two domains off of aplus.net hosting last year. I just ended up going to the new host and pointing the domains myself. I notified them and waited and waited and then just moved them out. They never did send the EPP but it was my own login password so I already had it.

They just recently tried to bill me for another year and we had to go around and around because aplus.net had no record of the transfer. I sent them copies of all our communications. They were the original domain registrar but the domains were in my name.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Chet, just caught wind of this thread and glad you brought it up. Register prides themselves on their JD Powers award winning customer service so let's see what they can do. I will escalate this to my counter part there and ask that she personally contact you to get a resolution ASAP. Give me until EOD Monday!

I love NameCheap! Simple Answer

Chet, I received confirmation that a customer support rep will be contacting you. Let me know if you get this resolved or if there are any other issues. I will PM the contact information for the escalations manager.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Chuck and I know if I had contacted you directly, it would have been resolved. Thanks for the offer, but I was looking at it just as a customer.

How Register.com wins any awards for service is beyond me. Even when it was straightened out, it took 26 hours to complete. Compare that to any other register where it is almost instantaneous.

Register.com is a dinosaur of registrars. They remind me of network solutions, blind to the world around them, but pretty sure if they just run harder in the wrong direction the world will have to follow them...

Chet

Chet, thanks for the response. We are working with Register to change their image and feedback like this gets pushed straight to the top.

Do we have a resident expert on domains in this forum?

I have always wondered if there is a downside to registering domain names with a cheap option such as godaddy.com?

Of course some cheap options appear to have service issues.

My main concern is if we lose some of our ownership rights if we register with a low cost reseller instead of a top tier domain registrar? Do we own the name if we register from Network Solutions, but rent the domain name if we register with GoDaddy.com?

I have a few domains coming due on Network Solutions and I have been wondering why I am paying so much with Network Solutions when GoDaddy is offering domains for under $5.

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    Do we have a resident expert on domains in this forum?

I have always wondered if there is a downside to registering domain names with a cheap option such as godaddy.com?

Of course some cheap options appear to have service issues.

My main concern is if we lose some of our ownership rights if we register with a low cost reseller instead of a top tier domain registrar? Do we own the name if we register from Network Solutions, but rent the domain name if we register with GoDaddy.com?

I have a few domains coming due on Network Solutions and I have been wondering why I am paying so much with Network Solutions when GoDaddy is offering domains for under $5.
    You pay a high price at NetWork Solutions because they are ripping you off.

I register them all at GoDaddy (I used to use NS) and I own them just like you do at NS and you can do whatever you want to with them.

I register them all at GoDaddy and host the sites at HostGator.

Most of the places where you register your domain are NOT good to host with. Register one place - host at another place.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    They almost lured me over there a couple days ago... there was an ad for 10 yr domain registration for just $10... luckily on their site it was really clear that it was $10 per year when you register for at least 10 years.

What about 1&1 as a registrar? I think they're pretty good as a registrar.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    What about 1&1 as a registrar? I think they're pretty good as a registrar.
    I do my hosting through 1&1 so registering domains through them is the only way to go for me. I did register ONE through GoDaddy recently only because they had a super sale for like 99 cents or something. I'm totally happy with 1&1... if only they'd add the one click WP install like some others...

Every time I see a thread here on domain registration, I gotta ask -- Am I the ONLY one here who registers with the perfectly good, discount name registration Haiko offers here at ABW? How can I be the only one??

Yet no one but me seems to mention that whenever domain registration comes up??

FYI -- That's at http://www.abestweb.com/domains/

I used to have domains at several places, including GoDaddy. Over the last three or four years I've moved all my domains here. Service is quick. The interface is similar to GoDaddy. I have never had a problem or issue.
    Last edited by writerguy; January 1st, 2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: To add last paragraph
    Generate more fake news.

I've never seen that link anywhere, writerguy, thanks for bringing it up. I don't typically have too much use to buy domains, but I'll definitely keep that in mind now.

I'm in the process of extracting myself from 1and1 (UK).

Their service is going the way of the dinosaur - their prices are no longer competitive and their custom control panel is slow, cumbersome and complicated (not to mention restrictive).

What particularly irks me is having to wait for their dumb 3rd party ads to download before I can even log in to the control panel.

How do you set cron jobs? The only way I can see is in a shell session.

Brrrrrrr HostGator is MUCH better (faster, cheaper and more flexible)

ABW Ambassador
    Gary, I actually have my own wildwest reseller account (same as abw). That is both how lazy I am and how hard it has been to move the domains from namebargain/register. The system ABW uses is great, one of the ones I was talking about. Fast, easy to use and the system responds to requests within seconds.

I use GoDaddy. I know a lot of people have some hatred toward them. Their support has been fair at best, but if you can get through all the advertisement when purchasing something, their prices are great for what you get from them. I have never had a problem transferring a domain to them or away from them.

In a year from now, I'm probably going to want to edit this post flaming Godaddy for something they screwed my out of!! LOL!!

It is what it is ~

OK, I am determined to transfer my domains away from Network Solutions. I host the names elsewhere so domain registration is the only thing I pay (way too much) for at Network Solutions.

I checked out the ABW domain link and was curious so I did more research. As posted above, it is a reseller agreement with GoDaddy and their sister company WildWestDomains.

Finding out this information makes me want to become a reseller myself.

One thing that gave me pause is that the "no risk transfer" claim made me feel good until I read that they will refund money if anything goes wrong. I'm not worried about losing a small domain registration fee. I'm worried about losing the rights to my domains.

I am now mainly a domainer and have more than 1000 domains. I have used over 20 different Registrars in the past. The domain control panel of some of these is so odd that you will need an extremely highly IQ to sort out.

As far as security is concerned, I would say that eNom, Melbourne IT, Moniker, and Register.com would be on par with Network Solutions. However, I have to agree that register.com has a rather unprofessional policy in that it requires you to phone them for the EPP code. However, if you insist on transferring your domains out, they may offer a price similar to Godaddy's.

Among the cheaper Registrars, I mainly use Godaddy, NameCheap, and Resellerclub. I have over 500 domains with Godaddy without any problems. Although if you are involved in e-mail marketing of any kind, you should stay away from them as many people have their accounts disabled for suspected spam.

I particularly like Resellerclub because the price includes privacy and its domain control panel is most suited to bulk actions. With Namecheap, you can ask for a lifelong discount code if you have 50 domains or more.

I would avoid using reseller Registrars because you would depend on them to pay the fees on time to the main ICANN registered Registrar.

Unfortunately, the domain registration is rather thinly regulated. Read Registerfly and Estdomains. Ideally, it should be run by governments or in the least fortune 500 companies. But quite often, they are run by cowboys with little financial backup.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread