View Trend, what's with that please?
    I have a merchant I have been with over a year and they have worked out well for me. Well, not great but well enough that I went heavily into them prior to Christmas.

Over Christmas I had plenty of click through, not a single sale. None. Competitive merchant products I did fine with. I am not happy at all about it. So I'm trying to figure out what has changed, why they went south and if I should bother with them or remove links now. Something is wrong here. Seems their affiliate sales across the board stink these days. They went from good numbers in payouts to just over a dollar EPC in 30 days - and a low commission number. Zero in 7 days. I wanted to view the "trend" to double check what I recall of their EPCs, etc, and there is no data. Does this only cover 2009?

Time to promote the competitor then.
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Have you tried clicking on your own links to see what your shoppers see when they clickthrough? Sometimes that can help you figure things out.

I've started changing links out out, just wanted to give them the benefit of doubt first as well as simply learn what to look for in merchants in the future. It's always changing.

Yes I tried clicking through. Clicks record, everything seems up and up, I just have not a single sale. That is very unusual. They have made changes to their site and have a new feature I'm not thrilled with, but there is always another merchant. Too bad, I have liked them. It's not like they can not be aware that their affiliate sales tanked. Perhaps they just don't feel too many publishers will be lost to them or maybe they flat don't get it, but free traffic is not my job.

I have certainly learned not to fight to keep a merchant.

Has this merchant significantly changed their website since you noticed that the sales have gone south? I've had this happen to me -- a merchant does pretty well with sales, then someone on their end decides to revamp their site's navigation or the way the images display or even the kind of photos they use, and all of a sudden they drop off a cliff. If something like that has happened, then there is nothing much that you can do other than to suggest they go back to the previously successful format (which, if my experience is any guide, they probably won't do).

You know it sounds like what I am going through my stats: 435 Clicks 0 sales
    Time to expire program and get someone who has a better site more appealing, I did my part in getting the customer there and they have failed to convert the sale. Change them links! Get your money from someone who knows how to sell!
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Shareasale has a great feature that gives a good clue whether there is a tracking problem, check the "Last Commissionable Transaction through Affiliate." If the date is not recent, something is wrong. If it is recent, you can monitor it and see how frequently they are showing sales.

The site is completely new. It wasn't a re-vamp but a different site. They paid good money for it so won't change it for me I am sure! Go figure!!

The last sale was mid- December. I KNOW they did better than that in the past. Yes, I am changing links..gah! Trying to find matching merchants is a bear. But already today I've sent new merchants more traffic than the old one, so that's satisfying.

I've been through some major merchant dumping in the past few months! I'm just feeling cranky about it. It will get done and thankfully I am all alone and grumpy. Still, I just like to understand the why of it. I learn that way.

Maybe I should hunt down that "merchants we'd love to see have affiliate programs" thread or whatever it was titled and do some serious begging. As in, plllleeeeeeease get these guys, I need them!

15 years and counting
    A site redesign is not always the best for a merchant, quite often they forget to set again the tracking pixel. So you get no commissions for a while.
    A site could look nicer but have less traction for their visitors. I've had that experience several times at Shareasale. Last one was a niche merchant for furniture. I had a steady 1 to 3K in commissions every month for years. Then, somebody decided to change the look. Great looking site, but no commission. First, the pixel was missing, then nobody bought from them anymore. I end up giving up. They did eveything to get me back, except scrapping their new site. Too bad for them. They closed their program a few months later.

Quote Originally Posted by layla
    Maybe I should hunt down that "merchants we'd love to see have affiliate programs" thread or whatever it was titled and do some serious begging. As in, plllleeeeeeease get these guys, I need them!
    How do merchants go about deciding to add affiliate programs?

Just curious.

I had a steady 1 to 3K in commissions every month for years. Then, somebody decided to change the look. Great looking site, but no commission.
    A perfect example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! At the level of commissions that you were making, they must have been selling a ton of furniture -- after all, you are just one of presumably many affiliates. So they went from making a bunch of money to ending the program, all because someone had too much time on their hands and decided to change a successful site into something that, as it turned out, did not work (for whatever reason). Sad, sad, sad -- and a lesson to all other merchants:

If you are making good money, the best strategy may be to leave well enough alone.

15 years and counting
    For whose who remember, I can give the name of the program: Buying Bar Stools.
    The old site was plain, with funny graphics, fast and efficient. The new site was graphic intensive, with bell & whistles, comparison between items... but slow.

Ah yes. They switched AMs in the fall of 07 and were never heard from again. Quickly disappeared from my sites. They were like the black hole of programs after that; sucking in shoppers, spitting out nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by KirstenM
    How do merchants go about deciding to add affiliate programs?
    I am not really sure. That's SAS department to attract publishers. I have certainly made the suggestion to a couple of merchants though to look into it. Particularly manufacturers who will drop ship anyway. A bit ago there was a thread on merchants we would like to see have affiliate programs because as publishers, we feel we could sell their products. I have a list of merchants!

Zeus, what you say makes sense. Something went awry. I hope it was with their site and not their morals. They won't be begging me to come back though, I never had enough of their products up. Of course I may have sent a lot of business lately since I added so much. Funny how you get jaded and once the trust is gone, forget it!

I even checked to see if they had added themselves to ebates sort of programs, but that isn't the case. However one of my other merchants did - drag!

The old site was plain, with funny graphics, fast and efficient. The new site was graphic intensive, with bell & whistles, comparison between items... but slow.
    That explains a great deal -- they forgot the golden rule of design:

FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION

If the "function" of the site was to make sales, and they were doing that, then the "form" was right. It sounds like they decided to put the cart before the horse, which of course brought them to a dead halt. I'm not so much sorry for them, but I am sorry for all the affiliates who lost those once dependable commissions -- it had to be discouraging when that $$ went away. I have a feeling history repeated itself with Layla's merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by layla
    . Competitive merchant products I did fine with.
    Are you saying that you had terrific sales and commissions from this merchants' competitors on similar items? If so then what about contacting the merchant to let them know what is going on. After all as an affiliate I'm pretty sure you would want a reason that a merchant was dropping you from their program. If there were sales that weren't attributed to you do to a problem with the new design perhaps they could trace them and make restitution.

If on the other hand merchants selling similar merchandise are not selling well it could be that people are curtailing purchases of certain items due to the financial mess in the economy. Fewer houses being sold, few updates etc often means people will put off buying that new sofa or lamp when the current ones are functional and not in such bad shape.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Quote Originally Posted by TerriFalcone
    Are you saying that you had terrific sales and commissions from this merchants' competitors on similar items? If so then what about contacting the merchant to let them know what is going on.
    I had good sales on the exact same items from another merchant, not similar items. Only "good" because I didn't use a lot of the new merchant's products, just switched a few as a test. But I had sales from the new merchant.

I emailed them previously and got a very odd answer. Instead of addressing what I was asking for they suggested I switch my system to something completely different. I am a bit disgruntled because while searching for replacements, I am finding their products on some serious black hat sites. Not amateur black hat, but the major players. That's not cool at all.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread