How to get started?
    Just found out about Popshops. Tried the free membership but wanted more flexibility so upgraded to Enterprise to try for 15 days.

I don't know much about coding.

I know how to add the products, customize, and add it to a Wordpress blog.

But I want my site to look more professional. I see others who have sidebars with different sub categories of their main product.

But trying to read about the coding here has got my head spinning. Is there a step by step easy guide to help me set up a dynamic shop?

Thanks

The simplest concept to grab onto is using a search enabled store store page. Do a few multi word and single word searches and look at how the url is made.

Create your category links ending with /?psps_search=yellow+banana or whatever. You could simply build links off that idea and put those in a wordpress text widget if you aren't ready to dive in to some php pages.

That's the basic trick. The rest is technique and improvements like meta tags, css and methods to make sub categories etc..

Quote Originally Posted by jazzylee77
    The simplest concept to grab onto is using a search enabled store store page. Do a few multi word and single word searches and look at how the url is made.

Create your category links ending with /?psps_search=yellow+banana or whatever. You could simply build links off that idea and put those in a wordpress text widget if you aren't ready to dive in to some php pages.

That's the basic trick. The rest is technique and improvements like meta tags, css and methods to make sub categories etc..
    Okay i'm sorry for my clueness, but what do you mean?

So i should set up a "search enabled store page"? So I should use the search function in the forum to see how that is set up?

But should I be creating a page from a new html project, or php? I don't know about coding so I don't know how to start a page from scrap.

So i should set up a "search enabled store page"? So I should use the search function in the forum to see how that is set up?
    If you don't have a search enabled page, to look at, just look at some others.

enter this in a search
    Code:
    ?psps_search=red
    Go to one of those results.

Do some searches in one of the stores. See the urls? Look at the urls of the links in the nav. See the connection?

If you too had such a search page, you could create those kinds of urls.

But should I be creating a page from a new html project, or php? I don't know about coding so I don't know how to start a page from scrap.
    You will most likely want to use the php version of the shop somehow. Many ways to do that. PHP won't execute within wordpress posts without a plugin. If you go the html route; or PHP pages without the extension .php check the stickied thread above. (Using PHP (or JS) on .htm or .html pages)

If you can build html pages, an easy way for you might be to name your pages with the file extension .php and insert the php shop code where you want it.

The more you learn php the more you can save yourself some work. Learning to use php includes for your headers footers and sidebars is a good place to start.

Or keep reading the dynamic store thread till it sinks in and do it that way.

Do you have a site we can look at? If so, put it in your ABW profile so we can visit and look at where things stand. While search-enabled shops with customized menus and sidebars are great for a site, they can take a bit of setup work. Maybe we can walk you through it once we can see what you're facing now.
    Be at peace,
    Casey

Lass Group Mall - Free parking first hour or with any purchase.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread