ABW Ambassador
    Is it converting for anyone? I sent them 535 very targeted Adword clicks, as in "City Name Hotel" and only thru exact matches (disabled the broad matching option) and not a single booking.

I thought the hotel industry was lucrative?! Anyone promoting them theu PPC?

Javi

-------------
    <font size="1">There are two theories to arguing with a woman -- neither one works.</font>

Travel is notorious for tire kickers.
    They probably went to compare proces at travelocity, expedia etc....

<hr>
    Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

ABW Ambassador
    They have worked well for me, although i have no idea what the conversion rate was because they have a stupid policy of only telling affiliates the click-thru rate if you ask for them.

ABW Ambassador
    paused the campaign and wont be reactivating it any time soon..

-------------
    <font size="1">There are two theories to arguing with a woman -- neither one works.</font>

Affiliate Manager
    ppc is definately tricky with travel- and there are a lot of shoppers. I would encourage anyone using this option to make extensive se of our temp IDs to track your conversion. Let your account manager (affiliate@ian.com) know if you have questions.

Jessica Hutson
    Senior Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network

A parasite free contract since June 2001
    http://ian.com

I just had another thought.
    In the travel industry I would not consider "City Name Hotel" very targeted.

Consider terms where price is not the major consideration.

Something along the lines of
    "City Name Hotels with bike trails"
    "City Name Hotels near airport"
    "City Name Hotels with wireless internet access"

<hr>
    Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

Affiliate Manager
    airport is actually a great term- often business travellers who will purchase quickly and appreciate a price guarentee

Jessica Hutson

Do business travelers really buy online?

Almost every business I know of with over 10 employees requires them to use a specific travel agent or has a specific online service that they require. The company then gets all sorts of statistics back, and may also have an arrangement to get a portion of the commission back at year end. Travelers may use the internet to find a hotel, but they then give that name to their required agency.

My experience is that only individuals (very small business and vacation travelers) actually purchase tickets from sites like Expedia, Travelnow, etc.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

Affiliate Manager
    They are not our top users- but yes, they do book online. There has atually been a slew of articles recently on how the prices online mean many people are booking their own travel instead of going through the company agent and the companies are signing off on it because of the savings.

Jessica Hutson

I have to agree with Jessica on this one. The building I work in (one of our nine main sites) has at least 600 people working in it. And a lot of our travel is booked online. When we have large get-togethers (leadership conferences, etc.), it will be booked centrally through our corporate office, but often folks handle the trip on their own. For example, our pro sports writers will put together their road trip plans and our national sales team will do the same for big sales trips.

I think branding is the key, though, because they get in a groove with using a handful of sites to compare prices, then buy.

Anyway, a little chatter from the peanut gallery!
    ;-)

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

ABW Ambassador
    As a consultant in my previous life who for 8 years got on a plane every monday, flew home on friday and got a different hotel room and rental car every week I never would have dreamed of booking online why?

1) The company picked up whatever the price was so I didn't have to worry about being price concious.
    2) E-Tickets suck - Frequent flyers would rather have tickets in hand IMO "every time" than having to spend extra time getting them at the counter.

My travel agent did all the bookings and sent needed airline tickets to me for no more than I would pay if I went to the airline, hotel and rental car counter directly myself. I'm not lazy but having someone take care of reservations for you "for free" is a huge appeal in using a travel agent for frequent business travelers who already has a ton of things to deal with. It certainly made my life much easier when I traveled all the time.

I can tell you that most of the other consultants had travel agents themselves as well - and the ones that didn't were happy to use the source we refered to them.

Frequent business travelers in a large part have absolutely no incentive to reduce their costs which is unfortunate but true! We (my wife was in the same business and we always worked on the same projects) went to the same city for a period of months to years on contracts and we always booked our flights at least a month ahead of time (and arranged our tickets to where we initially went oneway and then had roundtrip based tickets from the other city so we had a weekend stayover to reduce costs) - but many others waited to the last minute and could care less about what how much extra it cost to book last minute flights.

Our company wasn't that unique in this aspect because travel related costs were passed on directly to the client and the client was more than willing to pay whatever fees they had to to get consultants who had experience they needed to fullfill their dp needs which costed a premium anyway.

Their is a huge amount of consultants who fit the same mold as I described above.

===================================
    Child labor laws exist yet, parasite partnering merchants (PP Merchants) and the COC allow an adult affiliates income to be diverted into the pockets of parasites and consider it normal business!

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants and the COC directly supports what many consider unfair trade practices, identity theft and thievery!

Was giving this some more thought -

Happypoon is exactly right about price not being much of an issue when clients are paying. Even when it is the company that is paying, they often feel more comfortable trusting an agent to find the "best price" indtead of letting the employee do it, as the employee may have ulterior motives (building up miles on a particular airline that is more expensive, etc).

Even more important is that receipt. Tickets purchased online usually only create a webpage printout or email as a receipt which some states (or even the federal government) will not accept as valid for tax purposes; versus a travel agent will send an actual printed receipt in the mail. This is extremely important now that e-tickets are the norm, since you only get a receipt from the agent if you remember to ask for it. No receipt, no reimbursement. Makes using the travel agent very important. If online ticketing firms could snail mail a printed receipt, even for an extra $2, it might make them more attractive to business travelers.

As far as e-tix go though - I have to disagree with Happypoon. I love E-tix. I just show up with my passport or other ID - no fidling for tickets, which can get lost. If I only have carry-on luggage I just go to the kiosk and slip in my FF card and it prints the boarding pass in seconds - I can even pick out my own seat from a seating chart. I absolutely HATE having to stand in the normal check-in line waiting behind a family of 6 who has no clue how to check in. Best of all, I can make eservations this morning and fly this afternoon without waiting for tickets to be mailed.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

Affiliate Manager
    I would say this has to fall in the one size doesn't fit all-

I travel a couple times a month- and I love my etickets. The kiosk is my best friend when I travel. Hotels, I always go through our internal dept for travel.

My dad has his secretary set up all of his travel- she goes online- gets lower rates than estimated for his budget and is often a lifesaver at the end of the year when he needs to squeeze in extra trips or find money for somethign else.

I have a friend who uses the agency for air since it's such a pain to follow the prices, but always books her own hotel online for work- she'd rather be the one who determines what is worth the price and she generally finds great deals on slightly nicer hotels than the rest of her company- making business travel much more enjoyable for her. She will often deposit herself by a favorite shopping venue or theater, or she'll get a nicer hotel and drive a bit further.

Jessica Hutson

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I would say this has to fall in the one size doesn't fit all-<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. From my perspective I booked long term and well in advance so I could not only get better prices but had a choice of a good seating assignment - I hate the back of the plane and waiting for all those slow people getting their crap off the plane . For me, I always wanted a window seat near the front of the plane or an emergency exit seat for the extra room (I'm not a small guy).

Etickets didn't afford me the luxury to reserve seating as part of my booking but my travel agent always knew exactly what I wanted and got the best she could for me. For some, this may not be important but for many frequent travelrs who fly every week as I did - it's a big deal!

Certainly if I traveled now I would book through a certain site though and request all my consultant buddies to do the same . Boy did I miss out on a ton of dollars! Flights, hotels and rental cars for 5 days every week adds up big in a hurry!

Great News - we can now support ebates and pp merchants - they are cleaning up their act and I'll bet it'll be a long time before we see another clip of ebates overwriting affiliate links.

A bit off-topic, but related to IAN/Travelnow...Jessica, I've just joined the aff. program for Travel Now through IAN and I'm wondering if there is a data feed?

I've perused the Affiliate Center, but just wanted to know if there's something standard, with destinations and perhaps even content/articles that can be implemented on a larger basis than just page by page.

Thanks,
    Bleddyn

Affiliate Manager
    Yes and Yes-
    There is a database (actually a number of them) located in the affilaite center- integration-databases

The hotel content is free, destination guide content is only availble with a fee (It's a negotiated third party- RoughGuides) through xml. If you are interested-pm me

Jessica Hutson

Jessica:

BTW, we're looking at a new "featured" partner on our travel page. TravelNow looks like the frontrunner ...

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

Affiliate Manager
    Great news- let me know if there is anythign you need and we'll be happy to help!

Jessica Hutson

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread