Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Replacing Old "Content" - The Right Way To Do So
    I had no idea where to put this question, and as it sounds very much like what a newbie would ask, I'm biting the bullet and asking it here:

Years ago, on one of my first sites, I put up several dozen articles from one of the article sites, ezine I think.

I'm updating this site and writing my own original articles on the same subjects to replace them.

Would it be better to just replace the old articles with the new ones on each old page, or delete the old article pages and put up new pages for each new article?

Thanks for your responses to anyone who is not on their way to Las Vegas.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Why not complement the old pages and just add new pages, while keeping the old pages?
    Do the old pages rank well for any keywords?

not saying this is the right way to do it, but if you are going to write content on the same topics, then maybe you could figure out a clean way to include the old content at the bottom of each page under your new content. then you would have twice the content on one page. it might look similar to a blog format with the older content below. you could also add newer content to the top in the future and keep building.

might work?
    superCool

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Why not complement the old pages and just add new pages, while keeping the old pages?
    I want to get rid of the old articles that are probably on hundreds of other sites, verbatim.
    Do the old pages rank well for any keywords?
    For long-tail phrases such as the article titles (I am as high as no 1 on Google for some of the titles, not so good for others, but there are very few searches for them) and closely-related phrases, but not for the specific better-searched words and phrases.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by superCool
    not saying this is the right way to do it, but if you are going to write content on the same topics, then maybe you could figure out a clean way to include the old content at the bottom of each page under your new content. then you would have twice the content on one page. it might look similar to a blog format with the older content below. you could also add newer content to the top in the future and keep building.

might work?
    superCool
    Interesting idea, except I still would have the duplicate content penalty problem.

ABW Ambassador
    sounds like you need to scrap the old content and start from fresh

sounds like you need to scrap the old content and start from fresh
    Exactly.

My question was whether or not to delete the old pages and put up new ones, or to keep the old pages with new content - which would be better for future SERPS?

If the topics will be the same, just toss out the old and put in your new stuff. G does not like static, stagnant pages unless it is a reference table. G likes to see things that change, as long as the description fits; if the page description needs to be updated as well, do that, but you are better off to replace common articles with unique content wherever possible. New pages will take time to get the rank your existing pages have.
    I am headed to Vegas but not today

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    If the topics will be the same, just toss out the old and put in your new stuff. G does not like static, stagnant pages unless it is a reference table. G likes to see things that change, as long as the description fits; if the page description needs to be updated as well, do that, but you are better off to replace common articles with unique content wherever possible. New pages will take time to get the rank your existing pages have.
    I am headed to Vegas but not today
    Have a good trip - enjoy ASW.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Exactly.

My question was whether or not to delete the old pages and put up new ones, or to keep the old pages with new content - which would be better for future SERPS?
    Your old pages have titles that brought visitors, right?
    Keep the titles and update the content.
    If you have some old content that is still valid try to weave new content in with that.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    For long-tail phrases such as the article titles (I am as high as no 1 on Google for some of the titles, not so good for others, but there are very few searches for them) and closely-related phrases, but not for the specific better-searched words and phrases.
    You're Google #1 for some of the titles - and you want to scrap those pages?

Yeah, I would keep the article titles, include the same long tail phrases in your new content and add the new content to your existing, ranked, indexed pages. Even if you may drop briefly due to new content, if the content remains the same to your republished content (relevant) and you keep the same keywords/phrases that got those pages ranked in the first place, I can't see why those pages wouldn't remain as important.

I've done the same with pages that used to be Wikipedia content. And they still do alright.

But then you're dealing with search engines who can't decide the best thing all the time. I rank well for bull%*$% and don't rank for quality, original stuff that I write. But I would never scrap well indexed pages.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Quote Originally Posted by VampireSkunk
    You're Google #1 for some of the titles - and you want to scrap those pages?
    Titles that never get searched, except when I test them.

They do not rank that well for the individual keywords within the titles and content, that would bring customers.

Your new content will be an "improvement", fresh content on static pages is always a good thing as long as it is relevant to the keywords you're targeting.
    A new page takes time to be indexed, the existing pages are indexed even if poorly ranking on their targeted terms. Fresh relevant content will always improve both your page and site rank. OK, leaving shortly, I will follow your instructions.

The approach I would take is the one(s) suggested by 2busy and Rhia7. I had a similar situation a while back and hired my daughter re-write the "old" content that was duplicated everywhere (provided to me years ago by a travel merchant). She came up with fresh-sounding narrative that was not copied but, in fact, contained more recent information and more comprehensive information. It took a while, but those pages did climb in the SERPs and I am now found in searches for a much larger assortment of "long tail" keywords.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

No matter which way you go, I would do it slowly over time. You may also want to keep the first paragraph if it is an intro with good keywords.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

If the content is in G's index and ranking at all, I don't really see why you would scrap it (unless what the content says somehow is totally outdated and no longer relevant).

If you ask me, the need to update all your pages for ranking well in Google is a myth. Or at least it is only a very small part of the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by MicHawk
    If the content is in G's index and ranking at all, I don't really see why you would scrap it (unless what the content says somehow is totally outdated and no longer relevant).
    Read the post, hound said the pages are not ranking for keywords

Quote Originally Posted by MicHawk
    If you ask me, the need to update all your pages for ranking well in Google is a myth.
    I agree. You do not have to update your pages to rank well. If your content is unique to begin with, if you also so happen to be the first to post (even if that was in e.g. 2002), and you provide value to your visitors, G will take notice and if you're lucky you will be seen as an authority in your niche, and rank you well. Write for your visitors and create value for them.

If you do a search "site:www.yourdomain//" or "site:www.yourdomain/*" and don't see said particular page come up, you know your page has been dumped into supplemental. Time to update and change the content. Once you update the content try to get some backlinks to boost that page up.

CPA Network Rep
    Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has been in the SEO world for years...

You never, never, never, ever, ever, ever want to take down old content off your website, especially if those pages are cached! You can add to the old content or spruce it up a bit, but you shouldn't take those pages down.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread