How do you keep organized?
    Hello everyone,
    I'm a newbie and as such I've been doing a massive amount of research and collecting of anything I can find that seems valuable to making money online.

I now have tons of info that I want to start putting to use but find I basically have huge files of info and can't seem to access what I want without a bunch of time searching for it.

Reading through the forums I know there are programs that people are using to keep all their info and projects organized but I just cant seem to find what it is.

Thanks in advance for any help you might have!

Quote Originally Posted by Mmfh
    Hello everyone,
    I've been doing a massive amount of research ... I now have tons of info that I want to start putting to use but find I basically have huge files of info and can't seem to access what I want without a bunch of time searching for it.
    Have you thought of using tools from Google? It's easy to combine/transfer the information when using the "Google tools."
    You can open an additional Gmail account. Gmail gives you tons of space. Right now I get a message: "You are currently using 251 MB (3%) of your 7280 MB."
    Gmail is great: I send e-mail to myself in gmail often and its search makes the topic easy to find.
    If you get your affiliate e-mail sent to another address you can send the more important e-mails to your gmail account [you can "doctor it up" to be more private if the fact that Google "reads/scans" your e-mail to provide ads in the margin bothers you -- I prefer to do that. All affiliate mail based on my sites' e-mail goes to my main ISP e-mail--sometimes it takes a while to read all of that stuff--some of the e-mail goes to gmail but is "doctored" first although I am sure Google has figured out who I am by this time -- can you imagine what Google could possibly do with all that info in their databases?].

Google offers many organizing tools. Some you may find handy are: Google notebook & the other products.
    I find Google's Blogger handy in terms of keeping private blogs devoted to topics that I don't publish on the web. Blogger blogs now have labels so it's easy to sort information especially if your blog is private and you are saving the information for yourself.

Sometimes I type myself notes in notepad and store the topics within a folder in my computer.
    If you have multiple folders with substantial info, copy the folders to a CD.

Something really good might merit a print-out You can keep print-outs in scrapbooks; they need not be fancy, you can use the "marble notebooks" everyone used in elementary school -- those notebooks are cheap yet pretty sturdy so you can paste print-outs into them or you can choose from fancier types of scrapbooks & notebooks.

Another basic way of storing research [you print out] is to use binders.

You could read out loud into a tape recorder if you don't like to type or write.
    Last edited by Rhia7; January 4th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Ya I use notepad a lot to take notes in. Then I save them with names that I can figure out later. Like "down010408.txt" would be domain names that I have noticed are not reserved on that day for a project. Notepad .txt files load very quick too.

And they can be copy pasted to Word to check spelling if you are writing a blog post or some web copy.

Like Rhia7, I email myself lots. It seems strange but does work.

I also use to bookmark anything i might need later. This is especially helpful with the tagging system. e.g if I see a php script for social networks that works with adsense i'll tag it with the most pertinent keywords (php,script,social,network,adsense) and any personal reminder tags so I can call it up later by what ever tag I think of first.

Other than that I also keep some work/reminder/links folders in the root folder of the local copy of any sites.
    Last edited by markschok; January 5th, 2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: forgot the 7

What I do is similar, I keep all the information and links I need in an Excel format and I distribute the info from there

Great idea's!
    Thanks everyone!
    I knew you guys would be helpful. This may sound like what planet have you been on but I had never thought about using Google as anything other than a search engine. Emailing things to myself is also a great idea, I like gmail and I could have a few accounts depending on what I want to save.

I'm going to do some research on that after I poke around here on the forum for a few.

Thanks very much!!

In my start up I have notepad. So notepad is always open. Then I just add things to it during the day. At night before I turn off computer I go through it and cut and paste important stuff. 90% of it gets deleted.

The more research I do the more things I end up keeping. I have more articles and ebooks than I can count. I've read them all but really need to be able to get to the ones I want when I have a question about something that I know I have read.
    So far I now have several gmail accounts and I have been trying to send things to myself under accounts that mean certain things. One account is now ebooks, one account is tools. I have one for everything I can find from a respected marketer.
    Its not perfect but its getting me in the right direction.

I'll use notepad as you suggested for taking notes to myself during the day.

Thanks very much!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread