Does Godaddy pay commissions on domains anymore?
    My last couple domain purchases with Godaddy haven't tracked so I checked their program terms and I don't see anything about a commission % for domain sales. Have they stopped paying commissions on domains?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Hmm, I did just find that they still pay 20% commissions on domain purchases, so I guess this post should be under Test Purchases with the title "Godaddy didn't track"

- Scott

I think they did with one of mine but not the others, then they terminated me for lack of sales. So my experience with em hasn't been good. Not sure but think Michael has posted about em and has been more positive, so he'll probably know

I've purchased several times with GoDaddy..... I know that the last time or two, they didn't track, but I thought maybe it was just me because they've always tracked before.

Did you check the source code in the confirmation page for a tracking pixel? Personally, I'm starting to wonder if the non-tracking (or perhaps non-reporting *wink* *wink*) is happening at the CJ end. I've had non-tracking issues lately, and programs that are generally strong performers for me have been notably quiet lately, despite increased traffic and clickthroughs.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I placed two orders a couple days ago. I looked at the tracking pixels and it looked like they were going to only credit the non-domain items. I just checked the transaction reports, and that appears to be the case.

I suspect that they only count full price domain purchases. If it's a bulk order or a non-affiliate coupon is used, my experience has been that it doesn't track.

In my two orders, it didn't have much impact. I discovered that I could get the deal for $1.99 domains (up to 30 in an order, apparently) by adding the the same number of non-domain products (the Calendar at $5.99 was the cheapest thing I found), plus it looked like it dropped the price a bit more with bulk discounts. That worked out cheaper than the bulk rates, plus I got commissions on $5.99 for each.

For instance, one order for 30 domain renewals was:

$2.19 each a new .com and a new .org domain ($4.38 total)
    $0.69 each for 27 .com renewals ($18.63 total)
    $1.99 for one .us renewal
    $5.99 each for 30 Personal Calendars ($179.70 total)

Total for 30 domains: $204.70 ($6.82 each)

I only got commission on the $179.70.

I had more than 30 domains, so I had to break it into two orders to maximize the discounts.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I did a renewal with them of 3 domains on 12-16-08 used one of my links for a 'sale' Paid $7.49 + their .20 ICANN fee each and got a commission of $1.50 each. Net cost after commission was $6.19.

Don't have anymore with them up for renewal until next month. Perhaps it's something that just took effect.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I did use a coupon code, so that may be the reason I didn't get commissions. They wanted $9.97 for a new .com which I thought was a bit high. I ended up getting 25% off but no commission.

- Scott

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I did not use a affiliate coupon code and it tracked + commission.
    I think I paid like $9.xx

Affiliate Manager
    I know some people who've switched over from their affiliate program and went straight for a reseller account

They seem to like it so far

ABW Ambassador
    Yes this has been discussed many times before, if you use anotheR coupon even with your own link it won't track. You need exclusive coupons with your own link.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  elalpo's Avatar
    GoDaddy domains sales don't track for me. I buy there often and also renew, but don't get credit for them. I am almost used to it..

I've contacted them few times, but they reply time turnaround is terrible. Last reply I got:

"We apologize for the delay in getting back to you on this. We have been looking into the issue trying to determine if it was a cookie issue which would cause sales to not be tracked or if it were another issue. In the examples you provided, it appears to be an issue with our 1-time occurrence limitation. Our current terms are for 1-time occurrences in a 45-day cookie period. This means if a user clicks through from your affiliate link to GoDaddy.com today and does not purchase, but returns up to 45 days later and does purchase, you still receive commission on that sale. This also means that you are eligible for commission on one sale per customer each 45 days. Each of these sales was made within several days of the others, meaning you would only be eligble to receive commission on one of the sales.

We will manually credit these five sales to your account. In order for us to better track any issues, here are a few new codes for you to use to replace the ones you currently have on your site. Your users will get the same discount
    "

My guess, they definitely don't like the use of non-affiliate coupons.

I like using Get $3 off .COM domain purchase - code "chris3"

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I bought a domain yesterday, sales tracked, I did not use a coupon code.

Quote Originally Posted by elalpo
    This also means that you are eligible for commission on one sale per customer each 45 days. Each of these sales was made within several days of the others, meaning you would only be eligble to receive commission on one of the sales.
    I never heard about this before, but would not it be the reason - only 1 commission per customer per 45 days?

Action Referral Occurrences CJ description:

Displays the number of times an advertiser pays a commission to you for the same cookie during its referral period. For example, assume you refer a visitor to an advertiser's site and a tracking cookie is set for a referral period of 45 days. If the Web visitor makes several unique visits and unique purchases over the next 45 days, the advertiser can opt to pay a commission to you for each one or a set number of those visits and purchases.

Action Referral Occurrences is set to 1 for Godaddy. But if the user clicks affiliate link again, doesn't it set new cookie?

somebody please could explain this?

I think it's technical one commissioned order per specific click-through. Each click through CJ sets a unique cookie to track that specific click. If they're set up for "1 action occurrence" instead of "unlimited action occurrences" (what most merchants use), only the first order related to that click will track. If you click again between each order, all should track. I think the AM is just trying to describe it in simpler (but inaccurate) terms.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I placed two orders a couple days ago. I looked at the tracking pixels and it looked like they were going to only credit the non-domain items. I just checked the transaction reports, and that appears to be the case.

I suspect that they only count full price domain purchases. If it's a bulk order or a non-affiliate coupon is used, my experience has been that it doesn't track.

In my two orders, it didn't have much impact. I discovered that I could get the deal for $1.99 domains (up to 30 in an order, apparently) by adding the the same number of non-domain products (the Calendar at $5.99 was the cheapest thing I found), plus it looked like it dropped the price a bit more with bulk discounts. That worked out cheaper than the bulk rates, plus I got commissions on $5.99 for each.

For instance, one order for 30 domain renewals was:

$2.19 each a new .com and a new .org domain ($4.38 total)
    $0.69 each for 27 .com renewals ($18.63 total)
    $1.99 for one .us renewal
    $5.99 each for 30 Personal Calendars ($179.70 total)

Total for 30 domains: $204.70 ($6.82 each)

I only got commission on the $179.70.

I had more than 30 domains, so I had to break it into two orders to maximize the discounts.
    nice tip, did it work lately? I did not get any commission on 3 simple renew (7.49) orders that i have put in March (no coupons used).

PS: I was going to try this, but Calendar is now $6.99. Is there a better replacement?
    Last edited by atxsurf; April 2nd, 2009 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atxsurf
    nice tip, did it work lately? I did not get any commission on 3 simple renew (7.49) orders that i have put in March (no coupons used).

PS: I was going to try this, but Calendar is now $6.99. Is there a better replacement?
    I haven't tried it lately. I renew all of my domains once a year so I can get bulk rates.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    They don't pay out to their affiliates anymore as in the T&C. Here is my letter to them and their response which was after I purchased a few domains using my own links and I don't remember using another coupon unless it was for one domain:

Hello,

there have been several orders lately which are confirmed but I have not received any commissions for these orders even though they had originated from a link on my website ....
    Hello,
    This order was not credited to your account because a non-affiliate promo code (one from a podcast, GoDaddy customer email, etc.) was used in the cart. Per our terms & conditions, we do not pay commission on such orders.

Also, per our terms & conditions, affiliates are not to place orders for themselves, through their affiliate link to earn commission.

Kind regards,
    The affiliate team
    GoDaddy.com
    Here is a part from their T & C:

You are not eligible for commissions on Purchases made by Your employees or its principals. (I'm not an employee , I guess I must be what they call "principals" )
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread