Feeds
    Any suggestions on how to contact individual companies for a data feed request? Is there another method to receive a data feed other than through Commission Junction or LinkShare?

Affiliate Manager
    I would just email them, if you are making them money I'd think they would bend over backwards to help

email contact method
    Have you had success by email? Is there a usual place to look on each companies site for the applicable email address? i.e. affiliates@xyz.com, or ...

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by beasley
    Have you had success by email? Is there a usual place to look on each companies site for the applicable email address? i.e. affiliates@xyz.com, or ...
    Most networks have a way to contact the merchant through their interface. That would be the companies affiliate manager and probably the best way to get want you want. If not, I would use whatever contact they have on their website (usually customer service) and let them know what you want, and ask them if they could forward your request to their marketing dept.

Advice
    Thank you for the advice

ABW Ambassador
    Good luck with it, datafeed sites need to have a lot of thought put into the design these days with Google now banning many sites with datafeeds.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    ... datafeed sites need to have a lot of thought put into the design these days with Google now banning many sites with datafeeds.
    What does Google see as alternatives?

Perhaps Google is not penalizing datafeeds per se but the methods [and/or results from those methods] that are being used to incorporated datafeeds into the site?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Google bans
    Why would Google ban sites with data feeds?

Google maybe banning sites with datafeeds, but they are not banning sites because they have datafeeds. There are completely other reasons those sites are getting banned ~ black hat SEO 'tricks'.

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood
    Google maybe banning sites with datafeeds, but they are not banning sites because they have datafeeds. There are completely other reasons those sites are getting banned ~ black hat SEO 'tricks'.
    My only guess -- and this is conjecture -- Google might not favor a site that has gone "datafeed slaphappy" [i.e. every page has too many different items from different datafeeds so that the pages look "mumbo-jumbo choc full of products" that don't correlate with the theme of the site]?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    it is not just datafeed sites that are been banned either, Ebay stores, Goldencan sites, pages with affiliate links etc. Not talking about black hat or any other dodgy methods either but mainly pages that don't have a lot of other content. If you can add your own descriptions and make the site mainly content based with the datafeed or affiliate links sparse & hidden in the background then you have a better chance I think.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Datafeed can just as easily be called Database.
    And Database sites are not being uniformly banned by google.

The thing is, does your site depend on a database that is reproduced 100's or 1000's of times for its 'content'?

Anything that is copied will continue to go downhill IMO.

I don't think google has an interest in banishing datafeed sites, since they are so integral to affiliate marketing and google is trying to grow their own affiliate network.

As long as they perceive those datafeed/database sites as value-add for their users though.

http and a telephoto
    **sigh** this discussion is over. Every few months someone starts it again. Whatever method you use to build a site, datafeed or database or text links or banners, if you don't do it better than the competition and you don't give unique *real* content, google will say "why do we need this site in our search results."

Since this has gone off topic and it just going in circles now, we'll close it and let you all search for the old threads and rehash *those*.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

15. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread