Hi all!

I’m changing our commission structure around and what I think is the most fair structure is pretty non-traditional in affiliate marketing and it can’t really be programmed in CJ. I would have to put in manual bonuses. I wanted your opinion on the commission structure and to see which one you would prefer.

OK, we have three types of sales. The user decides which sale they want when they get to the site. Here are our three types of products. (The commission structure I mention is based on what I will propose to the CEO, not what we currently have.)

-- A LA CARTE -- a purchase of a single book – 10 to 12% of the sale

-- NON COMMITTED LISTENER -- customer signs up for a year, but there is no commitment to fulfill it. Two plans to choose from -- get one audio magazine, newspaper or radio program plus one audio book each month for just $14.95 a month or get two audio books each month for just $19.95 a month. $5 to $7

-- COMMITTED LISTENER -- customer commits for a year. Again, we have two audio plans to choose from -- get one audio magazine, newspaper or radio program plus one audio book each month for just $14.95 a month or get two audio books each month for just $19.95 a month. $15 to $20

OK, so here is my issue. I want to tier the commission structure so the more an affiliate sells, the more the affiliate gets paid for each sale.

I could tier each type of sale – a la carte, non-committed listener, and committed listener. This is pretty standard. So, for example, on a A LA CARTE sale, it might be tiered from 12% as the base, to 13% of the affiliate sells $1000, 15% if the affiliate sells $5000, and 17% if the affiliate sells $10,000 in a month. You all are familiar with this.

Here is the issue. What happens if an affiliate partner is close to the next level in all three categories, but does not make it? It seems unfair to not reward that partner.

I was thinking of creating a system (I’m pulling these numbers out of the air, just as an example), if the affiliate hits a threshold, they get bonus. So, if the commission is $500, there is a 20% bonus, $1000 a 40% bonus, etc. It seems pretty simple, but I’ve never seen an affiliate program commission set up this way.

Which do you guys prefer? CJ can not programmed for the bonus system, so I would need to manually make changes which is fine, but affiliates wont see the bonus until the end of the month. Will people mind this, does it work against creating an incentive. Do you all think that is a problem?

Please let me know what you think. I want to make a commission program people really like that rewards them; however, everyone needs to understand it.

Thanks so much for your opinion!!!!

Cheers,

Beth
    www.audible.com

I like the idea of going to a percentage for the a la carte sales. Once you get your datafeed outside of CJ, I suspect these will be the bulk of my sales.

I'd like it even better if it wasn't set up as a "1 time" cookie, but I guess you can't have it all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Which do you guys prefer? CJ can not programmed for the bonus system, so I would need to manually make changes which is fine, but affiliates wont see the bonus until the end of the month. Will people mind this, does it work against creating an incentive. Do you all think that is a problem? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think, as long as you state "Bonuses will be manually inputted by X date each month" this will create a lot of credibility with the affiliates, as long as it is posted by that date each month.

On your end, though, I would look for a date within the first seven days of the month to post the bonus for the previous month. By doing this, then our money is sitting there when CJ pays us on the 20th.

Keep up the good work Beth! I don't get too excited about many programs, but this one is starting to look really good. As soon as you get the non-cj datafeed ready, I've got some real estate for you.

-----------------------------
    Scott

"Can't we all just get along? Only when we've been drinking."

Scott,

OK, I can't do the bonus system because CJ does not include bonuses in EPC caluclations. However, I'm not sure it's going to be a big deal because our new commissions structure is more than fair.

THE GOOD NEWS is I'm asking for mulitple time cookies. I'll fight for every dime I can pay you guys. Just think of me as your Audible advocate!!!!!!!

That said, not sure I'll get it, but I'm trying. And, I'll fight for it.

btw, I'm proposing a new customer bounty on A LA CARTE sales.

Also, we're tiering all commision structures and A LA Carte will be based on % of sales.

Here is one you'll like. 40% of our CJ affiliate sales are subscriptions. That will be a $15 to $20 commission! And this is not a hard product to sell.

The way we're going to ensure affilaite users subscribe to Audible ( as opposed to making an A LA CARTE purchase) to focus on the hand-off from the affilaite site to the Audible site. If we both work on this hand-off, affilaites will do well.

To move this process along, I'm working on changing the landing page the user sees from affiliate sites.

I'm also going to write PDF on how to sell Audible to help affiliates with that hand-off -- Chris did a great one for Mondera.

Finally, we have big promos in encourage users to sign up for a year. $50 to $75 off the PDA of their choice, $50 to $75 a iPod, or a free MP3 player.

I'm really glad you're excited! Audible, from the CEO, CFO, down to everyone in the marketing program is very committed to building a very strong and attractive program for affilaites.

We have strong growth objectives, and they way we're going to get there is with affilaites being a part of the team and we want to make sure that affilaites want to work with us and are well treated for doing so.

Cheers,

Beth

Scoot,

I got everything I wanted from the CFO and CEO for the commission structure. This will be a great program!

I'll post the details soon.

But, quickly, I got 60 tracking cookies for all sales. It helped to show people your post from earlier to make this happen. Nice timing!

Happy thanksgiving all!

Cheers,

Beth

Any word Beth?

And how about that non-CJ datafeed?

Scott

Scott,

I was just waiting for the tech team to let me know that we can do all the changes in a reasonable amount of time. I still have not heard from them, but I have a meeting Monday to discuss the issues. I'll post after the meeting.

To answer your other question, we are doing feeds in and out of CJ feed. There will be four feeds outside of CJ.

(1) All products
    (2) top 200 best sellers
    (3) Top 20 sellers each category
    (4) Bargain bin

These are the fields, did I miss anything?

 Last Updated
     Name
     Category
     Keywords
     Short description
     Long description
     SKU
     ISBN
     Currency
     Sale Price
     Our Price
     Retail Price
     Buy URL
     Impression URL
     Thumb Nail URL
     Large Image URL
     Average Customer Rating
     Author
     Audio Length
     Title
     Publisher
     Format
     Promotional text

Also, our plan is to do it in XML as opposed to a CSV, or tab delimitated because the developers say it's more powerful.

Do people have a preference on this?

Happy Friday everyone!

Thanks

Beth

I don't know about anyone else, but I have no idea what to do with XML.

I'm going to be purchasing the full version of Webmerge in the next couple of days (courtesy of the lovely and talented Jessica of IAN fame) and I know I could use the CSV or tab delimitated with it very easily.

Your the AM and your decision, but it's my opinion that more affiliates know how to use CSV and tab delimitated feeds than XML. I could be wrong, so you may want to get other affiliate's input.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>To answer your other question, we are doing feeds in and out of CJ feed. There will be four feeds outside of CJ.

(1) All products
    (2) top 200 best sellers
    (3) Top 20 sellers each category
    (4) Bargain bin
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I just hope I can use the feed when it's released.

Scott

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Beth
    I had e mailed a long time ago to audible asking about being able to redirect a text link to specific pages. Never got an answer at that time.
    Is there any possabiliy of having this put in place
    I have a niche specific site and would welcome a bit more flexability with it
    Thanks

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TravelDepot:
    I don't know about anyone else, but I have no idea what to do with XML.

Your the AM and your decision, but it's my opinion that more affiliates know how to use CSV and tab delimitated feeds than XML. I could be wrong, so you may want to get other affiliate's input.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard this from a number of affiliates. I think I'll post a poll on Monday when I have time to respond as opposed to know when I'm trying to knock out some Christmas shopping.

But, I think the solution might be to do both. I want everyone to be able to use it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Sounds good! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I just hope I can use the feed when it's released.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not even the fun part of what I'm working on. Wait until you see our affilaite program ABW forum launch promos.

I can't wait until all the pieces are together and I can announce everything at once. It's a pretty attractive program.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walleye warrior:
    Beth
    I had e mailed a long time ago to audible asking about being able to redirect a text link to specific pages. Never got an answer at that time.
    Is there any possabiliy of having this put in place
    I have a niche specific site and would welcome a bit more flexability with it
    Thanks

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WW,

I'm so sorry no one ever got back to you. There has never been an AM at this company and was hired to ramp the program and make sure affilaite partnerships are taken care of. Email me your question. My email is bkirsch and add @audible.com (trying to avoid the spam spiders!)

Cheers,

Beth

ABW Ambassador
    My request and question was in the post
    Need the ability to do redirects to specific pages

WW

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walleye warrior:
    My request and question was in the post
    Need the ability to do redirects to specific pages

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WW,

Ok, I'm a marketer, not a coder, so I don't really understand what you're asking for -- that is why I asked y ou to email me. If you explain exactly what you need, I can chat with the tech team about it. If it's not to much work, I'm sure we can make it work.

Cheers,

Beth

WW,

I checked with our developer and asked about your post. He thought you wanted to link a specific page of ours. We can help you with that. Just let me know what page. Or I can set up a text link for you.

Cheers,

Beth

IMHO,all programs should have a redirectable link.
    Beth, Look at Zappos link ID 4048741. It allows you to change the destination URL to any page on their site. I feel that it is an extremely useful tool.

CDC

I second what CDC said and not just cuz he is my little brother he he redirect links are invaluable.

"I did'nt get where I'm at today by worrying about how I'm going to feel tomorrow."

ABW Ambassador
    Umm what cdc and robert said
    Many would like to take any page and be able to link to it using the advanced options feature when we generate codes. Many merchants do this have this already and CJ must show or give this option to all merchants.

WW

Thanks guys!

OK, got it, I'll make sure to get on it and chat with the developers about it.

Cheers,

Beth

[This message was edited by Beth Kirsch on December 09, 2003 at 10:09 AM.]

Guys,

After some reseach today, it seems that we can't do links like Zappos because our site is built in JavaScript. We'll build a page linking tool, but it will take a little time.

WW,

Post what pages (You need to describe the page as opposed to post a link because our links time out which is why the CJ method wont work) you want to link to and I'll have our developer pop in and post how to link to those pages with cj tracking.

Cheers,

Beth

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for checking Beth
    I will be re doing site around or after xmas rush and will advise once I have the planned updated look finalized and pages I need a link to finalized

WW

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread