Anybody understand setting up Adsense for Domains??
    Wow, I thought I understood at least a little bit about setting up new domains. But I just went through the DNS editing instructions to use Adsense for Domains on some domains I have undeveloped.

My son's a rocket scientist, I'm not -- and I'll bet Google's process/instructions for this would stump even him.

Anyone out there using this for undeveloped domains? Anybody out there understand how to set it up?

My domains are registered at the abw domain hosting -- but I host them on a VPS with my own nameservers. I've sweated around with it an hour or so and cannot for the life of me figure out how to do Google's "CNAME" instructions through the WHM for my VPS. I've got a plea for help in with my support folks right now. I'll keep you posted.
    Generate more fake news.

In whm you have to edit the DNS zone for each domain you want to add. There you can add the cname entry.

http://www.2serveu.net/whm-tutorials/editdns.html

That is a video on editing dns zones, the whm version in that vid looks a bit aged but its basically the same.

I ran adsense for domains for a couple weeks, 30k impressions and no . Sedo works better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by D_M
    In whm you have to edit the DNS zone for each domain you want to add. There you can add the cname entry.

http://www.2serveu.net/whm-tutorials/editdns.html

That is a video on editing dns zones, the whm version in that vid looks a bit aged but its basically the same.

I ran adsense for domains for a couple weeks, 30k impressions and no . Sedo works better for me.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at that video. And your experience with using it is interesting, too.

I've tried a few domains in the past with Sedo and made nothing. Most recently, I tried some with NameDrive -- also no luck.

But until the darn domains in question expire, I hate to just have them setting around doing nothing -- which means about 6 months.

Oh, also -- my hosting support people responded to a support ticket asking about setting up Adsense for Domains and gave me some tips. I THINK I got it right. We'll see.
    Generate more fake news.

I haven't done well with sedo, just better than nill which what google was doing for me. One advantage with sedo over google is that you can list them for sale. I havent used namedrive, but I will check them out.

Just thought, probably can list them for sale and still have them at google.
    Might be something to consider if you are just going to let the domains expire.
    Could make a couple bucks, if someone likes the domain enough. They don't know you were just going to let it expire.

It took some doing but I finally got Google adsense set up on a domain. For some reason there are no generic instructions for setting it up (link doesn't work for me). I used a mix of all the instructions and had to play around, finally got it right. I've had no luck at Sedo but have only had a couple there for 2 weeks.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

ABW Ambassador
    Once you choose your domain and language, on the next page there should be something you can click to show you what you need to do next - which is setup your dns.

You need to setup an A record with an ip address and a CNAME record with the url they give you - replacing the id in the example with you id (it is on top of the page).

Then they will confirm ownership and if all good activate the domain.

I have had great success with them as I posted earlier and it has continued.

Chet

Well, I've tried three different ways three different times -- including once letting my hosting support people do it -- and I can't seem to get the DNS records suitable, because three times now Google has done the "verifying ownership" thing and returned the message "Unverified Ownership." Argh!

Shouldn't be THAT hard, is it? The A record looks right. The CNAME looks right.

And, yeah, just like you said, melanie, the "Generic" instructions they give for editing the DNS records is simply not working.

But trying the setup the KnownHost (the webhosting company I use) support people did and trying a combination of ways from the various Google instructions -- well, anyway, nothing's working.

Ah, well.
    Generate more fake news.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Google really needs to let up on their need to control a domain that way - create an easier interface like Fab and change the nameservers at the registrar.

I'm not about to change 500+ names via the advanced DNS route.

I'll stick with Fab and my other providers for now.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread