Unhappy De-indexed from Google for EK-based site
    Happy New Year everybody!

I'm ringing in the new year with a big fat punch in the face from Google and I'm hoping you all can share some advice on what to do next.

One of my sites has a couple lines of text in the header and sidebar and then essentially has editor kit listings down the center of the page. I have several "categories" of listings which are essentially just additional pages on the site with the same format but different listings displayed. I also have AdSense and a couple other affiliate ads on the site. There is a blog section in a sub-directory that had a few posts with backlinks as well.

Now, here's the thing...I realize this is a pretty thin site, especially since the EK is javascript-based so Google can't even read that part of it. That said, I've had the top 1-3 spots on Google for SEVERAL 2 word terms in the niche and was on page 3 (almost 2) for the single broad term of the niche. I also have many backlinks from reputable sites. Back when I did some PPC for the site I had a GREAT quality score initially but when I stopped for a while and tried again, I had a poor QS so I just stopped doing PPC altogether.

I am now completely de-indexed from Google as of their X-mas PR update. Searching for my own URL pulls up nothing and my PR toolbar is gray.

I am also in the process of releasing a complete redesign to the site which will soon let me use the RSS feed vs. Javascript, but at a minimum will let me add much-needed content to each category and sub-category of listings. The blog will also be on the homepage. In the near future I will be adding a forum too.

That said, is there any hope of Google re-indexing me and regaining my position? Or should I get a new URL and redirect all of the direct/referral traffic my site still gets to the new one? I'd really hate to abandon ship given that my URL is awesome for the niche and I have some brand recognition within the niche community.

I'm wondering how Google handles this sort of thing when someone buys a previously owned domain that had been de-indexed. Surely they let them back into the rankings...

Any advice or suggestions or links to additional reading would be MUCH appreciated as this is really the only affiliate program I have had any success with and was going from $400-$600/mo on average to being lucky if I make $100 in January.

I would create a sitemap and submit it in Google Webmasters Tools. Your site should be re-indexed within a day or so as long as G hasn't black balled you for some reason.

X

15 years and counting
    You're just experiencing a ride in google roller coaster. Just fasten your seat belt. If you have done nothing against Google TOS, your site will come back. Just to be sure read Google guidelines.
    http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35769

In my experience, being completely de-indexed for an established site goes beyond just having thin or little content etc.

Usually a penalty when they suspect you of doing something shady or against their TOS, or there could be a technical problem such as issue w/htaccess, robots text, really bad html, etc.

When you search for yoursite .com does another site come up using your content?

Do you have Google webmaster tools? Sitemap, etc. Like Ed said before, that might give you a lead on something.

Thanks for the advice guys...your two posts have been more helpful than the 12 I've received thus far on the EPN forums (big surprise).

I have a feeling this was caused by lack of quality content although it could also have been from using Shoemoney's SERPS tool to check my ranking position across multiple SE's.

Looks like they have a way to submit your site for reconsideration available at: http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35843 which I'll do once my site is up and running again with some content.

Unfortunately this niche is starting to be hit by the eBay spammers full-force now. People submitting links to their generic ebay site telling people to buy there for this term and then just passing the term to a search field in their site. Also getting a few BANS and other script sites.

Hopefully my redesign and attempt to build community will win out. So far these guys don't appear to have done anything near what I have in terms of marketing the site within the community to build awareness so I'm hoping I will be seen as more credible. I also hope to add more value in the way of forums and blog posts that aren't complete junk.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    In my experience, being completely de-indexed for an established site goes beyond just having thin or little content etc.

Usually a penalty when they suspect you of doing something shady or against their TOS, or there could be a technical problem such as issue w/htaccess, robots text, really bad html, etc.

When you search for yoursite .com does another site come up using your content?

Do you have Google webmaster tools? Sitemap, etc. Like Ed said before, that might give you a lead on something.
    Google is far for perfect. They have their own technical glitches. And between Xmas and New Year's Eve I was able to spot a bunch of Google problems. They are known to drop sites from their index for no reason. And, they will reindex them later.
    I've all my sites with their webmaster tools and I saw Google not accepting some sites with robots.txt for days while not accepting others without robots.txt and tagging them with "error". Then, it was the opposite a few days later, before accepting them all. Lots of non sense lately. Sometimes, it's important to be patient if you're sure you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Sometimes, it's important to be patient if you're sure you're right.
    Yep... or else it can drive you nuts!

X

Google is far for perfect.
    i would agree wholeheartedly with that!

I am experimenting with a 'thin' site that might be very similar to the OP's. (might even be same niche) Except based on php, not javascript.

It is going in and out of google serps. (out now) But it still shows up when I search on mysite.com. Tomorrow, who knows?

He who lives by the Google sword, dies by the Google sword. It may seem so, but the net is NOT Google. But hey, what can you do when the Government regulators totally,
    completely and knowingly disregard existing 'anti-trust' laws.

According to all our elected officials, unless you are a corporation, the only right you have is to die and the sooner the better - so we will go out of our way to help you stave to death.

What's the difference between the US, Zimbabwe and Somalia ... Somalia and Zimbabwe have a ten year head start.

Death by Staving? I bet that's painful.

If you have such a low opinion of this wonderful country we live in, I'm sure you could find a better one to move to.

But back on topic...

I really doubt that an Editor Kit on a site would incur the wrath of Google. A site totally designed around the Editor Kit, on the other hand, and I could see them considering it to be a low quality site and penalizing it. Are there other indicators that Google would frown upon? Duplicate content? Paid links? Links to low quality sites? Hidden text? Cloaking? Link Exchanges? Doorway pages?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Think this is really a Time v. Money question.

I spoke with a women who was making 30k monthly from SEO at one time but she got so frustrated and fed up with Google's changing rythms that all she does now is PPC.

Seems to be the most sound affiliate business model - as you can never really know what Google will do next and you may have completely wasted hours, days, and months of your time to only lose money at the next update.

If quality sites are not your expertise - save up money to contract the work out at elance or whereever and then save up capital for ppc spend and re-invest the profits. It's a proven model.

Once you've figured out your prime converting keywords through PPC - then you can optimize your landing pages for those keywords in the SEs.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread