how does a site like fatwallet or ebates.com negotiate with various merchants on how much commission they'd get from sales through their links?

do they go through standard affiliate programs like commission junction? or do they negotiate directly with merchants?

This is is from 2003? Right?

Marc- Looking to hire someone to get my coupon site up and running. Do you think you could give me a referral? I have talked with a few web developers and many of them want to thousands of $$$ in consultation-before they start and I am getting prices from $4,000 to $80,000. None of these folks have convinced me that they can accomplish what many of you have. I appreciate your help!

http and a telephoto
    Split off from a thread from 2003. Folks sometimes a new thread is better than reviving an old one.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by cashcash
    how does a site like fatwallet or ebates.com negotiate with various merchants on how much commission they'd get from sales through their links?

do they go through standard affiliate programs like commission junction? or do they negotiate directly with merchants?
    There are many ways to approach a merchant about special commission rates but the bottom line is you need to show them that you are able to produce results before you go asking for a better than average deal. Some merchants will be glad to give you a higher rate upfront because you are motivated and interested, others will want you to prove you can produce sales first.

And some will stay on network and others will go with private tracking. It's all up to the individual merchant and how they work and what technical capabilities they have.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by jg1907
    Marc- Looking to hire someone to get my coupon site up and running. Do you think you could give me a referral? I have talked with a few web developers and many of them want to thousands of $$$ in consultation-before they start and I am getting prices from $4,000 to $80,000. None of these folks have convinced me that they can accomplish what many of you have. I appreciate your help!
    Marc's last post was in 2007, not sure if he is around to answer you. Coupon sites are not inexpensive to create and run. $4000 sounds like a steal!
    Deborah Carney

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by cashcash

1) Sell your company and show the merchant that you will bring value to the merchant.
    2) Look at the baseline that the merchant is offering.
    Let's say they are offering 4%, what value can you bring on to ask for more than 4%. Let's say you are offering them the ability to reach a niche customers of affulent Mothers and the merchant is selling baby car seats. Bam, you have a good chance.

Other things you want to look at is volume, demographics, PPC vs non-ppc, etc.

All the best!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    There are many ways to approach a merchant about special commission rates but the bottom line is you need to show them that you are able to produce results before you go asking for a better than average deal. Some merchants will be glad to give you a higher rate upfront because you are motivated and interested, others will want you to prove you can produce sales first.

And some will stay on network and others will go with private tracking. It's all up to the individual merchant and how they work and what technical capabilities they have.
    All is very true.

Sometimes you can get a mechant to give you a higher commision right off the bat, but usually the best way to go about doing it is to become a solid performer. Show them that you are consistently generating above-average sales or that your site is totally different from most other affiliate sites. The goal is to turn yourself into an asset to that merchant, an asset that they will want to keep even if it means paying a higher commission.

When you become a real power-seller, the merchant will not only want to keep you seling for them but will also want to prevent you from focusing your efforts on one of their competitors.

As to wether or not you go through the network or the merchant directly all depends upon the merchant. It is best to first contact the merchant directly if at all possible and then go from there with it.

When you become a real power-seller, the merchant will not only want to keep you seling for them but will also want to prevent you from focusing your efforts on one of their competitors.
    I agree, I have better success asking for commission boosts when I have sent some significant sales to the merchant. I have success with meeting in person with the merchant's affiliate manager at trade shows. I make an appointment in advance and come prepared with facts and figures. Affiliate Summit is coming up!

Quote Originally Posted by nobugs
    Sometimes you can get a mechant to give you a higher commision right off the bat, but usually the best way to go about doing it is to become a solid performer.
    There is a circular dependency here for websites that are driving traffic via PPC. I have merchants who want to be on my site because they see that my site dominates paid search results for their niche, but they are not willing to pay competitive commissions. I can't afford to give them results if they don't pay enough to fund the PPC campaigns.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I wonder how coupon sites get any commission rates bumped.

Lets say I am the #1 SE affiliate for the term 'merchantname coupons' driving a ton of traffic.

Why would any AM want to increase my commission?, since if I wasn't #1, or didnt offer their coupons, so what, there are 100 other sites lined up behind me offering the same coupons on google?

I could offer the merchant better placement on my site, but people generally just want a coupon when they need it anyway, so not a lot of benefit to them.

http and a telephoto
    simcat, it depends on if you are driving new traffic, and if you are doing more than just putting a coupon on a page. And whether you *consistently* rank number 1 for that term. Lots of coupon sites work very hard to get that number 1 ranking.
    Deborah Carney

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    For my merchants you have to show numbers before I can get a higher commission for you. If you just ask for a higher commission and have no track record then I will have to see sales before giving a higher payout. If you are a known producer in another program then its a no-brainer if you commit to sending traffic and ask for a higher commission. Performance based programs require performance!

jg1907: email me at chuck@hamrick.biz and I will hook you up with a coupon management beta I am working with.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread