Exclamation KeywordSpy - Showing on Logs?!
    Greetings All,

I'm seeing log events from a site called KeywordSpy ...

Should I be worried ? Is this a tool scrapper uses or something?

I checked the site out, but dont really understand what its trying to display for people ...

Any thoughts?

Thanks for viewing!

What you are seeing is an information gathering device. It is supposed to be a keyword tool, providing information on what keywords are being used by competitors. If you are selling doohickeys and would like to know what keywords your competition is using to sell doohickeys this is one of about a zillion companies that do this sort of thing. It should be no more harmful than being spidered by browsers.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Ugh so someone is trying to spy on my keywords!!!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Pretty much and turn around and sell them in their service

~ Denis
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    Pretty much and turn around and sell them in their service

~ Denis
    I have one good defense against that ....

My site isnt exclusivly Affiliate related .. so most of the keywords that seem to be poping up (on the free thing) yield no value, and the other stuff .. the paid .. i dunno im not going to sign up . but I'll assume its going to show a huge list of keywords that they wont have any use for ...

ABW Ambassador
    Keyword spy can't get anything more from a site than the other bots see. The content on your site which is available to anyone is of not much value to Keyword spy. But what keywords you bid on in google or yahoo is the data that they are after and is valuable. They sell this data to others.

The fact that someone was trying to look at your keywords is a compliment to your site (that's the way I view these things!).

For what it's worth, I find their data pretty meaningless - when I type my content domain, it comes up with 2 year old PPC data, and some that I never even used.

I like these "competitor" tools - they can sometimes lead your competition astray

As long as they follow your robots.txt file they won't see anything the public can't see. If they aren't following robots.txt - block'em.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?p=902504

Yes, I have seen KeywordSpy in my logs for a couple of years on my site about computer security.
    The thing is, suppose they even come to know about what keywords I bid for on Google. They still don't know whether I have a good campaign and ads with those words. They don't know whether I get sales from those ads.
    For e.g., I have an AdSense campaign left running for about two years just because I'm only paying 1c per click - but it doesn't bring in many visitors (and related sales are not evident). I just figure that I can afford these 1c visitors and they might buy something one day.

So, to any spys I can ony say: good luck trying to second-guess how another person's keywords, ads, pages and sales fit together.

So, as far as I know, teezone and Terri are right. Nothing to worry about - and not all sites are worth spying on so maybe it really is a compliment.

I see them all the time in my stats so I blocked it in my .htaccess file.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I see them all the time too. Robot.txt probably won't prevent access. You'd have to do what BB did, or add a script that presents a blank page for keywordspy referrers.

X

I'm seeing log events from a site called KeywordSpy
    Some believe that they try to show up in logs every once in a while as a form of advertising. In your case it worked and we are talking about it in an open forum. I never see them hit enough pages to do them much good so the advertising idea seems credible to me.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    Some believe that they try to show up in logs every once in a while as a form of advertising. In your case it worked and we are talking about it in an open forum. I never see them hit enough pages to do them much good so the advertising idea seems credible to me.
    John that makes sense as I see them on a site of mine that has very little traffic, is basically parked, and has never used PPC.

Made no sense to me.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread