...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    How Google views bounce rates...
    Always have been concerned with this...

Visitor comes to your site - lands directly on a relevant page - leaves your site by following an affiliate link...

That can't be all good for your site in Google's eyes...

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...rate-questions

ABW Ambassador
    Not something I would worry about at all. But the only way they would know this is if you use Google Analytics? Never understood people (affiliates) putting that on their pages when you can use something else, that's not a search engine.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Not something I would worry about at all. But the only way they would know this is if you use Google Analytics? Never understood people (affiliates) putting that on their pages when you can use something else, that's not a search engine.

I imagine GA is one way they track, another is if the visitor uses Chrome.

I don't use GA on any of my stores, either - but I'm going to double check some of my earlier stores, just in case.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    GA ain't the only way they can know what users are doing, naive to assume that... tools they publish where you're signed in, indirect behavior monitoring, algorithmic comparison of like constructed sites, those trucks packed with computers and designed to be mobile internet gateways, global datacenters, chrome browser, free wireless access points they've done as ongoing city experiments, their domain registrar status, g-phone connectivity and on and on...

Separately, I do think there's a problem with page based bounce rates - if you deliver the needed information on a single page, without interaction, it's a bounce when measured on a page basis. Of course, time based suffers the same malady if you deliver the information quickly. So... bounce has to be taken into consideration, put alongside other metrics, in a grossly funnel shaped process, considering stage, to make the most sense, and therefore utility.

I also dislike what the bounce mentality is doing to the internet... ever read one of the news articles where you have to click to see the rest of the article... between the court's 400-word ruling on infringement and page based bounce calculations, i see people designing pages with less than what people are looking for... which will surely impact their end-stage metrics (like conversions) to gain for upper funnel bounce metrics, and that's a pretty stupid move.

ABW Ambassador
    "GA ain't the only way they can know what users are doing, naive to assume that... "

Was talking specifically about bounce rate, some of the stuff you mentioned has nothing to do with that but some other stuff possibly does like Chrome, Toolbar etc.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    what items did i list that you think have "nothing to do with" specifically aiding google in calculating their very best guess at what bounce rate is?

Read the post and it has been added to a few of the forums

But it does not tell us anything we didn't know already

Talk about going viral for no good reason

At least 4 sites I have visited today have had the link to the webpronews post
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread