ABW Ambassador
    Hello,

I have more than 1000 pictures on my website. I get lots of requests to use these pictures for one thing or another - which I almost always allow. But, today, got a rather unusual request and am not sure what to do about. Was hoping for some ideas.

A person wants to use one of my photos for a painting - with their painting based completely off the photo. Should I just say yes and let them do what they will with it on the painting? Or should I somehow try to get some credit for the painting? Or attempt to sell them the right to use the photo for painting??

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Jim

If you use your photos to earn your living, by all means, ask for some kind of a consideration. If not, just give it to them in keeping with the season of generosity.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    I'd ask what they are going to do with the painting, but most likely they aren't a professional so I would just let them have it. I would however ask them to send you a photo of the painting when it's done

About 5 years ago I wanted to use a lighthouse in my logo for a web site. I found the perfect picture but it was a painting. Out of courtesy I emailed him and he let me use it. There is almost no chance he ever would have found out about me using his painting.

I think your lucky he contacted you and his intentions are good.

Special Note:
    After he is completed with the painting have him print up 1000 reproductions and let me sell then for 30% commish

<hr>
    Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

ABW Ambassador
    As someone who actually knows people who paint from pictures (it's cool if it's of your kids and such), it involves a lot of work on their part; time and effort. I would just let them have it, it is probably only going up on someones wall anyway.

Robin

To have someone want to paint one of your photos, sounds to me like a real compliment.

Maybe you could follow MrSpeed's idea and work out a deal for reproductions.

Sounds like a good possibility for reaching for the next step in Affiliate Marketing. Becoming a merchant and controlling your profits.

Cow Patch...

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I gave them the green light to paint the picture off the photo. Apparently, the artist is a professional painter but will not be reproducing this painting - in short, it will be sold at a gallery someplace, not being featured on art.com. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Jim

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread