Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WordPress for Affiliate Marketing?
    I think that this is probably the best forum to ask this question... I'm a new affiliate and I'm just learning the ropes about affiliate marketing. I have this idea for a site with reviews of consumer electronics with affiliate links to the products. If anyone has experience with WordPress or some other blogging software, I have a question for you... Does it work well for affiliate marketing?

I've got most of my site set up, but I just wanted to know from others what they think about using WordPress for this type of site.

Thanks!
    -Tyler D. - Byty

Byty welcome to abest web.
    There are affiliates here that use wordpress, I'm not one of them tho. The info you seek might be found in this section of the forum tho.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=493
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

Wordpress lends itself well to affiliate marketing. Reviews especially.

And it's far from perfect, but you cant beat the price, flexibility, etc.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Note that if you use Wordpress, host it on your own domain. If you use their free hosting, I don't believe you are allowed to post your own ads.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Thanks guys for the help. And I do have my own domain and hosting for the site, so that isn't a problem.

Banned
    Welcome to the world of affiliate marketing.

Wordpress is a great content management software (CMS) for beginners. As was said before, use it on your own site because the Wordpress site does not allow affiliate links.

Joomla is great too, but I reccomend starting out with Wordpress.

Good luck in affiliate marketing! One more tip, read the Magic Bullit thread (its in the stickys).

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    yes, Wordpress works fine for most affiliate marketing tasks. Although I've had to do some php programming to cover the rest.

http and a telephoto
    Moved to the blogging forum.

Wordpress is the framework, self hosted it is a great choice for a wide variety of websites. Just because it *is* a blog doesn't mean it has to *look* like a blog

Welcome to ABW and have fun with Wordpress. It allows you to concentrate on content.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

CPA Network Rep
    Wordpress is awesome for affiliate marketing.

1- There are so many different plugins that you can find to host your affiliate images.

2- Search engines love wordpress blogs so you can rank in the search engines a lot easier than traditional websites.

If you want to go that route, Google Courtney Tuttle and have a look at his site. There are a lot of great tips and SEO optimized wordpress templates.

Good stuff man! Good luck!

actually i use wordpress and a few other blogs as well for affilated marketing, i think its good with imbedding links and plenty of information on the blogs.

Wordpress is a natural. Easy learning curve, widely accepted and plays well with others. What more can you expect from a blogging platform?
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    You'd be surprised at some sites that are built in Wordpress. It works well.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

There is now a new script that works with Feed Wordpress or WPoMatic to automate the process of populating your blog with fresh content. How it works:

1. Browse to the script and enter your search terms and other options, then click Scrape.
    2. Copy the URL.. ex: http://yoursite.com/scraper/scraperf...Posts=5&Answer sInPosts=1
    3. Login to Wordpress and go to the WPoMatic plugin page to create a new campaign with the URL you copied.
    3. Done. Your blog will now auto populate new content on schedule.

cristina12

cristina12, that sounds like site scraper software, which steals content from other sites through screen scraping or RSS feeds.

#1 It may be theft of copyrighted content.

#2 Populating a site with duplicate content from other sites is never a good idea from a search engine perspective.

Just some things to think about.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Yeah I never have seen the benefit in using scraped content in an affiliate marketing situation.

It's not readable to page visitors and and doesn't help sell the product.

So what's the point?

I have WordPress blogs and often setup affiliate ads on the personal blog. The site is known-- and I do believe it promotes sales for advertisers I put on the blog.

Q...

newb question: so overall, for affiliate mkting purposes, you all recommend Word Press over Blogger, overall?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tombolino
    newb question: so overall, for affiliate mkting purposes, you all recommend Word Press over Blogger, overall?

thanks
    Absolutely, I would recommend WP over Blogger. By WP, I'm NOT talking about wordpress.com. I'm talking about downloading WP 2.7.1 from wordpress.org and installing it on your own domain.

With your own install of WP, you have almost unlimited options about how you set up the site, what you put on the site, etc. With Blogger -- I haven't done anything with Blogger for years, so I may be wrong -- you have almost no control or very limited control over the site.
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto

thanks
    You want your content on your website. If it is on Blogger, you have no control, it can disappear for a variety of reasons, and Blogger can change their TOS to make you change your content.

NYFalcon and I did some podcasts about this topic, here is a link to one of them:
    Who Owns Your Content?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Wordpress is the absolute best way to go in my opinion for all of the reasons stated above. All of my sites are on WordPress - some look like blogs but others don't.

Adding affiliate links is easy and can be done in a host of ways. One of my favorite new plugins is PrettyLinks - which lets you make any affiliate link look like a link on your site. You still need to put the tracking pixel in the right place, but Pretty Links is great for sites with tech savvy (ie they know what an aff link usually looks like) readers.

Also plugins like All in One SEO really help with optimizing your posts to maximize your organic search traffic.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar

thanks
    Wordpress is even better because not only you can integrate it on your website with your external scripts written by you or others by sharing the theme/template files, but you can also write or add plugins made by others (php scripts) to integrate directly with Wordpress to do affiliate tasks that Wordpress wasn't designed for. With Wordpress you have total control because it is in PHP and you can change anything you want.

The only negative is that you have to pay for your hosting and domain registration.

Domain name registration and hosting are incredibly negligible fees if the intent of setting up your website/blog is to make money. They are part of the cost of doing business.

Domain names cost less than $10 a year and good hosting doesn't need to cost more than $10 a month. That's a small price to pay to have the power and flexibility that comes with owning your own site.

I use wordpress as well, so another thumbs up, albeit with some reservations. WP can be a hassle when it comes to updating - they keep coming up with new versions and patches. Personally, I don't like the fact that they keep changing their interface, for no apparent reason. For me, the old versions worked just as well and somehow the newer versions seem slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Anat
    I use wordpress as well, so another thumbs up, albeit with some reservations. WP can be a hassle when it comes to updating - they keep coming up with new versions and patches. Personally, I don't like the fact that they keep changing their interface, for no apparent reason. For me, the old versions worked just as well and somehow the newer versions seem slower.
    Pretty much agree with that. But I'm never sure, if I DON'T update, whether I might be missing something for security purposes. At least they've made it much easier to update WP with the newest versions and their "auto update" features. Most plugins are good for that, too.
    Generate more fake news.

I used WP on my first website after writerguy recommended it (I was thinking at the time of using BANS or Storestacker). Although I have still to make any sales, I find WP ideal being very easy to use.
    Good Luck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast