Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Wildlife spotting
    I thought I'd start a thread where we can post any wildlife spottings that we want to share.

Today, for the first time ever, I saw a bald eagle in the wild. It was perched in a tree in a lightly wooded area just off one of the highways outside Albany, NY. What a thrill!

Oooooh cool Have never seen one. Hubby saw his first one a few years back out where he was working. Every day goin to that job he was able to see em. Uhhh closest I've seen in size I guess to em has been uuuuuuhhhhgaaahhleeeee turkey buzzards. oooooh which now that I brought em up I might have nightmares of em tonight. No lie.....reaaaalllly are ugly.

Would my hummingbird fellas count as wildlife?? They won't be back tho til April or May

Hmm how bout a cow? I saw one of them driving over to my niece's Christmas eve. Realize the point and it is nice but kinda think it's a little cruel. This teeey church right next to a trolley track has a manger every year. In the teeeeniest area they have a cow, donkey and think a lamb. Space is so small the animals couldn't even turn around if they wanted to. They're not bein physically hurt tho.

Look forward to this thread. I love any kind of wildlife. Cept don't wanna be next to any gorilla cos scared of em. lol

We have eagles that nest not too far from us. I've seen them near the lake on occasion. This past summer, I also saw a juvenile perching on a dead tree at the pond at work.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I'll have to find some of my pictures. Things I've seen in various places:

1. Bald Eagle (and Alligators) - In Kissimmee, FL (on an airboat ride with Donuts!)
    2. Wild Turkeys - In northern Michigan
    3. Deer - Numerous places
    4. Roadrunners - Around our house
    5. A coyote - A few miles from our house, just last week!
    6. Skunks, porcupines, raccoons, possums, armadillos - Various places
    7. Snakes - many places, including around (and a couple small ones in) our house.
    8. Scorpions - in our house a few times.
    9. Sea turtles, moray eels, snake eels - Hanauma Bay, Oahu, HI
    Last edited by MichaelColey; December 28th, 2008 at 12:16 AM.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Hmm how bout a cow? I saw one of them driving over to my niece's Christmas eve.
    You saw a cow driving? Were you on the Far Side?

Quote Originally Posted by VampireSkunk
    You saw a cow driving? Were you on the Far Side?
    No, silly lol the cow wasn't driving. lol he was moooooooooooving, tho. lol I'm as bad as you......naaaah that was pretty bad, so I'm worse than you. lol

Boy, Michael you've reaaaaallly seen a lotta critters.
    "Roadrunners - Around our house A coyote"
    Was it Wylie coyote? Oh no.....shouldn't have got me started. lol

I've never seen most of what you've seen.

I have seen quite a few deer even got to see two fawns (just barely....the spots were only slightly visible.) Not sure if I've told this story before or not. Used to go fishing at the local reservoir, which is also near a state park that has deer. (more like pets cos they are sooooooo used to the people in the park) Would go fishing real early in the morning when most people were still sound asleep. Was great cos that's when the critters would be movin around. Since deer are creatures of habit, kept seein the same deer. One morning there was a Mom deer and 2 fawns (couldn't see the spots til ya got up close and realllllllly were very faded)

I always talk to critters so cos the poor little guys are soooooo trusting (they hunt em in the park but I won't get started on that) Anyway cos of that I didn't want em to be soooooo trusting. I was able to get realllllllly close to the fawns and the Mom so I had a talk with the Mom trying to tell her that just cos she could trust me she shouldn't be so trusting cos it would get her and her fawns hurt. Hope she paid attention to me.

Have seen raccoons, possums, eels and snakes.

"Scorpions - in our house a few times"
    Uhhhhh definitely wouldn't like that

Wildlife I have seen lol
    In South Dakota I was helping my friend open her first snowmobile resort, I got into a yelling match with some buffalo who would not move from the road, even though I was the only one yelling, they were just lookin at me like I was nuts I eventually broke out the twinkies and that got em!
    In South Dakota I discovered a dinosaur bone! Does that count as wildlife?
    I saw a elk, we ate good for a whole year! I am soo just kidding was more like 5 months......jk
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

http and a telephoto
    I have a site I am starting about the wildlife refuge near us, but am not ready to show people yet When I am this is a perfect thread to put it in.

I've actually seen quite a lot of wildlife... and not just in zoos, lol.

Eagles: I have photos of one flying overhead from the June trip to Colorado/Utah. Will have to find that and get it posted. Also, hawks flying over Central Park, and there are supposed to be Bald Eagles too. Might have seen one, but it was too high to be sure.

Alligators: Michael thanks for the reminder about the airboat trip! Wow, what fun that was! Again, need to find the photos, I think I put those on NightFire or Flickr.

Edited to add:

Here's one from the trip!

Deer: Used to be in my backyard all the time, sometimes in the neighbors houses, lol... more than one local story of a deer running through someone's patio doors... plus saw them on the side of the road many times in my travels around the northeast, and again on that June trip. So have seen them in the Northeast, and in the Midwest and West.

Shorebirds: I used to think there was only one kind of duck. Seriously. Mallards right? Then a couple months ago we were taking pics at the Wildlife Refuge nearby and I bought some books about local birds, including shorebirds and sure enough when we went through our own photos we had photos of a couple different kinds. And at Central Park in Christmas Day no less than 5 different (totally different!!!) kinds of ducks were swimming around. Also didn't realize there were different varieties of Sea Gulls. Living near the ocean I get to see lots of those! Plus Brants, Canadian Geese, Snow Geese, Scaup, Sandpiper, Loons, Egrets, Cranes, and more.

Fox, turtles, raccoons, lots of cows Purplebear, I lived in "Cow Country" lol. Bison, Elk, Wild Horses.... I can't think of others right now, I know there is more

Cool thread Rhea! Fun to see what others have seen
    Last edited by loxly; December 28th, 2008 at 11:45 AM.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Bald eagles...
    A few years ago while camping in the Columbia River Gorge, we were hiking a trail high on the south wall. While standing at a lookout point I spotted two bald eagles approaching from upstream. What a sight as they flew by at eye level just a couple hundred feet from our viewpoint.

My older son enjoys fishing. One day while lake fishing from his boat, he was just pulling one out of the water when suddenly he heard a swoosh, and a bald eagle swooped down and stole the fish practically from his hand. It happened so fast there was no time for reaction. Pretty scary experience!

X

"I got into a yelling match with some buffalo who would not move from the road"

Now see, I'm a scaredy cat. I'd be afraid of a buffalo. They just look big and scarey to me, don't know why, they just do. lol

"broke out the twinkies and that got em"
    lol

"a dinosaur bone"

Sure, that's just very old wildlife lol

loxly - ooooooh I betcha I know which one you're referrin to

Have actually seen hawks and/or falcons (not sure of the difference) heee heee just dawned on me, never seen him cept have seen a photo of a certain nyfalcon Actually in my neighborhood. Husband knows all bout wildlife so he can spot em in the air and knows which is which then tells me. He's seen lottsa wild turkeys but not me.

alligators "Wow, what fun that was"

oooooooh no, no, no.....nothin fun bout gators lol Can definitely do without seein any of them. Don't wanna be anybody's dinner

" I used to think there was only one kind of duck. "
    No, no, no.......there's at least 2.....Donald and then there's Daffy. They don't look at all alike. Have seen quite a few ducks and geese but don't know the difference between em.

Have seen a couple of herons from bein fishing. Seen several foxes Lottsa turtles. Never saw him but my Nanna actually adopted a big ole turtle and named him Mike. (dunno why) My Mom said it used to look so silly cos he used to follow her around in the yard. lol Seen lottsa baby birds, squirrels, etc. cos my Nanna used to live with us til she passed away when I was 10. Her and my Mom were always taking in orphaned critters, birds, etc. and taking care of him til old enough to release into the wild.

Dummy question lol "I lived in "Cow Country" lol."
    Is that really a place or are you just referrin to a place where you lived that had a whole lotta cows?

Bison, elk.....nope never seen any of them.
    Uhh, they probably might scare me, too tho since they'd be in the big animal category. Not sure why, but things big scare me. lol Big ships especially. lol Navy yard's next to a bridge and if I go on it.....can't look at em or really gives me the creeps. lol Hmmmm....you guys are really gonna think I'm awfully strange from some of the posts I've been makin recently. lol

Wild horses. ok....this one might count. Do Chincoteague ponies count as wild horses??

Neighbors cross the street from my Aunt and Uncle when I was little had two of em and I used to ride em. Technically walk em. My cousin would sit us on em with no saddle, just a little blanket I think and walk us around. Once I slid so that I was hangin on while I was under his tummy. Don't actually remember that incident but my Mom used to love to tell the story. I loved bein with them ponies

Ooooh Ed, that woulda been scarey. Closest ever got to anything like that was casting this one lure that looked like a fish (was actually named L'il Fishie") Sometimes the birds would swoop down but luckily would manage to get it into the water quickly enough. Wasn't scared just was always scared I wouldn't do it fast enough and would end up hooking one of em. The thought of me accidentally hurting a critter or a bird woulda been a disaster. I'd have been a hysterical basket case if it woulda happened. Actually after seein "The Birds" movie......if I'd have been your son....that incident woulda probably have given me nightmares.

Agree.....am lovin this thread Rhea

http and a telephoto
    Upstate NY is pretty much "Cow Country", lots of dairies, my uncles used to own one, I think my cousins actually run it now. I grew up in Rochester, NY but my grandparents lived in the boondocks, one set south of Buffalo (near Rich Stadium for the football fans ) and the others just in the middle of nowhere (Warsaw, Perry NY area). A lot of critters most people consider wild were my grandparents "pets".
    Deborah Carney

I'm surprised. I didn't know NY had a boondocks or a "no where".

X

oooooh that musta been fun for ya growing up around a dairy

My Aunt and Uncle had what you'd consider I guess a small farm in Delaware. He had a job but also had some acres that he grew stuff and had a chicken house for the chickens. I got to pick the eggs when I was little, was always afraid they'd attack me cos I was takin them, tho. Uhhh even tho they did eat em, my Uncle assured me we were not having any of the chickens for our dinner. My cousin had em all named. We used to get fresh corn, blueberries apples and apple cider I remember.

My Uncle's Dad lived next to my Aunt and Uncle and had a small farm, too. One of the things he grew were pumpkins and every Halloween he'd let us pick our own. I always thought it'd be nice to grow up on a farm (coulda had my own horse, too)

Most people who aren't familiar with New York tend to think of it as nothing more than New York City and a bunch of suburbs. That's not even close to true. This is a very large state with the largest area of protected land in the contiguous 48 states, known as the Adirondack Park. It's huge. There are bears, mountain lions, bobcats, moose, coyote, and even perhaps wolves.

I haven't yet seen a moose or bear in my neighborhood but they're here. A juvenile moose showed up at hubby's workplace last year, sprinted through the county seat, swam across the Hudson River and had an outing in Albany County before State Conservation Officers darted him and relocated him to Adirondack Park. My neighbors have seen bears but I've not been so lucky yet.

At my house we've had/have:

Blue Herons
    Hawks (several species)
    Turkey
    Quail
    Deer
    Grey squirrels, red squirrels, chipmunks
    Least weasels
    Skunks
    That rare woodpecker whose name I can never remember
    Bats
    Field mice
    Songbirds up the wazoo (also hummingbirds, purplebear)
    Tons of frogs (I know their numbers are declining but not at my house)
    Several species of salamanders
    Garter snakes (good thing I like snakes coz we have lots of them)

New York is a very diverse place. I like to say if you can't find something here to love then you're not looking hard enough or you're impossible to please. I love New York (except for the taxes and the state government)!

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Living in Lake Creek Canyon at the base of the Uinta forest, we're fortunate. Seeing lots of wildlife is something I think I've come to take for granted. Early mornings over coffee from the kitchen table include Moose, Elk, Mule Deer and even a Porcupine that hangs out in the yard. Our dogs are accustomed to that critter...they don't pay much attention to him (smart mutts). We hear coyotes talking back and forth across the canyon regularly during summer nights. And although I didn't see them, a brown bear and a cougar were in the neighborhood this past summer. We have a bald eagle that lives near the base of the sub-division. Seen that guy a few times. Amazing.

Here are a few photos (have to credit my wife Danette again for these...they're published on her blog):

(An Elk and Mule Deer across the street last spring)

(Mr. Moose getting some sun in our driveway late last winter)

(Oh, that's just Chip - Our Aussie Shephard/Lab mix)

Edit: If you're interested here is a YouTube clip of a couple of cow moose sparring, that I shot from the back deck at dawn a couple of months ago.

"Most people who aren't familiar with New York tend to think of it as nothing more than New York City and a bunch of suburbs."

Have never been there cept drove thru when real little I think for a world's fair or somethin but don't remember at all. But.....have a bil who used to have an apple orchard in New York so I knew there was country in it somewhere. lol Have seen a little on tv too. It's a very pretty state

I remember you posting when the moose was spotted near your husband's work New York might be a little like Pennsylvania in some respects. Altho don't think Bullwinkle and his relatives are here anywhere. We may have elk, tho. We do have bear. (besides me lol ) My Mom saw a bear when she was younger in upstate Pa and hubby's seen em up there, too.

That link you gave is a great site. Looked around it a bit and has lottsa info.

Forgot, have seen a woodpecker. Don't know what type, just he had some red on him. (spotted him in my dogwood tree while hummingbird watching) I know skunks are here but haven't seen any. That probably may be a good thing, tho. lol Sorry Stinky lol not including you. Just don't think I'd wanna be close enough to a skunk to have him get nervous or anything and get rather smelly. lol

Have seen bats. My niece had em living behind her shutters and we see em at night on our deck.

Definitely have snakes. Scared the _____ outa me once while fishing. Were walking, looked down and hubby said he's never seen me jump so fast or sooooo high. lol Was a big black one. Think I scared him probably more than he did me, tho. He really moved quickly. lol

"Songbirds up the wazoo (also hummingbirds, purplebear)"
    What color are yours? Think we're supposed to have 2 colors of em here but have only seen the green ones with the red necks (the males)

Have seen field mice and love the little fellas Nope...uhhhh they haven't been in my house which is probably why I love em. Everybody says they'll do a lotta damage.

What you said is a really good saying and agree with ya from what I've seen on that link and on tv.

" Porcupine "
    ooooh, never seen one of them.

The mule deer look similar to ours I think. Not sure if there's a difference or not?? Do they have white tails?

Ummm don't know if it's just me and maybe I shouldn't say it. lol But....ummm does anybody else think that Gary's Mr. Moose kinda looks like he's laughing??

Awwwhhh Chip's cute you should post a photo of your snowball, too

oooooh Gary the cow moose sparring was reallllly cool

yeap.....am lovin this thread yeaaaaahh Rhea

It's all about perspective. Being born and raised on the west coast, what I call the boondocks is a lonely road where you drive many many miles without seeing so much as a building or even a side road. When I look at a road map of the entire US, the roads on the eastern side are so concentrated there's hardly a bare spot.

X

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byerly
    It's all about perspective. Being born and raised on the west coast, what I call the boondocks is a lonely road where you drive many many miles without seeing so much as a building or even a side road. When I look at a road map of the entire US, the roads on the eastern side are so concentrated there's hardly a bare spot.
    Yup. There are places in NYS like that. Maybe a broken down barn on that barren road.
    Deborah Carney

Look harder, or better yet take a trip east and see for yourself!

And while the east coast has the Bos-Wash corridor let's not forget that the west coast has the LA-SF-Seattle corridor. Neither corridor defines each region; they're merely parts of it.

Purplebear, we only have Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds in the eastern U.S. Unfortunately.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread