What signs are that say "don't approve this affiliate"?
    Hello:

I am new Affiliate Merchant slowly learning the ropes. I understand the concept of quality not quantity and taking care of your affiliates. Treating them as partners. Helping them help me.

That being said, I have a few questions in regards to when to disapprove a affiliate signup request.

What are the biggest ways a affiliate can hurt a merchant if any?
    What are some of the signs to that say "don't approve this affiliate"?
    If an affiliate site is not very pleasing to look at, is that any real issue?

Thanks for any input!

Affiliate Manager
    I currently trust everyone and then wait and see which affiliates are the superstars and which ones are trying to do things they shouldn't (had one affiliate posting stolen info into site). But, I really I haven't many problems and I've been doing this selling online thing for about a decade.

joe

Quote Originally Posted by leehow
    What signs are that say "don't approve this affiliate"?
    Avoid them if they count on software like toolbars to channel traffic that you would get easily, or away from other affiliates who work hard actually promoting your products. These are the ones that the big networks will tell are wonderful and are usually famous here at ABW.

Don't worry too much about your idea of a "pleasing" site as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some shoppers see folksy as genuine.

By the way welcome to ABW.

read this one on parasite affiliates:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=113526

Good questions.

1) What are the biggest ways a affiliate can hurt a merchant if any?

Take what is not theirs. Taking from other affiliates is the parasitism referred to above. Taking from the merchant - can be in form of parasitism, TM bidding, positioning you as a discount merchant when you really are not one, etc.

2) What are some of the signs to that say "don't approve this affiliate"?

Downloadable toolbars (see a great thread started by Greg here), negative feedback in public forums and individual blogs, outright spammy applications (see my blog post on it here).

3) If an affiliate site is not very pleasing to look at, is that any real issue?

Not necessarily. If the "not very pleasing to look at" website gets a good amount of targeted traffic, it has great chances of converting for your affiliate program.

Geno

Look at incentives
    Avoid them if they count on software like toolbars to channel traffic that you would get easily, or away from other affiliates who work hard actually promoting your products.
    Well said John. I also look at incentives the program uses to make sure there are not any toolbars ect which steal sales from good affiliates.

Be careful to monitor your product feed also. I had an affiliate take our feed and submit it on Froogle posing as our company! His feed was actually over-riding ours.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread