Smile How can can Host my domain in my home network?
    Can any one say how can I host my domain in my home itself? Now I have a static IP broadband connection, I have PC running Win-Xp, which can be online for 24 hours.. What else do I need to do for it.. I am helpless.. Please help me out of it..

I wouldn't recommend this at all .. you need to have security & protection in place to act as a host, much more than your regular pc can afford.

If you want a website, there are plenty of free options out there. Leave hosting to the experts.

Tropical Mountaintop
    Your ISP would probably be contacting you shortly if you did that. Many ISPs will allow you to have a personal page that THEY host, but that's it. Some ISPs will allow it, but under a different type of plan than you would have for your own use. From your question I would suggest that you would be far better off to pay the $10 a month to have professional setup and management of your hosting.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Also, your site would be so slow even with just a couple of visitors at one time. Most ISPs have different upload / download speeds - usually faster on the download. This means your site is "uploading" slower to your visitor/s computer/s. It will NOT be a good experience for the user and will have a lasting negative impact on your site.

There are hosting plans out there for under $4 / month - I know, since 2003 I have owned a hosting business (and am slowly phasing out of it and not looking for new customers).

Do yourself and your visitors a favor - spend a couple of bucks.

~ Denis
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

http and a telephoto
    In addition to all of the above, what happens when YOUR power goes out or your connection goes down or the cats or the kids turn off the computer accidentally? I know many of us that have an "extra" computer laying around that *could* use it as a server, but it is really a very bad idea.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I know many of us that have an "extra" computer laying around that *could* use it as a server, but it is really a very bad idea.
    Or two, or three. LOL. I briefly considered this route until I listed out all the pros and cons. Cons definitely outweighed the pros. I certainly have the know-how to do it, but I prefer paying for the convenience of not having to deal with all the logistics and headaches myself. It leaves me time to concentrate on everything else about the business.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread