Question HP Office Jet & MICR
    My wife recently went to Office Depot looking for an all-in-one Fax, scanner, copy machine, etc. that would take a MICR ink cartridge. She was told that she needed a HP Officejet J6480. She than came back to me as I order all of her office items through one of my stores. Before I ordered the machine, I checked to see which MICR cartridge it took. IT DOESN'T TAKE ONE! Bad advice from one of the local Office Depot's.

She went to the other Office Depot in town and they told here a Brother MFC-7840W. I checked. No MICR ink cartride. More bad advise.

So my question is for any office supply merchant or someone knowledgable in MICR and these types of machines. Is there a multi-purpose, all in one machine similiar to the HP Officejet J6480 or Brother MFC-7840W that takes a MICR ink cartridge? The MICR is needed to print checks.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Hey Danny,

I know you have struck out with the sales people at the chain stores, but have you tried calling a place that specializes in MICR?

http://www.themicrstore.com/
    they have a 800 # and maybe better answers.
    No relationship w/them never even used them, just tossing out ideas.

GL
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Cursal
    Hey Danny,

I know you have struck out with the sales people at the chain stores, but have you tried calling a place that specializes in MICR?

GL
    Thanks! I did that and learned that MICR is only available for black and white laser printers.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

cool, glad that worked for you

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I own an HP J6480 and can tell you it most definitely does not take a MICR cartridge. Not even close. It a cheapie (relatively speaking, no insult intended), networkable, wireless, multipupose, feeder printer - but not one with MICR capabilities, even as an upgrade. Obviously not just poor advice, but there's no way the person who advised that even knows what MICR means.

For HP MICR priniters, check here:
    http://www.hp.com/large/solutiondeta...d/ipgmicr.html
    (HP has a partner, Troy, that mods the HP units to print MICR)

unless you hit a specialty site (like troy) you will need to work backwards... find the cartridge (whith the special magnetic toner), then the printers that it fits. fonts are the easy part (if they are not already on your computer..).

In the past I've used stock pritners to do checks, the fonts and cartridges were all that were needed. That may have changed with some of the newer printers, most no longer come with font slots and get the fonts from your computer.

the troy site has lots of info.. I did a quick check and they even had a cartidge to fit my less expensive HP1022... so the cartidge cost more than I paid for the printer (ok so I got the HP past employee discount..)

MICR isn't required to print checks. The bank will enter the numbers into their system manually in the proof dept. Non MICR print simply keeps the check from being readable by machine. You should use MICR font though. That said, if you issue a lot of checks, your bank may start complaining about all the manual entries they're having to make.

X

I used to sell high speed mail processing equipment and the error difference between machine read and manual is incredible. If you're cutting lots of checks as a business and skipping the MICR, hope you've got a good relationship with your bank and their resolution department and your suppliers and vendors too.

And the bank doesn't make most of your entries manually, their lock box operation scans the check images, then the reading and entering of the amounts are digitally outsourced to very low wage workers in third world countries. Most bigger banks do a double read (two people enter the data and it's compared for a match, and if there's a difference there, they use resolution schemes to best decide handling that's optimized for them, but is often another read round in triplicate).

Anyhow, skipping the MICR ain't a fantabulous idea. On top of the error rates, I personally dislike the idea of the digital images of my checking accounts financial transactions being ported to some less than regulated places where people are extremely poor.

one of the things to think about in this type of application: do you really need the micr: pre-printed checks are often a lot less expensive and check printing programs normally would have the ability to turn off and on the print of the account number. Since the printing company handles teh account number you are then using reular printers & just need to protect your check stock as you normally would protect your checkbook.

Donuts, I'm starting to think there isn't much you haven't done when it comes to marketing/business.

I would say you are jack of all trades, but a master of none.

But that ain't True now is it

that's an eclair of all trades, but a cruller of none, to you mister.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread