Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question about Twitter & its use
    .. some of you are experts on Twitter already, so please excuse what might be a dumb question!

I've been posting tweets lately (my site account), and picked up new followers, which I thought was great.

However, when I look at their profiles, they mostly seem to be fellow affiliates with their own sites/blogs, etc (one is a personal shopper who offers advice on her own site!).

I spend a LOT of time updating content, and in the past 6 months have become more of an authority in my niche. I was lucky enough to start early profiling of what turned out to be the hottest topic in 08. Backlinks are on the rise, and natural SERP is terrific. But as a result, I've also had to deal with scrapers & copyright violators this year, which hasn't been pleasant (one blogger even created a new blog by cherry-picking my daily posts!).

Here's my question: Will Twitter just make it easier for my competition to see what I'm doing..? Or in some cases, alert them to what's new & hot, etc..?

I realize they could see the exact same by visiting my site - I'm just not sure I feel like making extra work for myself to facilitate competitors (the tweets).

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Excellent questions. I have no ideas or suggestions as to an answer. But I sure hope other folks come along to discuss the issue!
    Generate more fake news.

Thanks writerguy! I think this is relevant for us content folks in particular...

That's a tough one. A lot of my followers are other affiliates as well. But that's not always a bad thing. There are a few dirty players out there who are just looking for your content. But like you said, they will find it anyway.

On the plus side, it's surprising how much help you can get from other affiliates because most are NOT in the same niche as you. So they can pass merchants leads along to you.

I'm naive I know, but so far I am giving Twitter followers the benefit of the doubt.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

http and a telephoto
    Anytime you put yourself out in any social media way your competitors are going to find you. They can find you on Google also. Use Twitter to your advantage and let karma take care of those that use it nefariously.

People use all forms of social media to communicate and share and market. Twitter is just one tool, and is becoming a very powerful one.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Oh I didn't assume there was something nefarious going on (evil ringing of the hands or anything!), I'm just wondering how much effort I should put into it. I was a little disappointed to see so many sites that cover my own niche as followers..

For someone who has memberships, etc. it would be great... fantastic communication tool. Perhaps I'm jaded after this year's copyright/scraping experiences...

Sometimes it takes hours of research for one topic, and it seems once it's "out there", anyone can take credit (which they can, and do, that won't change). Thank goodness for the honesty of some yahoo answers' folks, who gave my site credit for some real finds. Hard to explain, but one of my sites has become a source of answers based on my own personal research (first site to report on something).

I wanted to hear other Twitter experiences, in case I just need to adjust my own usage... maybe that's the key... leave the original stuff out of the tweets, just give them mainstream info.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone

I wanted to hear other Twitter experiences, in case I just need to adjust my own usage... maybe that's the key... leave the original stuff out of the tweets, just give them mainstream info.
    I think that's the key. Give people a little information but get them coming back to your site for the rest. As more people start following you on the topic, they will go to your site for the information anyway...not your competitors who may be stealing your info. You'll always have it first.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Here's my question: Will Twitter just make it easier for my competition to see what I'm doing..? Or in some cases, alert them to what's new & hot, etc..?
    Yes, but much more compacted (140 chars) than via your RSS (if you have one).

I think of Twitter as an information and time management tool as it keeps people informed with what YOU want to tell them, personally, business wise or both, IOW, a productivity tool not a liability.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Yes, but much more compacted (140 chars) than via your RSS (if you have one).

I think of Twitter as an information and time management tool as it keeps people informed with what YOU want to tell them, personally, business wise or both, IOW, a productivity tool not a liability.
    That's probably the best explanation I've seen
    Deborah Carney

Thanks all, for your feedback!

As much as I jump on the latest technology, Twitter hadn't quite grabbed me yet. It seems it will just be a matter of deciding how to use it to my advantage. There aren't enough hours in the day as it is, I was probably dreading yet another commitment

And as a sidebar, thanks everyone for being here! I post more now (trying to give back what I've learned, most of it the hard way, it seems!), but many times just pop in to see the state of AM on a daily basis.

More importantly, I don't think I could have grown my sites to this extent without having a place like ABW to visit, so a special thanks to Haiko for that!

I hope everyone has a wonderful & prosperous New Year!

Theresa

http and a telephoto
    Well, one way to use it is to have a twitter party I am giving a prize to one on that is going on this weekend, for WiiFit moms. People are coming up with really cool ways to get traffic, and add value, using Twitter.
    Deborah Carney

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Anytime you put yourself out in any social media way your competitors are going to find you. They can find you on Google also. Use Twitter to your advantage and let karma take care of those that use it nefariously.
    That's along the lines of what I was going to say - any competitor that is smart is going to be looking for you and seeing what you're doing anyway, there's nothing you can really do to stop it.

I don't think you should let that stop you if you're really into Twitter and find a good use for it.

Loxly... how do you give a party?

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by kayecee
    Loxly... how do you give a party?
    Here is the Link to the prize page for the prize I donated (site has no aff links and isn't an affiliate for anyone). In the sidebar are the links to the instructions for the party.

Basically similar to what you are doing right now for New Years, but these folks are organizing ahead of time and giving prizes for actions that occur during the "party" same as if you were at a home party. Lately there are a lot of wine tastings and other get togethers that are being organized. They are using search.twitter.com and hashtags (#). Some folks are being very creative.
    Deborah Carney

Thanks Loxly!

Banned
    It is best to have followers in the consumer set so you can peiodically tweet to them about products they would be interested in, but it is not all bad having affiliates as followers.

Depending on your niche, you could create a product and already have a team of possible affiliates to prmote it.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by nobugs
    It is best to have followers in the consumer set so you can peiodically tweet to them about products they would be interested in, but it is not all bad having affiliates as followers.

Depending on your niche, you could create a product and already have a team of possible affiliates to prmote it.
    Exactly. Loxly has a twitter account that is mostly followed by artists, photographers and of course, affiliates Loxly GALLERY has a twitter account that is followed by artists and shoppers. I have other niche twitter accounts that link to the niche subsites that are being developed from the Loxly Gallery main site and they are all getting followers that both shop, want to sell their own images with us, and that are just interested in the topic (future shoppers!).

Twitter isn't like facebook where you have only one "personality" that has to show all sides of you. Twitter enables you to be what your readers need. None of my accounts are *just* marketing, they all blend marketing the products with some interaction with people following me AND some just plain fun. None are all fluff, none are all biz. It's work, but it's workING.
    Deborah Carney

you could create a product and already have a team of possible affiliates to promote it
    My original issue was that I'm an affiliate myself, and only other affiliates in my same niche were starting to follow me.. (they can quickly see how I choose to promote the products)

I've since read an interesting article on ways to keep on top of your competition & this was one of the recommendations! I guess I picked up on that myself

That's not to say that I'm not going to continue using it - I just have to tailor it to fit MY needs, not my competitors!!

Another interesting update is that I've had a few merchants starting to follow as well... that tells me that my content is valuable..

Twitter isn't like facebook where you have only one "personality" that has to show all sides of you. Twitter enables you to be what your readers need. None of my accounts are *just* marketing, they all blend marketing the products with some interaction with people following me AND some just plain fun.
    Do you [I'm quoting Loxly but anyone can feel free to respond to my questions] have multiple Twitter accounts?
    I know someone with 4 Twitter accounts [4 different handles/nicknames] and although he sends out interesting & fun information it's hard to keep up with him
    Do you think it's better for someone to have one Twitter account/handle or multiple?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

For someone who has memberships, etc. it would be great... fantastic communication tool.
    You don't need "memberships" just followers
    Tell everyone on your "about page" (or equivalent) about your Twitter handle that way people who were interested in your site to begin with might show an interest and follow you
    The more of this type of followers the better.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

None of my accounts are *just* marketing, they all blend marketing the products with some interaction with people following me AND some just plain fun. None are all fluff, none are all biz. It's work, but it's workING.
    About how long do you spend on that? I've contemplating setting up twitter accounts solely for my two small side projects but I fear I couldn't remember to update them beyond auto pushes of blog posts LOL.

http and a telephoto
    you can use auto pushes of blog posts to keep them visible, but you have to be sure to go in and be real. Do what you can, you will figure out which ones are valuable and will spend time on them when you are able.
    Deborah Carney

you can use auto pushes of blog posts to keep them visible, but you have to be sure to go in and be real. Do what you can, you will figure out which ones are valuable and will spend time on them when you are able.
    Oh I'd never dream of not going in and being real, I just fear there's not enough of my "realness" to spread around

Twitter is something that I have been experimenting with lately but it is so limited, I think the trendy term is miniblog
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

http and a telephoto
    Miniblogs are good because they make people be more focused and less... windy...
    Deborah Carney

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast