Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bubyee Brookstone
    Brookstone says I'm costing them money by promoting their products on my site.

" , we have found that sales from your website were resulting in a net loss to Brookstone"

How is that possible? Sales = net loss..hmmm.. strange

I guess everyone needs someone to blame Bubyeeee Brookstone
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Got the same thing. If I checked I'm sure they're filled with parasites and a merchant that should have hired somebody competent to run their program. The reason they gave is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Got the same thing. If I checked I'm sure they're filled with parasites and a merchant that should have hired somebody competent to run their program. The reason they gave is ridiculous.
    So true.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Got the same email. My sales are costing them money. I guess they shd stop selling on their site. That will save them a great deal.

Read This And Laugh.
    I got this message in the old email this morning. After I stopped laughing,
    I sent old Matt my standard reply.

Ask me if I care. (nasty stuff left out here). I will just replace your links with links from my long list of other merchants who value FREE branding anc actual sales.

---------------------
    Original Message
    Received: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:59:33 AM PST

Brookstone has changed the way we assess our affiliate program's
    profitability. Based on this analysis, we have found that sales from
    your website were resulting in a net loss to Brookstone, and we must
    cease our partnership effective immediately.
    --------------------

My first thought was how can any of my sales result in a net loss to Brookstone any way you slice it. They only pay me if I make a sale. Worst case they get FREE branding. DUH!

But, I surely would like to know how they plan to make a profit with NO SALES and NO TRAFFIC. That would be a killer trick to have in the bag, IF they have indeed discovered such a thing.

Truly a Homer Simpson moment for the ages.

ABW Ambassador
    < merged threads >

Did they give any more information in their email than that?

How could giving a flat percentage of sales to affiliates result in a net loss? Are you only promoting clearance items or their largest coupons?

Quote Originally Posted by Maim133
    Did they give any more information in their email than?
    You need only read between the lines for more information. They have found a very subtle way of saying "we are morons and have no clue as to how to run an affiliate program."

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    In simple terms their business is unprofitable.
    If they can't make a profit after making a sell, they shdn't be selling.

The only way their email makes sense is if someone's posting coupons for low-commission items.

It makes even less sense that I got the same email, since I've NEVER made a sale for Brookstone (let alone a click).

This reminds me a bit of a speaker I saw at an Affiliate Summit a couple years ago who spoke about the overlap his program saw between paid search/comparison shopping and affiliates. They had found some affiliate sales were unprofitable for them, because the same affiliates were always generating a sale after the person had first clicked on the companies paid search, then perhaps their comparison shopping, and then finally got to the affiliate who collected the commission.

I always thought the tracking and math behind all of it was a bit of a stretch though. And besides you couldn't tell what aspect of the marketing really drove home the sale, so it made removing the affiliate seem like a risky manuever.

I got the message as well, even though our Brookstone sales are increasing.

I am also mystified as to how sales are resulting in a net loss. Perhaps they would be more profitable with fewer sales.

I think they picked a threshhold number for sales and it you are under that number, adios!
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

I wonder how this will affect the sales levels of the parasites in their program since they won't have us to steal from. My commissions may even go up with a parasitic riddled merchant being removed.

Gene
    TCS

Now that I see that I was not the only one getting that email, now I feel better that I drop them on the spot today, and not when they say it will expire, a week from now...

ABW Ambassador
    "I wonder how this will affect the sales levels of the parasites in their program since they won't have us to steal from."

Probably not much at all since they target the merchant domain, doesn't matter how they get there.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    You need only read between the lines for more information. They have found a very subtle way of saying "we are morons and have no clue as to how to run an affiliate program."

-rematt
    Right on!

There are signs all over it, we will be closing in 6-12 months.

It reminds me of Bombay, Sharper Image.

First, this message, then they are terminating affiliates left and right. Then the store goes belly up.
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

I might give their CJ account manager a call tomorrow, though I don't actually plan on promoting them in the near future, nor do I want to burn any more bridges at CJ than I already have .

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    wow, I thought the usual no-sales-so-you're-out-messages were stupid. This one really takes the prize.
    It sounds like they need serious help. If they can't figure out how much to raise the base price to make a profit after subtracting commissions and network fees, They need to go back to school.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    This reminds me a bit of a speaker I saw at an Affiliate Summit a couple years ago who spoke about the overlap his program saw between paid search/comparison shopping and affiliates. They had found some affiliate sales were unprofitable for them, because the same affiliates were always generating a sale after the person had first clicked on the companies paid search, then perhaps their comparison shopping, and then finally got to the affiliate who collected the commission.
    I always thought that was one of the advantages of online marketing, there are so many ways to touch a consumer and drive the sale, the more ways you can touch them the better. Tracking the whole process of multiple channels and touch points is a huge challange, and even then you can never be sure how much influence any single channel had, other than the last one to touch the customer, because the last one did cause the sale.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Quote Originally Posted by ske9963
    There are signs all over it, we will be closing in 6-12 months.

It reminds me of Bombay, Sharper Image.

First, this message, then they are terminating affiliates left and right. Then the store goes belly up.
    Yeah, I wonder if their mall stores will be closing soon too?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Yeah, I wonder if their mall stores will be closing soon too?
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear this.

If you have any gift cards, cash them in before you get screwed like Sharper Image did to thier customers.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

I'd have to agree with Maim133, there is a good chance that they were paying for the click (either adwords or cse-comparison shopping engines, ie-Nextag), as well as a commission on the sale to the affiliate.

However, that's not to say that the merchant is not fully competent at the Affiliate Game, as if they were, they wouldve been able to forecast such an occurance and find a way to avoid making a loss p/ sale.

either that, or their margins are uber thin, and any commission given out causes them to lose out on profits.

15 years and counting
    What's a stupid email!
    This guy is trying to blame affiliates for Brookstone's problems. What's wrong with him?
    I'm an affiliate but also a customer. Up to now, it was a pleasure buying and browsing the aisles of a Brookstone store in a mall. I'm afraid it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    What's a stupid email!
    This guy is trying to blame affiliates for Brookstone's problems. What's wrong with him?
    I'm an affiliate but also a customer. Up to now, it was a pleasure buying and browsing the aisles of a Brookstone store in a mall. I'm afraid it's over.
    Yeah, it is funny how so many merchants forget affiliates are also some of their best customers...or in this case..were.
    leeann

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast