More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Trackbacks Not Accepted, Now What?
    I recently started using trackbacks, where I write posts related to an existing post of another blog and I enter their posted trackback URL. Also, I link to their blog post within my post. I am using Wordpress. So far, of 5 posts featuring trackbacks to 5 different blogs, only 1 has posted a link to my post.

Now what? It has only been a few days. Does it sometimes take a week or more? Wait a bit? Should I contact the blog owners or perhaps simply post a link to my post in their comments area?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I would try contacting them, sometimes they think it's just spam. I turned down a trackback recently where the individual had just copied my post verbatim and stuck it on their site, hotlinked image and all. If they had contacted me so that we could agree on a better solution I would have allowed it.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    I would try contacting them, sometimes they think it's just spam. I turned down a trackback recently where the individual had just copied my post verbatim and stuck it on their site, hotlinked image and all. If they had contacted me so that we could agree on a better solution I would have allowed it.
    People can import your rss feed without asking, that will pull in your posts with pics and links intact to any blog.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Perhaps they have trackbacks disabled. I did that to some of my sites since only sploggers seem to show up anyway.

http and a telephoto
    Post a link in their comments area, that will get their attention and they will either leave it or delete it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I myself don't have the time to go in and approve trackbacks, Have big enough issues with spam to deal with. Thats just me though.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

People can import your rss feed without asking, that will pull in your posts with pics and links intact to any blog.
    No, this was not a RSS import or feed, it was just copied and stuck on a crappy unrelated page. I renamed the image.

Thanks for the replies. I will give it another day and then try contacting them. I would imagine some blog owners get buried with spam trackbacks.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I guess it depends on the post but if someone contacted me about a trackback I'd scratch my head in confusion, say okay, and delete.

Now if someone contacted me to let me know they enjoyed or hated my post and they they've written a response then okay, that's a different story.

snap... I delete most of the trackbacks to my site as they are normally spam....thats if akismet lets me have em anyway
    :approval:

Beth aka 1stAngel
    [URL=http://1stangel.co.uk]1stAngel Arts Magazine[/URL]
    [URL=http://galileowasright.com]Galileo Was Right[/URL]

Sounds like trackbacks are just another nifty thing rendered useless by spammers. And my posts, by the way, are not spam. Rather they are (real) content closely related to the bloggers post, with a link to their post.

I would think that if they are not accepting trackbacks, then they would not be displaying the trackback URL.

Update: Of the 4 blogs that did not post my trackback, 3 posted my comment with a link to my blog, and 1 of the 3 even sent a thank you comment back. So apparently, many blog owners are not aware of how trackbacks work and/or they inundated with so much trackback spam they delete all the requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Update: Of the 4 blogs that did not post my trackback, 3 posted my comment with a link to my blog, and 1 of the 3 even sent a thank you comment back. So apparently, many blog owners are not aware of how trackbacks work and/or they inundated with so much trackback spam they delete all the requests.
    I currently have WP installed on 15 websites, several of them as a "pure" blog, and the others as a CMS for displaying affiliate products and links.

I have NEVER really understood trackbacks -- how they are generated, where they come from, what might be good and what might be bad about them.

Mostly I've only recently started getting any trackbacks, so I've never taken time to figure out just what they are and how they work.

And on most of my sites that are CMS/affiliate marketing installs of WP, I have the comment/trackback function turned off.

After reading this thread, guess I better take time to do some research and learn about trackbacks. *sigh* more stuff to do.
    Generate more fake news.

trackjbacks IF used properly, like most things, are excellent things to have. Unfortunately, as you say, there are a lot of spammers out there.

I use Akismet for my blogs and it works beautifully and now, if I see a trackback it usually means it is real and worth having.

I will say to everyone that following trackbacks is good... links mean traffic. BUT always have a quick look at where it is coming from. If you are liking the site it came from accept it, if not then dont.

I actually just ok'd 4 trackbacks that are from great sites... Means they have my link showing and I have theirs
    :approval:

Beth aka 1stAngel
    [URL=http://1stangel.co.uk]1stAngel Arts Magazine[/URL]
    [URL=http://galileowasright.com]Galileo Was Right[/URL]

writerguy, the whole problem with much of web 2.0 is that the developers like to come up with cute terms that tend to confuse. Rather than call them "Trackbacks" call them "Blog Posts That are Related to Your Blog and Link To Your Blog", or at least include that definition. And instead of calling them "Pings", call them "Notifications of Blog Posts That are Related to Your Blog and Link To Your Blog Needing Your Approval". Once you understand this, and where to post the trackback URL, it is simple. Legitimate trackbacks are wonderful ways to promote your blog and if bloggers really knew what they were, they would approve them, provided they were not SPAM. Here's an article and video http://www.jackhumphrey.com/fridaytr...s-and-traffic/ It is fairly simple, once you understand the jargon. Unfortunately, spammers make it a point to pick up on this type of tool and destroy it before most folks even comprehend it. I think I will simply stick to posting a comment citing my post, if my post is related and of value to the other person's blog.

I realize this is an old thread, but since I came here looking to learn how to use trackbacks, found the jackhumphrey link from Cheesehead very helpful, and have started using them, I wanted to add to the conversation with one or two things I've learned.

I know that linking to another Wordpress blog from within my Wordpress post will automatically send a pingback to the other blog, so I don't need to type in the trackback URL in the space below my edit field for my post. What I don't always know, is whether the blog I'm linking to is using Wordpress.

So I've found it helpful to just link to another blog, then go to that blog and see whether a snippet from my post shows up in their comments. If so, I'm guessing that means they are using Wordpress and everything seems to be working behind the scenes.

If it doesn't appear that they have trackbacks, and linking to their post doesn't show anything in the comments, then I can always go the route of adding a manual comment to their post, but tell them I've used that post as a basis for my own post, with a link to my blog.

For what it is worth anyway...
    Adam Ward, [URL="http://esilverbullet.com"]eSilverBullet[/URL]: software tools for affiliate marketing
    The eSilverBullet [URL="http://esilverbullet.com/blog"]blog[/URL]

Trackbacks are useless most people add the nofollow tag to them anyway from what I've seen and they are ust spammy I don't accept them on either of my sites unless it is obvious it isn't spam.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread