Hide site from search engines
    Usually getting the search engines to ignore my sites isn't a problem, they do it naturally. But I'm preparing to work on what will be a large site to launch next summer. In the mean time I don't want any search engine to index it or even note it. Primarily because there will be many changes in the link structure and code framework as I work on it and I don't want some long tail to show up in an engine that goes to 404's and confuse visitors or other engines as I go to launch.

I'm considering using a blank index.html page with META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW" in it the rest of the site will use .php pages. But will that keep all the engines from searching the rest of the site or do I need to have that in the header for every page?

Finally, if I use the meta tag, this summer when I'm ready to be indexed will the SE's come back and index it? What would need to be done to get them back, just submit a sitemap to them?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

You could build it in a password protected directory. Have you ever considered getting a WampServer on your own PC? It gives you the exact same set up as your hosted server and you never have to upload to the web. You can build it all offline. That's what I use now.

The blank landing page [index . html] with the header you describe should work. And place the same info in the .htaccess file. On top of all that you could do a perminate redirect to one of you other sites throught the control panel.
    Then when you are ready for lauch submit the site maps and undo the robot txt files and no follows and perminate redirect to the other site.
    If I'm wrong on this someone please correct both of us.
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    You could build it in a password protected directory. Have you ever considered getting a WampServer on your own PC? It gives you the exact same set up as your hosted server and you never have to upload to the web. You can build it all offline. That's what I use now.
    I've considered this in the past. For various reasons I've not been able to do it. But for this particular site due to the social interaction and some other php coding I'll likely need to get some help from a real programmer and of course someone to work on the template design since I know I can't design a site to save my life. I'm going to try to tackle most of it myself over the next month or so, but due to the short life cycle of this project when it's time to launch I need to make it work and look good right out of the gate.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lawrence
    The blank landing page [index . html] with the header you describe should work. And place the same info in the .htaccess file. On top of all that you could do a perminate redirect to one of you other sites throught the control panel.
    Then when you are ready for lauch submit the site maps and undo the robot txt files and no follows and perminate redirect to the other site.
    If I'm wrong on this someone please correct both of us.
    Would I use the .htaccess file or a robots.txt file? I don't think I'd want to do a redirect as that would possibly penalize the site(s) for duplicate content, at least until the new one is ready to launch.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I'd use both of them.
    John must have been doing his post while I was doing mine.
    John has probably been at the programing part longer than I have and I'm still learning everyday.
    Thats why I said if I was wrong please correct us.

John
    What would happen if the robots IPs were blocked during this time frame of construction?
    Just wondering here as a solution for him.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    You could build it in a password protected directory.
    Actually the more I think about it I like the password protected directory. I think that's what I'll do along with the .htacess, robots.txt and the meta tag noindex.

That ought to keep all those little buggers away from my work until it's ready for them.

Thanks guys!
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

You can always watch your log files too, just to make sure they are following the rules you laid out for them.

ABW Ambassador
    If your using PHP (like wot you said above) you can create a page that displays one thing to you, and another to the world.

You can do this by either using your IP (if its static) or creating a cookie for yourself or anyone else that may need to access the site.

PHP Code:
    <?php
    if(isset($_COOKIE['MYseekrutCookie']) and $_COOKIE['MYseekrutCookie'] == 'F5h$Yj&&34N(}{GFv5j'){
        include(
    '/home/mysite/directory/my page.inc.php');
    }else{
        include(
    '/home/mysite/directory/other_peoples_page.inc.php');
    //    $expire = mktime (1,1,1,1,1,2030);
    //    setcookie('MYseekrutCookie','F5h$Yj&&34N(}{GFv5j',$expire,"/");
    }
    ?>
    Ray...

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread