I Wish - We Could Have Test Products
    How hard would it be to require each merchant to have a test product we could buy for little or no money to see if the tracking works. To many times we see affiliates at all the networks complaining about having tracked clicks but no sales.

Right now you have to buy something or get a friend to. That's not practical when you deal with hundreds of merchants. I wouldn't mind buying a $0.50 ewidget dummy product that required no delivery like a gift card.

It seems like this would be in the interest of the networks also. Lately I'm getting a lot of emails apologizing for a period when the merchant's tracking was down.

Too many times we have made purchases from home that didn't track. It's such a hassle to get to the bottom of the cause. Any testing we could do from our end would be a plus.

Affiliate Manager
    As a merchant I wouldn't be opposed, but I'm sure it would be hard to get everyone to agree on what price point and the like

In theory it's a good idea but in practicality it's easy enough to make that product track 99.999% - IOW ineffective.

I've heard a few rumors of things that address this issue better.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I can usually find something I can use at many (not all) merchants.
    But it does suck to buy a $5 item and have to pay $4 shipping.
    Just a problem of e-commerce in general, I guess.

As a merchant I have no problem with an affiliate placing an order and canceling it, Id just refund the payment minus the commission already paid through SAS.

While I have a test product out there (for my own use), systems can be coded to behave differently for them rather than the regular products, so your test could be flawed.

My guess is that the small to medium sized merchants would not have much problem with it, some might appreciate a heads up (IE... Im going to be going test purchases of all my merchants in the next week).

In my case Id rather the test purchases not be done just before my shipping cutoff, as long as someone does not put in an order right at 3pm Eastern its not a big deal.

Since my products all ship overnight (perishables), other than the test product, canceling a test order works for me...

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    The question is are you worrying about fraud or mistakes???

If there was a mistake that removed tracking then tracking should be down and some affiliate will notice and inquire and it'll be fixed. A test purchase is really not necessary, you kow you should be making 10 sales a day and then for a couple days no sales. This is most likely what has just happened when you recieved the letter that there was a tracking problem.

But if there was fraud involved a test purchase of a 'fake' product is useless since as the merchant perpetulating the fruad this is the only item I would let track.

Thus a special test product is useless. Pick only merchants you trust and keep track of your expected sales and that should do fine. If there is a drop for an 'extended' period of time, then decide on a test purchase, checking her, email to the merchant etc.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Networks should monitor every one of their clients to ensure that tracking pixels are in place.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    Networks should monitor every one of their clients to ensure that tracking pixels are in place.
    You would think that would be in their best interests since they get paid on aff sales and no tracking means no money for them either.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko
    I've heard a few rumors of things that address this issue better.
    Let's hope they prove to be correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges
    The question is are you worrying about fraud or mistakes???
    Mostly mistakes. I think there are more things broken than crooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidh
    That would be in their best interest too.

On SAS that would be the "Last Compliance Test Date" shown I guess. Most are very current, but there are some where the last compliance date is months or years ago even. Makes you wonder.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread