Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Keywords that are protected... LOL
    So I was going thru my merchants checking to see what key words are protected and boy was I getting a kick out of them.... Thought I would share a few so you too could get a kick
    Apartments.com has these as Protected Keywords LOL......
    apartmentguide.com, apartments.com, backpage, backpage.com, craigslist, craigslist.com, craigslist.org, equity apartments, forrent, forrent.com, move.com, rent.com, rent.net, rentnet
    LOL I didn't know apartments dot com owned craigslist or Backpage LOLOLOL

Edit: why would anyone put craigslist or backpage as keywords????? and then why would apartments have control over those???? Made me giggle abit.
    Last edited by jodyq; December 27th, 2008 at 07:57 PM.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Quote Originally Posted by jodyq
    So I was going thru my merchants checking to see what key words are protected and boy was I getting a kick out of them.... Thought I would share a few so you too could get a kick
    Apartments.com has these as Protected Keywords LOL......
    apartmentguide.com, apartments.com, backpage, backpage.com, craigslist, craigslist.com, craigslist.org, equity apartments, forrent, forrent.com, move.com, rent.com, rent.net, rentnet
    LOL I didn't know apartments dot com owned craigslist or Backpage LOLOLOL

Edit: why would anyone put craigslist or backpage as keywords????? and then why would apartments have control over those???? Made me giggle abit.
    I think its cuz they are competitiors -

I don't think Craigslist is anyone's competitor. That would be like Barnes & Nobles saying the Public Library is their competitor.

What always rubs my rhubarb the wrong way is the part about not out bidding them on any ppc. I can understand it on certain keywords but general category words should be open.

I am just waiting for a company to say that there protected key words are ABCDEFGHJKLMNOPQRTVWXZ and any variation of some or all of these.

http and a telephoto
    I am just waiting for a company to say that there protected key words are ABCDEFGHJKLMNOPQRTVWXZ and any variation of some or all of these.
    Don't give them any ideas....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood
    I don't think Craigslist is anyone's competitor. That would be like Barnes & Nobles saying the Public Library is their competitor.

What always rubs my rhubarb the wrong way is the part about not out bidding them on any ppc. I can understand it on certain keywords but general category words should be open.

Using Barnes & Noble + Public Library

Its like saying theres 1,000s of people standing in front of Barnes & Nobles with Signs saying Go to the Public Library ..

And the public library is telling the 1,000s peoples to not do that ..

lol theres my analogy :P

lol loxly. Seriously some merchants are way too fussy about keyword bidding. For god sake, protect your trademark and let us bid on anything else. Too many restrictions and affiliates will prolly have a "no promotion policy" slapped on you

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    A lot of merchants don't realize that the affiliate might actually be doing their PPC team a favor by bidding on general keywords because, ok sure, it can drive up the cost for your PPC team... but remember it's doing the same thing for your competitor, and at least you (the merchant) knows what's going on; they might not be so savvy or prepared.

There's pros & cons, but yeah, some are just silly like that Jody. At least it's good for a laugh if nothing else

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    A lot of merchants don't realize that the affiliate might actually be doing their PPC team a favor by bidding on general keywords because, ok sure, it can drive up the cost for your PPC team... but remember it's doing the same thing for your competitor, and at least you (the merchant) knows what's going on; they might not be so savvy or prepared.
    Crud, I meant to say as well that it can sometimes lower the merchant's costs on those general keywords if you just let your affiliates bid on them and save your money for higher competing keywords, because the traffic and sales are ultimately all going to the merchant in one form or another. PPC teams just want the glory

Recovering URL Addict BTW
    BTW ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.COM has been registered since 1999, and all the other top level domain suffixes are also registered.

I was just looking, I wasn't really gonna buy any, really I wasn't.

(I used to own over 1,000 top-level domain names,
    now I'm down to under 100, and in recovery.)

Best Wishes,
    dvdtvshows

i didn't use the whole alphabet..... lol

Sorry for the double post I don't know how to quote when editing? But as you can see I didn't use the whole alphabet.....

Hi jodyq -- I manage the Apartments.com Affiliate Program and would be happy to discuss this further with you or anyone else via email (agraf @ apartments.com).

The basic premise of this policy is that we do not allow our publishers to promote Apartments.com via Craigslist, Backpage, or any other third party message boards, directly or indirectly. This includes search campaigns, which is why those keywords are listed as protected.

If you have any questions about this policy, just let me know.

That makes sense! I was just going through was going to use ppc one in my life and was reading and when I saw backpage and craigslist as protected well you know it made me laugh that makes more sense when put in those terms.

Ok so I am pushing this thread up but this will make you laugh!!!
    thelightingshop has these !!!!
    aladdin
    gone with the wind
    hurricane
    earrings
    coors light
    red light district

OK I don't really know where to begin or end. That is one of the most ridiculous set I have ever seen in my whole life!

Ok so I am pushing this thread up but this will make you laugh!!!
    thelightingshop has these !!!!
    aladdin
    gone with the wind
    hurricane
    earrings
    coors light
    red light district

OK I don't really know where to begin or end. That is one of the most ridiculous set I have ever seen in my whole life!
    Either someone has a great sense of humor, or a really bad drinking problem.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Either someone has a great sense of humor, or a really bad drinking problem.

-rematt
    Can't it be both?

Hmmm. Come to think about it, drinking (and falling) is how I developed MY sense of humor.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

My only problem with drinking is when i am done? LOL
    I will make sure I WILL NOT BID ON ALADDIN!!!! rofl

Sometimes you have to look at protected words in a negative way (as in negative keywords) - remember they sell "lights" and "lamps":

aladdin -> as in "aladdin lamp"
    gone with the wind -> as in "gone with the wind lamp" (look it up)
    hurricane -> as in "hurricane lamp"
    earrings -> as in "chandelier earrings"
    coors light -> as in "we don't sell beer"
    red light district -> as in, well, kinda self explanatory, really

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    A lot of merchants don't realize that the affiliate might actually be doing their PPC team a favor by bidding on general keywords because, ok sure, it can drive up the cost for your PPC team... but remember it's doing the same thing for your competitor, and at least you (the merchant) knows what's going on; they might not be so savvy or prepared...
    agreed especially when their name is such a generic term like apartments, lamps, rent, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Hmmm. Come to think about it, drinking (and falling) is how I developed MY sense of humor....
    LOL
    Some of those drinks might be fun on moment but soon will become major headache (like those Hurricanes/Grenades(?) they sell on Bourbon street)...

Newbie question here: does the Google Content Network fall under the search policy? Technically, one involves active searching vs. a more passive means of advertising. THanks.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Organic Chem
    Newbie question here: does the Google Content Network fall under the search policy? Technically, one involves active searching vs. a more passive means of advertising. THanks.
    It applies to any PPC advertising, the content network was still PPC advertising the last time I looked....

Keyword restrictions mean no bidding on those keywords period. Anywhere.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    It applies to any PPC advertising, the content network was still PPC advertising the last time I looked....

Keyword restrictions mean no bidding on those keywords period. Anywhere.
    That's pretty much a advertiser-by-advertiser policy, but it's always best to ask your AM. Many programs, in my experience, don't carry over the keyword restrictions to the content network, but they do carry over restrictions on the domain and use of the TM in the ad. I find that a lot of advertisers don't use the content network themselves, or tell me that they're just concerned about affiliates not showing up on TM keyword searches, but are fine with the content network.

It never hurts to ask!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    That's pretty much a advertiser-by-advertiser policy, but it's always best to ask your AM. Many programs, in my experience, don't carry over the keyword restrictions to the content network, but they do carry over restrictions on the domain and use of the TM in the ad. I find that a lot of advertisers don't use the content network themselves, or tell me that they're just concerned about affiliates not showing up on TM keyword searches, but are fine with the content network.

It never hurts to ask!
    You are correct, it never hurts to ask. However as a general rule I would expect it to be included. Your experience appears to differ with mine
    Deborah Carney

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast