Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    Affiliates! What was your favorite promo?
    As affiliate managers we often wonder the best way to incentives, motivate, and otherwise excite affiliates to participate in promotional contests. Sometimes we come up with really good, original ideas on our own. Sometimes we just do what we know you already like.

And sometimes it's just good to ask you!

What are some of your favorite promos, contests and prizes you have seen / participated in / won as affiliates? If you haven't seen want you want yet, please tell us what it is. We just might be able to oblige.

What do you prefer?

Extra commission (one time)
    Prizes (TVs, Wiis, etc)
    Trips / Travel
    Merchandise (free products)
    Gift cards

What makes you want to participate most?

Thanks!

I would wish to go for trip or a travel. The reason is all the others gives out short time happiness. Extra commission I may forget when I spend it. Prizes that I would throw it in one part of my house which I wouldn't turn back. Free products and gift cards are temporary happiness. When I make a trip or travel I wouldn't forget in my life. It would stay in my memory forever. I may get back to my memories when ever I feel.

Banned
    All of the above are great, but I would have to lean toward the trip. It would have to be attainable, however. I would not bother taking part in a promotion if I knew I would never have a chance at the prize.

One thing to condsider is different levels of prizes. Have a great grand prize that might be harder to attain because it is of a great value, but also have some smaller prizes or gift cards so that some of the smaller guys can take part. I understand that every one cannot win somethig (you would go broke), but you should try to include as many affiliates as possible. A commision boost would also be nice.

nobugs seems to have the right idea. Make whatever you offer attainable for everyone, even (or maybe expecially) the smaller affiliate. If the prizes are for the "most sales" in a given period of time, small affs "know" they cannot beat the big dogs.

For example, I make a nice living doing this stuff but I do NOT do PPC. So, in some niches I cannot sell the quantity of product to qualify in a "most sales" competition - yet I may actually make a higher level of profit for me - because I have no advertising (PPC) expense. I would not be interested in that contest.

However, a contest where one competes with ones' own performance. Say a 10% increase over last quarter's three month average - for the upcoming month. THAT is something I can work on with a good chance of success.

The thread indicated by ProWebAddict has that "type" of contest mentioned - with a nice prize, to boot. However, I would caution you to NOT make changes to the rules a week or so into the contest. That totally ruined that one for me; I may have qualified but I chose to put my efforts elsewhere.

Oh yes, prizes. A commish increase, a trip, or even dinner in San Diego () would be cool.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    nobugs seems to have the right idea. Make whatever you offer attainable for everyone, even (or maybe expecially) the smaller affiliate. If the prizes are for the "most sales" in a given period of time, small affs "know" they cannot beat the big dogs.

For example, I make a nice living doing this stuff but I do NOT do PPC. So, in some niches I cannot sell the quantity of product to qualify in a "most sales" competition - yet I may actually make a higher level of profit for me - because I have no advertising (PPC) expense. I would not be interested in that contest.

However, a contest where one competes with ones' own performance. Say a 10% increase over last quarter's three month average - for the upcoming month. THAT is something I can work on with a good chance of success.

The thread indicated by ProWebAddict has that "type" of contest mentioned - with a nice prize, to boot. However, I would caution you to NOT make changes to the rules a week or so into the contest. That totally ruined that one for me; I may have qualified but I chose to put my efforts elsewhere.

Oh yes, prizes. A commish increase, a trip, or even dinner in San Diego () would be cool.
    Oh yes, my bad.

I liked the original promotions that had been going on a few times per year, not the modified version. I just linked to that because it was the first one I saw.

I like competing aganist my own performance, not aganist $100,000 a day spent on PPC folks.

I'll second Beachy on the percent increase in sales. I've got a merchant that does week to week comparisons during Q4 to see if we've seen an individual increase. It's one of the few bonus campaigns that I've actually won more than once. But really a bonus campaign doesn't mean anything to me if they don't fit my niche and they aren't a merchant I can sell for. The best thing any merchant can do for me is provide additional and more frequently updated product data upon my request.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I with one advertiser have hit a bonus every month which is cash based and I absolutely love, but if they offered a trip I would make my best effort to spend every waking moment on attaining that!
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

Do affiliate programs really make money?
    Do affiliate programs really make money?
    which is best affiliate network

I realize a lot of affiliates love promotions. However, I make my living with affiliate marketing and definitely would prefer merchants invest the cost of promotions into consistent higher commission rates. That is what best helps me be motivated, incented and otherwise excited to be put in a long term effort to create a long term benefit.

Just keep in mind that foreign based affiliates who may be in your program(s) could miss out on a travel prize.

I prefer cash myself. Travel or electronics may not be every one's priority at the same time where as cash is good for anything, anywhere.

Show this hoochiemomma the money baby!

I would agree there are many good networks out there. Be sure to research them and make sure they have offers for the traffic you want to deliver. Also look for networks that have AM's who work with your traffic type. The AM's can give you good advice if they specialize in a certain type of traffic.

April Weber
    Affiliate Strategist
    Clickbooth

Hi

Sometimes it difficult to offer a trip or prizes when you have affiliates pushing traffic to your site when are they are based in different countries.

If you know that all your top affiliate are in one country (say USA) then a trip is a great motivating idea.

If in doubt offer cash.

In terms of offering more cash per transaction, I have seen an increase in commission does lead to a growth in sales, but the odd promotion is good for a short term boast.

The bottom line, is work with your affiliates and help them to grow as you grow.

Aamir

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for your great responses! I loved the feedback and thank you for your time to answer it.

These are all things we have done before and have found to work well. I think working closely with affiliates to help them improve month by month is the most important and we are happy to reward the hard work and attention to a program for such an effort.

I also like the feedback on the trips. It seems that it might be hard for some people to travel so maybe a spa package in the city they live in would be good (like a little getaway and not too inconvenient) or gift cards I like.

What I wanted to know was answered for me, since no one mentioned electronics, we'll focus our attention away from that for now.

AWESOME! Thanks everyone!

know this is a little off topic:

I recently had a discussing with someone at ASW, that suggested they had evidence of at least one major Affiliate Network (I will not name names) that has a great incentive program as well as gifts like vacations, is shaving leads from the Affiliate in order to cover the cost of the promotion. I have no idea if this is true but Iím hearing more and more about it lately, and from my experience in this industry I would not be surprised if it is happening all over the place. So how do the legitimate companies afford to give out promotions? Well I can only speak for Motive Interactive, we spend our own money, most the contest / promotions we run cost us money, my the time we pay commissions and a prize there is nothing less on the already tight margin Ė we just consider this a marketing cost. So just keep your eyes open and make sure the network you are working with is not doing anything shifty.

As for what promotions Affiliates like? Well itís the smaller stuff like. The Xbox Elite is way more popular than the carís and vacations..

Easy Cash Incentive!
    Here's one promo that's going on right now. It ends in 5 days. What do you think?

"For the next 5 days only, Adoption Network Law Center is giving away $25 for any article in a blog, e-newsletter, or on your website about adoption, parenting, or unexpected pregnancy that reference ANLC. All you have to do is write the article, post a link to the ANLC landing page and send it to adoption@49above.com to get credited $25 to your account!

The article has to make sense for your website niche so if you have a parenting, baby, teen or otherwise related website then give it a go! You will also receive $5 per link leading to ANLC's landing page (banners and text links), up to 5 links per affiliate, outside of the article.

That's $50 EASY cash just for signing up for the program and participating to it's fullest until the end of January!

This incentive ends Wednesday, January 28th, so make sure you apply for the program, get your links up and your article written before then. You have 5 days left to do it!

You can find the sign up link if you do a search for "ANLC".

You will receive an email that says to call Hanna Ahn. Don't worry about doing that, we will get your dedicated phone number emailed to you shortly. Just get the article written and the banners up, and away you go!!

Please contact Lasse Kubiack with any questions at adoption@49above.com."

How's that for a good affiliate promotion?

I think it may be very to goof for the merchant to generate link for its SEO program. For the affiliate it is guaranteed payment will little effort. My respect goes out to the program.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread