Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Affiliate, Which way do I go?
    Hello everyone. I am new to Affiliate Marketing. I always wanted to learn how to earn money online and ended up trying mlm programs that didn't sit well with me at the end. I understand that it involves hard word and dedication and I do not have a problem with that as long as I am being taught correctly. On that note I am hoping that someone could guide me on the right course of action in regards to a great training program. At this point I have a small income so it can't be anything too expensive or will require me to invest $1,000's of dollars with out seeing anything in return. I recently took a look a training program called Maverick Money Makers and Wealthy Affiliate they both seem good but at this point I don't even really know if I even need any of them. Can I please have your honest opinions and suggestions. I am tired of investing money on education that only puts money into the programs pocket on not mines. I want to learn how to earn even if it requires work. Thank you all.

Hi onemanarmy,

Check out a few affiliate networks. Some of them are starting to offer trainings and your affiliate managers can be really helpful. All of this is totally free.

Erin,
    Director of Affiliate Publishing at Clickbooth.com

Thanks Erin. I'll go check them out. By the way, would you have any in mind that also offers training?

Have you picked a niche.. and do you have a website...? That should be your starting point.

Without your own site in place, everything you read/learn will be theoretical. Lots of info here about how to launch your own site (plenty of low cost options too)

Quote Originally Posted by onemanarmy
    At this point I have a small income so it can't be anything too expensive or will require me to invest $1,000's of dollars with out seeing anything in return.
    Start out small and grow.

I pay the minimum [I believe] and *when* I put an effort into [a] section[s] of my site[s] I get a return

Am I rich? No
    Have I made commissions from people other than my family and close friends? Yes

This is my investment in affiliate marketing:
    I pay my ISP to connect me to the web via DSL $40 per month
    I signed up with a host called 1 & 1 [I'm not telling you who you should use, I'm telling you what I actually do]
    In the initial package for $10 there were/[and still are maintained] 3 domains plus hosting plus I received a fun CD of programs [some I used, some I didn't] I pay $10 per month to 1 & 1.
    I also get some hosting included with the fee I pay to my ISP.

I signed up for a photoshop and illustrator course at a local community college and was able to buy Dreamweaver CS3, Photoshop CS3 and Illustrator CS3 at a "discount" from the college because I was a student in the classes -- it's a good route to learn.
    You need an html editor; a PHP editor comes in handy (you can get those free at CNET).

I cut & paste all of my affiliate links [the downside to that is that it is time consuming *but* that doesn't require any additional money output from me, just time].
    Some day I'll get around to learning PHP & figuring out how to create a database for the web

Aside from that, I check out freeware (and possibly shareware if it has many positive feedback recommendations) at CNET's download.com in case you don't have the above software or in case you'd like to download the latest browsers etc.. or in case you just decide that you love CNET

I've also bought many related books & magazines.
    You can borrow related books to every topic I have mentioned at your local library. Try Interlibrary-loan if your desired title is not at your local branch.

The above is basically my "investment." You really don't need to shell out a lot of money in the beginning until your site is always offline due to used bandwidth; then you know you are starting something popular
    You need some design savvy
    You need some tech savvy
    You need some marketing savvy
    You need the mixture of the above
    I am tired of investing money on education that only puts money into the programs pocket on not mines. I want to learn how to earn even if it requires work. Thank you all.
    Take a class at a community college.
    Community colleges offer courses in design, tech, & marketing. Try it and apply what you learned to your website[s] & affiliate marketing.

Enroll in the affiliate networks.
    Read ABW. Contribute & ask questions
    The above is a good start if you'd like to do it yourself especially if you are just starting out without a definite business plan in mind or even if you do have one in mind.
    You can always pay a designer to design your logo and/or site plus there are other "bells & whistles" you can pay for -- but if you are starting out and you don't really have a business plan or any source of return, then my advice is to keep your expenditures to a minimum.
    Some webmasters here pay for dedicated hosting -- there are always paid routes to expand upon.
    Different webmasters will insist that certain items and/or services are essential; those webmasters will often provide their reasons. I tried to offer you the basics to start out with; you can decide based upon your experience, needs, & interests what you would like to "invest" in.
    One caution: free hosting usually is beset with problems.
    Last edited by Rhia7; January 6th, 2009 at 10:41 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Onmanarmy, were you/are you in the military?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Hello,

I highly encourage you to view this site as your free training course. Read through the threads. Use the search feature to find what you are looking for. Keep asking questions. I have learned almost everything I know in affiliate marketing from this forum and from a bunch of trial and error on my sites.

In terms of what you should use to build sites, I don't like the idea of paying money to have a site hosted. Once you are more experienced, this might be a necessary option to do the things you want to do, but when you are just starting out, use the free tools that are available. If you want to start a blog, use blogger or WordPress. If you want to start a social network/forum, use Ning. These are my favorite site building tools and they are free. I'm sure there are many more.

The best thing you can do in this thread is to tell us what you are interested in. Do you have a favorite hobby or passion you know a lot about and would be willing to spend a lot of time on? If so, we could help you put together a plan for how you can do something online and hopefully make some money while you do it.

Lots of information. Thanks Guys.
    To answer a few questions, I am not in the army I just grew up in Bronx, N.Y. It was crazy growing up, lol. I also don't have my own website, in fact I don't have anything but a laptop. I was thinking of using myspace to advertise. But then again I don't know what I am talking about on this subject yet. So I need my own website and content I can talk about. Oh, can i make a website with only my laptop or would I need a server?
    As for my hobbies and interest,l I like making music such as hip hop and reggae beats for fun. I also like to help people like teaching them that they can self improve. I also like to watch animal planet all of the time and the discovery channel. I like art and I like to watch people, lol, people are amusing and educational to me. I also like the thought of helping starving 3rd world countries.
    Now, how can my hobbies help me become a better affiliate marketer?? I am not doubting I just want to learn OICUAM2. And thanks for all the great info Rhia7.

So I need my own website and content I can talk about. Oh, can i make a website with only my laptop or would I need a server?
    You can create the webpages [that combined will create your website] on your laptop but you will need to FTP the pages to a host so that others may view the pages.

There are free hosts but I've tried many free hosts and they were beset with problems.

You need your own domain. You need to get a domain at a registrar such as GoDaddy or 1&1.
    Read the threads to get opinions & tips.

You need to pick a topic that you can market to people.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Wow, so making my own website really doesn't sound that difficult at all. I just have to send the info somewhere else. Is creating my own website the only way to make money as an affiliate? I'm just curious.

Wow, so making my own website really doesn't sound that difficult at all. I just have to send the info somewhere else. Is creating my own website the only way to make money as an affiliate? I'm just curious.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=79507
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Well, since you listed hip hop music first, let me start with that.

Social networks are great for people who want to promote their music. This is how MySpace and other social networks really took off.

You could start a social network about music on a free service such as Ning. I would go to Ning first and do a search for the type of music you like. See what social networks are already built on Ning so you have an idea of what is being done.

You could start a general music site where people could promote their music, or you could make a fan site for your favorite artist.

Once you decide what you will do, do a search on Google related to your subject to see what other sites are available. Do some keyword research to see how many people are searching for the keywords related to the artist or music you will base your site on.

Next, think about how you could monetize your network. If you get a lot of people joining your network and participating, you will need something more than just people clicking on ads. You might sell mp3 downloading services, concert tickets through an affiliate program such as TicketMaster, t-shirts, posters, etc...

Before choosing a network name and starting your network, I would use any of the domain registration services to search for a good domain name. Ask your family and friends about the names you found. Find something short, memorable, and descriptive of your site. When you decide on a name, register it.

Then go to Ning and start one of their free networks. Name it the domain name you are holding onto. The network will then be located at yourdomainname.ning.com and it will be hosted on the Ning servers. For $5 per month you can change it to just yourdomainname.com.

With simple point and click, you can add a forum, a video feature, a chat room, blog functionality, etc... You will have a professional looking social network within a few minutes.

The next step is to start some content on your network by starting a few discussions and posting some videos.

Then invite people to your network and start promoting it. This is a difficult part, but just keep adding content and inviting people to your network.

Once you have people on your network, you can pay $20 a month to remove the ads placed on your site by Ning in order to place your own ads and monetization strategies on your network.

Then keep learning, keep testing monetization ideas, keep posting content, keep promoting the network, etc....

This strategy allows you to start a site with very little money and ramp up your expenses when it is worth paying $20 per month to have your own ads on it.

OICUAM2, Rhia7, teezone and Erin Cigich Thanks A million. I will be putting all of this information to work. I checked out the magic bullet. I see it's a destination created for newbies like me, lol. Thanks for directing me there Rhia7, I'll be sure to check it out more often before asking questions. I am glad I found this website, you guys are all great. Thanks again. Good night.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    You asked which networks specifically offer some free training... LinkShare has been doing a lot of webinars that are free to affiliates, and it doesn't cost anything to sign up as a member of their network to take advantage of these webinars. Commission Junction also has CJU, which is a lot of information if you feel like sitting & reading through stuff. I bet the other networks out there have similar stuff, but those are the two I personally have the most experience with in terms of their training efforts.

Another affiliate marketing newbie asked a bunch of similar questions recently and I think she's off in the right direction now after getting answers, so you can check out that thread as well http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=114659

Thank you Trishalyn. I will look into those networks as well.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    You are a fluent, passionate writer - I can see that already.

There are a lot of things to learn when it comes to online marketing, Affiliate Marketing is one niche. "Build it and they will come" doesn't really work very well. There are a lot of things to do behind the scenes - One small detail can mean a lot of wasted energy - or bring great rewards like satisfaction, financial, etc.

I suggest learning what writing a business plan entails - start with a solid business foundation - it will help you bring focus to what you are attempting to accomplish.

~ Denis
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Build site
    List products
    Check stats

Do more site building
    Amend products and pages in light of stats
    Check stats

Build site
    Try new products
    Check stats

etc. etc.

It's a marathon, not a sprint, don't expect overnight success.

The only money I've ever spent on "training" has been on software manuals.

If someone tells you how to do it for a price, they really don't know how to do it.

The best advice I've had was given to me for free by other affiliates and software users (online). This site is worth more than all the "magic bullet" deals added together (see the magic bullet thread!).

Build a site on what you know and have an interest in - it will get boring at some point whatever your site is about and it's best that you will be able to come back to it because of your interest.

Build site
    List products
    Check stats

If in doubt what to do next - build site.

I really didn't think about creating a business plan Convergence. I will look up on how to create one, It sounds like common sense. I guessed I over looked that one. Paul_Ward I am noticing more and more that this site does have a lot of answers for free. Not only that, but people really want to see you do well which is twice as important when receiving advice from someone. It ads this feeling of I can really do it! lol. Thanks again.

Thanks Erin. I'll go check them out. By the way, would you have any in mind that also offers training?

Full Disclosure here - I head up the publisher team at Clickbooth. We're launching our official affiliate certification program next week. We've also produced a series of webinars.

We'll be building the program out over the coming months.

Okay, That's good to know. I'll check out the webinars.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    You are a fluent, passionate writer - I can see that already.
    Thanks for the compliment. I never thought of it like that before.

Hey,

I think you have CJ and CB confused. Clickbooth was the first to launch a completely free affiliate training program. Webinars are located here http:// affiliates.clickbooth.com/video1.html and http:// edu.clickbooth.com/thank_you.html
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; February 23rd, 2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Removed hotlink

Man that's a lot of good information. Glad you asked the question.

start a blog
    you can get blog on google and start from there

Onemanarmy, you said you might be kinda thinking about wealthy affiliate? A lot of people will tell you that you don't need to spend any money on anything its right here at the forum, and they are exactly right. However if you are like me and had a hard time at first making it all come together and click than wealthy affiliate isn't a bad investment, if you are brand new to this and want a good place to start.

They have a 8 week coarse that lays out a lot of info in a organized manner for you to go over. I did the 8 week coarse and left but many people stay for years. I think it helped me get started as it put my learning in a step by step manner that was in the right order.

You can find it all for free online if you spend the time and search but its a real time saver and their are lots of people to ask questions if you are having information overload.

What ever you do, good luck!

Mm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast