Must be a new scam on Pub Clearing
    My Dad just recieved a authenic looking 2nd place winner announcement that appears to be from Publishers Clearing House.
    Has a Gold seal and everything, claiming he had won 1 million in the 2nd place drawing.
    The check enclosed was on a Funeral Home in Wi, for the amount of $1,500
    The bank didn't want anything to do with the check. Said it was fake and that he should contact PCH with photo copies of it.
    While looking closer I could see there was no watermarks on the certificate and no impressing marks on gold seal or the check.

Just a heads up for the members here.
    The address on the check is one for the funeral home there also. The only thing that isn't correct is the last four extended digits of the zip code.
    check has 3527 which is a PO box. I believe.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

Banned
    PCH has been involved in some controversy in the past, but what you are experienceing is a fraud that is not affiliated with PCH. Here is a warning about these scams. Here is another warning on their official site.

PCH is a legtimate sweepstakes, but it is difficult to win and their main goal is to sell you all kinds of magazines.

superCool was worried that someone was perpetrating a scam to clear out pubs. now THAT would be a travesty! superCool has come close to winning the PCH sweepstakes many times. he remembers as a youngster how his name was often prominently displayed on the list of potential winners. always so close, but yet so far.

at least the pubs won't be cleared....thanks goodness for that!

superCool out

Thanks nobugs,
    the 1st link was right on. certificate looks just like that.
    But my dad did try and cash the check, so had the bank not been aware of this he may have been a victum too.

And they get more clever and better as time goes on. Not surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence
    My Dad just recieved a authenic looking 2nd place winner announcement that appears to be from Publishers Clearing House.
    Has a Gold seal and everything, claiming he had won 1 million in the 2nd place drawing.
    The check enclosed was on a Funeral Home in Wi, for the amount of $1,500
    The bank didn't want anything to do with the check. Said it was fake and that he should contact PCH with photo copies of it.
    Do that means that you tried to cash that check?

I thought that you should knew better than that by now...

Nothing like getting up at 6am and having a message like this in your mail box from the smile master. lol
    WELL YEA.
    How else do you think I was going to get that bank of 12 LCDs???

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    First thing you do when you get a check in the mail for 1 million dollars or 25 million dollars. Tear it up.

Seriously.. if you won 1 million dollars, they would have sent it via certified carrier + they would have hyped up their company (unless it is a state lottery). If my company is donating 1 million, i would want to get my company's name out there for honoring the promotion or donation.

Mail Scam like this have been around for 10-20 years and Nigerian online scams.. maybe 5-10 years. It's the oldest trick in the book. Will people ever learn?

Eric,
    My dad turned 80 years old on June 2nd.
    And tho he is a step dad, one of the biggest hearted people you would ever want to meet.
    When my mother came down with cancer the second time 5 years ago, this man cared for her hand and foot till the very end. I'll say he did things for her that my sisters and I, just don't think we could have done it on a daily basis.
    And after looking at these documents I can clearly see how someone at this age could be tricked into giving up their life savings.
    Tho I've been in computers sence 1973, I have my dought if he has ever used one any time in his life, other than watch others when they were in business in the family store.

ABW Ambassador
    The people that fall for these scams should not be labeled as stupid or foolish or whatever.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nobugs
    PCH is a legtimate sweepstakes, but it is difficult to win and their main goal is to sell you all kinds of magazines.
    And all kinds of other too.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Bob.. sorry if i offended you and it was not targeted towards you or your dad. I just feel frustrated with those companies, and also the lack of education to educate the public about this.

My apologies and have a happy new year.

No, not at all there Eric.
    I thought maybe when the smile master was kidding me there you thought I tried to cash it. As authenic as the certicate and check looks at a usual glance I can see why my Dad tried tho knowing his finances after mom pasted away.
    Cancer treatments are not cheap. Tho the first time did give the family another 10 years with her.
    The second time it was just too late of a catch as it was spreading thro her brain. And she was just too weak to fight it with those treatments.
    So no I wasn't offended. Just thought you miss read the thread, like I seem to do too often. Sorry I do the family [ABW]. I promise to try and to better in 2009. Happy New Year 2 Everyone Here.
    Last edited by Bob Lawrence; December 31st, 2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Added not underlined it

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread