Question: how strictly do you tie content to your niche?
    Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.

My question is: suppose you have a site that targets a primary interest within one niche that itself represents a pretty easily defined consumer demographic (by gender/income etc.)

How far afield can you go in terms of putting up content that hits on other, closely-related interests?

For example. Suppose you are targeting women interested in weight loss diets. You've got an domain name that includes "weight loss diet" in the URL. Lucky you

Could you also put up content related to fitness equipment? After all, women who are looking to lose weight by dieting are also prime candidates for fitness products that will also help them lose weight, right?

If so, what would be the smart way to go about this -- set up an area on the home page that offers a doorway into that content if visitors are interested in it? E.g., as opposed to "muddying" the primary content associated with the home page with non-diet-related content?

What are the ramifications if you stretch this too far?

Can you "dilute" your site too much this way?

Can the pages that aren't related to diet essentially function as standalone webpages (in SEO terms) or will their ranking be degraded because they're associated with the diet-y home/main pages?

Thanks again!

Of all the Wordpress aff sites I've set up over the years, the ones with the narrowest focus have done the best. I think though that this is true primarily because it's easier to have relevant, well thought out cross linking, making the site easier to navigate for users, as well as convincing the SE's that all the content is in some way related, and therefore pushing up your "authority"

My kayak fishing blog, as an example, has less than 4 external incoming links. It's all I talk about there, though. Kayak fishing and products. Period.

Google has ranked me VERY well for some important key terms in that niche. And I think it's the narrow blog focus that creates that impact.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Almost forgot. Once I did a test on this, and added a totally non-related page to a site that shared a PR5 on the homepage down to PR2 on the inner pages.

That page did soak up some PR, but never did well for the key term.

Not a scientific study by any means, but some interesting anecdotal evidence.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    it's easier to have relevant, well thought out cross linking, making the site easier to navigate for users, as well as convincing the SE's that all the content is in some way related, and therefore pushing up your "authority"
    Hi, Kevin, thanks!

It's the SE aspect that I'm thinking about.

The cross-linking stuff . . . I may be overestimating myself (but newbies should do that, right? heh heh) but communication is my strength, so that doesn't worry me so much. Assuming my web designer comes through for me . . .

btw, how are you liking our crisp Rochacha weather?

We're looking at single digits, what, day after tomorrow?

Yup. Fill up the gas tanks....

Going to be a bit brisk Thursday and Friday, hear-tell. My poor little plastic Saturn might disintegrate on the way into the office.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

KirstenM, why not ask your visitors what they want to read about/shop for. Set up a survey and give them a few options.
    Just my cheese-headed thought

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood
    KirstenM, why not ask your visitors what they want to read about/shop for. Set up a survey and give them a few options.
    Just my cheese-headed thought
    Nice! I like it!!!

I guess it really makes a difference if you are thinking about your visitors or the search engines. Of course we all want to find the happy balance, but I've started thinking more about my users instead of trying to chase the ever changing search engine algo's.

To me, it makes perfect sense for a weight loss site to also include pages about fitness equipment and information. Weight loss is benefited by some strength training and toning. It helps me to stay on a diet if I also have been doing some push ups allowing me to feel stronger and healthier as I get the momentum needed to stay on my weight loss goals.

This is the problem with Google and their algo's having so much power on the internet. People are trying to chase Google traffic (which must be done in this environment) at the expense of making good sites.

I'm sure many of us have been stumped when we have a good widget site and we bid on "widget" and yet Google says we are not relevant enough. Then we search for widgets ourselves and find a bunch of lame sites that are allowed to advertise.

I think Google and other search engines will continue to improve. I'm glad we are beyond the days where sites with massive keyword stuffing were the front page face of the internet. Things are a little better, but we have a long way to go.

For the long-term, build sites that make sense and help your visitors accomplish what they want to do.

Thanks much for your response.

My thinking has come around to something similar. Because I'm coming at this as a writer, my strength, presumably, is my ability to deliver high-quality content. So I'm thinking, as long as I offer content my readers find valuable, I can range around a bit. Let my primary content category be the doorway from a SEO perspective; the rest will be gravy. There. Three metaphors in only two sentences

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread