...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Broncos fire Coach...
    850KOA and the NFL Network reporter Adam Schefter has learned that Coach Mike Shanahan of the Broncos has been fired.

Tough biz...

ABW Ambassador
    Shanahan? That would be one of the biggest surprise firings in awhile.

The man was an institution in Denver. What's next? John Elway gonna retire???

Oh, yeah. Okay -- John Elway gonna come BACK?? LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Broncos fire Shanahan after 21 years with team

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3800768

So what team is going to pick him up? Jets, Browns, Lions, Chiefs, wondering if Dallas fans are hoping Jones will flip flop and fire Wade to get him.

And who will Denver get for coach, Cowher? Who else is out there.

I know they haven't won anything big in awhile but always thought he was a good coach. Curious to see the reaction from the Bronco fans.

Big news around here.

Some are speculating they wanted him to give up either his GM or coach job & do just one. And he would'nt.

Well I'm almost 100% certain he won't be going back to Al Davis

I would have bet $$$ that shanahan would have lasted longer than W Phillips in Dallas

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Many here in Denver have speculated this was coming. Mike has been a great coach for the Broncos. He will be appreciated and respected here always. While fans have nothing but respect for the guy, sometimes you just have to move on with fresh blood.

After a coach has been around for so long, player response to their leadership decreases. (familiarity breeds contempt) I wish Mike the best anywhere he chooses to go. There have been plenty of firings and more yet to come, and I'm sure he'll be a hot property. BTW, Wade Phillips has only been the Dallas head coach for two years, so I think Mike probably did outlast him, history will tell.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    Well I'm almost 100% certain he won't be going back to Al Davis
    You are an observant man C.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    "After a coach has been around for so long, player response to their leadership decreases. (familiarity breeds contempt)"

Not sure about that one, usually the opposite. I think it's more the owner that has the problem and that Shanahan hasn't really done much since Elway left. Saw something on ESPN about them only winning 1 playoff game in the last 8-10 years, something like that. And that he's brought in a lot of castaways that haven't panned out and goes against their salary cap. But he won't have a problem finding a job if he wants to coach this year.

It's the stale effect. If you placed a ppc ad on google 9 years ago and 9 years later it still says the same thing, response wanes. Mike has been a great coach. We were lucky to have him. I have no doubt that he could bring more superbowl victories here, but I think deep down he wants to move on to a new atmosphere too. Of course I "could" be wrong, but that would be a one in a million shot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    And who will Denver get for coach, Cowher? Who else is out there.
    I know I speak for many Chiefs' fans when I say: We'll let 'em have Herm Edwards. Free. No questions asked. If I lived a bit closer to KC, I'd even lead a team of friends up there and be willing to help old Herm pack.
    Generate more fake news.

I don't want Cowher either. Too volatile. Nor Herm. Nice guy but not for us. I prefer that KC or another AFC West team hires him!! LOL

Maybe we can get Dik'ka to come back and coach. Or maybe Tony Dungy is ready for a new home. Or what about Bill Billichek. Surely he is tired of the dynasty he has created in New England and the wicked weird accent those New Englanders have!!

The problem is you cannot do a head coaching job and be the GM. There is just too much work and something has to suffer.

The raiders are too much of a mess for him to go to Oakland, I could see him in KC or Maybe the Rams. How about the Cardinals, They didn't exactly play well down the stretch (I know they are in the playoffs) and he would be close to that new house he is building back in Denver. Its hard to find a good coach and when one become available teams react in funny ways.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    You are an observant man C.
    Sharper than the average marble, I am

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Oh hell, bring Elway in to coach the Broncos! He IS the Broncos so he might as well get back where he belongs.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Oh hell, bring Elway in to coach the Broncos! He IS the Broncos so he might as well get back where he belongs.
    \

Already speculation to bring him into management/personnel...perhaps to hire the next coach...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    \

Already speculation to bring him into management/personnel...perhaps to hire the next coach...
    The car biz is hurting so he might be very available. :-) I think it would be a great move to actually have Elway coach. Would bring new life *back* into the Broncos.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I just heard on Mike & Mike in the Morning that Shanahan has a pretty good relationship with Jerry Jones of the Cowboys. Either way I don't think he'll be out of work very long if he still wants to coach. I know the Lions would take him... On second thought, maybe not. They're not that smart!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    The car biz is hurting so he might be very available. :-) I think it would be a great move to actually have Elway coach. Would bring new life *back* into the Broncos.
    Actually my fine little friend, John has not had a stake in the car business for many years now. About 10 - 12 years ago he sold all of his dealerships to Wayne Huezinga (owner of the Dolphins etc) and cleared over $85 million profit on the sale. Now, he just gets paid to be a face for Wayne's commercials, so he's available!! (if you can get him off the golf course)

Actually my fine little friend, John has not had a stake in the car business for many years now. About 10 - 12 years ago he sold all of his dealerships to Wayne Huezinga (owner of the Dolphins etc) and cleared over $85 million profit on the sale. Now, he just gets paid to be a face for Wayne's commercials, so he's available!! (if you can get him off the golf course)
    Elway is a genius! sold his car dealerships when they were still worth something.
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontaine

Regarding Elway, just because you can do, doesn't mean you can coach.

but some can. I'm really glad Singletary was extended by the 49ers. I wish him all the succes, except when the Bears are in town.
    "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontaine

OK good to know he's smart AND can throw - I'd love to see him back with the Broncos in any capacity - He was SO what made them great. Would love to see them back on top.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Now Cutler is gone too. Sorry but Denver will join the ranks of the Oakland Raiders this year in the battle for worst AFC west team while the Charges once again make it to the playoffs as the only AFC West team to make it.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread