Question Datafeeds / API .. hmmm
    Hello All,

Would like to get a idea on what some of the community thinks on Datafeeds & APIs ..

Would it be better to use the API's from the networks to pull products on the fly ala always uptodate?

Or is it best to download the datafeed and use some script to display products?

I'm kinda at the tipping point .. and not sure what to use / do ... right now im using alot of goldencan because its really EZ to use...

But theres many merchants not on GC ... and I would like to include there products ...

Thanks for viewing!

Affiliate Manager
    I personally like datafeeds. That way I don't have to rely on servers talking to one another and potentially slowing my sites down

Banned
    Check out this question that was posted not too long ago. Not sure if the question itself applies to you, but look at the second answer. It basically says that datafeeds are beter for smaller sets of feeds, and APIs are better if you need an an icreased amount of control over your feeds. Hopefully this helps.

On a side note: Just made the 100th post and got my first red dot!

Quote Originally Posted by nobugs
    Check out this question that was posted not too long ago. Not sure if the question itself applies to you, but look at the second answer. It basically says that datafeeds are beter for smaller sets of feeds, and APIs are better if you need an an icreased amount of control over your feeds. Hopefully this helps.

On a side note: Just made the 100th post and got my first red dot!
    thanks for the link!

I think regardless of what you use it's always best to cache the data on your own end. Datafeeds lend themselves better to this, but API's can be cached just as well (depending on the terms of use). I wouldn't access an API in real time because you don't have an overall picture of the data. For example when doing price comparison you want to maintain the lowest price for each product so customers can sort your products by price. If you used an API in real time it would pretty much be impossible to sort your products by price because you don't have the prices cached in your table to sort upon.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread