Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    FTP Access
    Why do some merchants not give ftp access? There is a merchant that I would really like to promote but I have had no response from them with my request for ftp access. I will not work with a merchant if they will not give me ftp access, because I use scripts to retrieve the datafeeds automatically. I did work with them some back in 2007 and had some sales with them then, and requested ftp access then with no response either. My epc is currently $124.10, so that shouldn't be a factor. Oh well, there are a lot of other merchants to work with that will work with you and give access.

Quote Originally Posted by waybar
    Why do some merchants not give ftp access? There is a merchant that I would really like to promote but I have had no response from them with my request for ftp access. I will not work with a merchant if they will not give me ftp access, because I use scripts to retrieve the datafeeds automatically. I did work with them some back in 2007 and had some sales with them then, and requested ftp access then with no response either. My epc is currently $124.10, so that shouldn't be a factor. Oh well, there are a lot of other merchants to work with that will work with you and give access.
    Yeah, that's really REALLY irritating to me, too, when a merchant seems to ignore or just not get a request.

There are some SAS merchants I've applied for FTP access with that simply never respond. Sometimes I try again. Usually, after two or three tries (only if it's a merchant that really looks like a good fit for me), I just give it up.

But of the few really irritating things I would say against SAS merchants, this would be my top complaint: There are some who never seem to read or respond to FTP access requests.
    Generate more fake news.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Hope it's not us waybar, I give ftp access pretty quick.

Hmmm. Here's a thought -- maybe if we were to "out" some of the merchants that ignore FTP access requests by naming them here on ABW, they'd be shamed into at least paying attention to our requests. Hmmmm ...

Oh, and I personally have always had prompt service and FTP access granted from Jorge, just as he says! He's definitely one of the "Good Guys" around here! LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Jorge,

No, it's not you.

Actually, I hadn't done anything with Shareasale in 2008, but am getting back into the affiliate game again this year and putting up some sites promoting Sharesale merchants. My epc is as high as it is thanks to a very good sale with CSN Stores back in 2007. Just put up two new sites over the past five days. Would like to start a new site with this other merchant, but it looks like that will not be happening.

Was just wondering if there could be a good reason why merchants will not give ftp access, is there a high cost for them to do so?

http and a telephoto
    If the ftp access request doesn't get through, send a message to the merchant, then out them. Sometimes requests don't get to us, or they get buried in a slew of email. I personally try to check my merchants for open requests periodically and approve them. Some merchants may mistakenly think they have to pay every time you download via ftp and don't know that merchants get charged just once to activate an affiliate's ftp access.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Debbie,

I will send an email to the merchant, and let them know that there is only a one time cost to provide ftp access. If they still don't respond, then I will out them here.

ABW Ambassador
    I did email the merchant yesterday, but so far no response. I will give them one
    more day to respond.

Outsourced Program Manager
    appy for my program, I will approve ya within 12 hours :-)
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Affiliate Manager
    Although I haven't had too many FTP requests so far, I try to get to them pretty quickly. I'd hate to keep someone from making us both money.

As to why some merchants don't give FTP access or don't even respond, I can only guess. Perhaps they don't have an accurate email address in the system, so the requests aren't getting to the right place? Maybe it's worth contacting ShareASale staff so they can make sure the messages are getting through?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Was just wondering if there could be a good reason why merchants will not give ftp access, is there a high cost for them to do so?
    It's "only" $1 per activation (or at least it was when I had my program at SAS).

But it doesn't seem so "only" after the zillionth person requests access and then sells nothing!

Then it's an irritating way to 1-buck a merchant to death, and another infernal "FTP Access Request" is almost the last thing you want to see in your inbox Especially if they DO approve all the requests for a year, only to find that they're out XXX bucks and all their program got for it was maybe a "free" piece of Shareasale swag.

When I saw that granting access was as profitable to me as throwing dollar bills directly into a fire, I quit doing it. Judging by this thread, it looks like some others are seeing the same thing. Maybe those who still approve are getting better results than I did.

The obvious solution for those who don't get a good return on those $1s (which can add up to hundreds or even thousands, depending on the size of the program) is to offer a feed outside the system, but a lot of affs who request access also want to be able to download everything directly from SAS and don't want an outside feed. So programs which aren't having good results from their FTP approvals are basically SOL--either they have to stop approving FTP requests, or do approvals knowing they'd have better luck from buying a stack of scratchoff lottery tickets.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    OK, the merchant is Bonsai Boy of New York. Requested ftp access through Shareasale and also sent an email to the merchant, no response whatsoever. It would be nice if we had a list of merchants that don't approve ftp access so we don't have to waste our time applying to their program.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    It's "only" $1 per activation (or at least it was when I had my program at SAS).

But it doesn't seem so "only" after the zillionth person requests access and then sells nothing!

I did have some sales with this merchant back in 2007, requested ftp access
    then after having the sales, and still no response. Thought I would give them a shot this year, but if he can't pay the $1 he won't be going on my site. I would pay the $1 myself to get the ftp access, but this merchant won't respond at all, not even to personal emails.

ABW Ambassador
    Just thinking, if the merchant doesn't want to pay the $1 fee, maybe Shareasale could make an option available for the affiliate to pay the fee. This might not be a bad idea. Some affiliates might apply for ftp access to a large amount of programs and never do much with any of them. If the affiliate had to pay, they would only apply to programs that they really intend on promoting. I wouldn't mind paying the $1 fee for some programs to get access via ftp.

ABW Ambassador
    When I saw that granting access was as profitable to me as throwing dollar bills directly into a fire, I quit doing it. Judging by this thread, it looks like some others are seeing the same thing. Maybe those who still approve are getting better results than I did.

I guess I'm confused by this comment. The only merchants that have responded so far have said that they grant access quickly. Yours is the first response that was negative to granting access.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Oh, and I personally have always had prompt service and FTP access granted from Jorge, just as he says! He's definitely one of the "Good Guys" around here! LOL!
    Thank you Gary.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by waybar
    I guess I'm confused by this comment. The only merchants that have responded so far have said that they grant access quickly. Yours is the first response that was negative to granting access.
    I wrote this last night when I was tired, now I think I understand what you were saying, that just because of the fact that we have to have a thread like this, means that a lot of merchants are not seeing results from the ftp access.
    Is it normal for merchants to get hundreds of requests for ftp access that the $1 fee really hurts their profits? But I don't see any reason why a merchant would not grant ftp access if you have had sales with them prior to asking for access.

Outsourced Program Manager
    I always grant access when it is requested and the $1 will not hurt the merchant (at least as far as i know) BUT it is a pet peave that affiliates request access and then never go and grab the feed or ever show any traffic much less sales
    That applies to more than i care to report.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

I would pay 1$ as an affiliate for the ftp datafeed, no problem there.
    [URL=http://www.pexcornel.com]Pexcornel blog[/URL]

Whew,

I am glad it wasn't me. I was at affiliate summit for a couple of days and when I came back I had a bunch of people to approve.

Maybe Share A Sale should implement the $1 fee to sign up. Individually, it is insignificant to us compared to a merchant that may see little return on the mass of ftp users. I requested 5 ftp access feeds and was only responded to and granted by one. I sent a second request to the remaining 4 and still no response.

hello everyone.
    could someone suggest a site that explains what (FTP access) does and how it works. So far from what i've figured out "FTP Access" sends information to a site. But i am kind of lost as to what that information looks like once it's on the site. Does the information show up as pictures of products with prices? or is the information in text form that link back to an affiliates site? at the moment i am using WordPress to promote affiliate items. can i use this "Merchant FTP Access" on my blog?

Luie

Quote Originally Posted by calmguy3
    hello everyone.
    could someone suggest a site that explains what (FTP access) does and how it works. So far from what i've figured out "FTP Access" sends information to a site. But i am kind of lost as to what that information looks like once it's on the site. Does the information show up as pictures of products with prices? or is the information in text form that link back to an affiliates site? at the moment i am using WordPress to promote affiliate items. can i use this "Merchant FTP Access" on my blog?

Luie
    FTP Access is simply a method for downloading a merchants raw datafeed. To use the datafeed you will need some type of program or script to format it into your pages, such as WebMerge (they have a forum on ABW.)

The datafeed is a file such as a spreadsheet in a specific format with columns of information such as product name, sku, price, links to products and images, etc. for each product the merchant has for available.

ABW Ambassador
    I actually just came here to complain about FTP updates but I can also add to this. I have written to several merchants to request FTP access and they have all snubbed me, no access granted, not even a damn miserable email. I actually send sales for these merchants daily so there is no excuse for this arrogant behavior.

I'm also disappointed that the datafeeds are hardly ever updated, I have ones from these merchants that have not been updated since January. It seems they must find it difficult to update their feeds through the SAS datafeed system. Actually the whole SAS FTP datafeed system is very questionable with all these problems.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Affiliate Manager
    Hi,

I'm new at this but it seems like common sense to reply promptly to affiliate requests. I try to reply to requests as soon as I possibly can which is usually within a day. Here's a question: What other pet peeves do affiliates have of merchants?

Best Regards,

Nisreen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast