Need WP plugin for social bookmarking
    I've used "AddThis" and I've used "ShareThis" both as plugins to show the "Share This" or "Bookmark This," etc., menu at the bottom of blog posts in WP.

I just looked closely at what these plugins do and I was really somewhere between puzzled and outright angered.

1. "AddThis" -- turns out you've got to create separate accounts for each button if you want to track sites for multiple blogs. Duh. Since I want to use this on about 40 blogs, I have no desire to create 40 different accounts.

2. "ShareThis" -- Biggest surprise of all: If you install the plugin on your blog but are not logged into your "ShareThis" account when you nab the code from "ShareThis" -- it will forever show that particular domain as "not verified" and never track stats. I have spent a WHOLE WEEK sending "Feedback" email as per the "ShareThis" site BEGGING them to please verify my list of domains where I'm using "ShareThis" -- so far they've verified one out of 12.

Any simple, really useful way to install a "Social Bookmarking" button of some sort on WP that actually tracks stats and doesn't require 20-40 new account creations or an ignorant support staff??

Maybe it's not worth the effort anyway? Any of you find these "Bookmark This" or "Share This" button useful?
    Generate more fake news.

Any simple, really useful way to install a "Social Bookmarking" button of some sort on WP that actually tracks stats and doesn't require 20-40 new account creations or an ignorant support staff??
    The whole point of these is not for YOU to use them but for your visitors, and each visitor will be a member of one or more of these sites. They then (if they like your stuff) will share it with that site and not the others.

Thats what the social adds are for
    :approval:

Beth aka 1stAngel
    [URL=http://1stangel.co.uk]1stAngel Arts Magazine[/URL]
    [URL=http://galileowasright.com]Galileo Was Right[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by 1stAngel
    The whole point of these is not for YOU to use them but for your visitors, and each visitor will be a member of one or more of these sites. They then (if they like your stuff) will share it with that site and not the others.

Thats what the social adds are for
    Yes, I understand that part. I probably never made myself clear.

The problem I'm talking about is if I wish to you "AddThis" or "ShareThis" to track stats for the sites on which I have the buttons. "ShareThis" requires each domain where I have a WP install with their button to be "verified." At this point, I have it on 14 of my WP installs on 14 domains. Since I wasn't logged into my "ShareThis" account when I got the code for a particular domain, that domain shows up as "Not Verified." Rather than having a way to verify said domains (12 of the 14 are "Not Verified"), they require you to use their "Feedback" to tell their support people about the unverified domains. Which I did. They sent me email saying they would take care of the matter promptly. That was 6 days ago and they have verified ONE of the "Not Verified" domains in that time frame.

Likewise, if you use "AddThis," they will only track stats on the username/account you created when you signed up. Their FAQ says if you wish to track stats for separate domains/WP installs/whatever, you need to create a separate account for each domain/install.

I suspect I'll just give up on tracking stats in this case and use the same "AddThis" account on all my WP installs.
    Generate more fake news.

I haven't looked to see whether or not they track stats, but I've used the Social Bookmarking Reloaded plug in and like it pretty well.

for stats I use feedburner .. I dont use the social tags for stats as that would take forever checking them. and Google Analytics of course as thats much quicker... What can you check with the social bookmark plugin? Dont think I am understanding this LOL

Beth aka 1stAngel

AddThis lets you log in and see the number of bookmarks and to which of the listed sites (Digg, Facebook, etc.) Not useful info to me, but that's me. For some kinds of traffic it might help to know where they hang around.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stAngel
    Dont think I am understanding this LOL
    Probably I'm not thinking "stats" when I'm saying "stats" -- or vice versa?

The two I've mentioned here and have tried -- AddThis and ShareThis -- track stats on the various bookmarking sites which people have clicked from the button linked to your specific account. They don't really track "stats" which are all that important, I suppose, when you get right down to it.

If I'm using the stupid little button thingies, though, I would like to have them tell me X people clicked the Twitter link; X people clicked Digg, etc.

In the end, such stats aren't all that important. As the newest version of the AddThis WP plugin says, if you don't bother to put in a username, it'll not "track" such stats -- but it will still function fully well for letting people bookmark or whatever your site using their little interface.

So, no, they really don't track "stats" in the sense of Google Analytics and such.

Mostly, I guess, I was just feeling grumpy that both these buttons offer click tracking, but then really DON'T work for tracking all that well.

Ah, well. It's Monday. Been a long, soggy weekend here in Springfield, Mo., and my brain seems a bit foggy/soggy, too.
    Generate more fake news.

Ah got ya I know what you mean now and yes, it would be cool to know that, but we got too much to do to be worrying about this Have a break and akitkat and unfoggy your brain x

Beth aka 1stAngel

wow thats great. at least it could be still counted as a click.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    If I'm using the stupid little button thingies, though, I would like to have them tell me X people clicked the Twitter link; X people clicked Digg, etc.
    I'm real close to removing AddThis from my sites. It keeps putting an invisible small flash image on web pages that don't have the button. It's like a tracking pixil that you won't see without the Firefox flash blocker AddOn.

A little follow up on my last post here. There is a post on The AddThis Users Forum. Today I was on another website and it popped the .swf image http://bin.clearspring.com/at/v/1/button1.swf It was the site for House of Nutrition and they don't even use AddThis.

That thing loads often now out of the blue. You won't even know it unless you use Flash Blocker addon in FF. I'm getting rid of AddThis now.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    A little follow up on my last post here. There is a post on The AddThis Users Forum. Today I was on another website and it popped the .swf image http://bin.clearspring.com/at/v/1/button1.swf It was the site for House of Nutrition and they don't even use AddThis.

That thing loads often now out of the blue. You won't even know it unless you use Flash Blocker addon in FF. I'm getting rid of AddThis now.
    I got rid of AddThis in favor of ShareThis months ago, but this definitely makes me glad I did! Thanks for telling us about this, I had no idea.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread