Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Email Account Dilemma
    So I got my DSL connected last night. Crap, it's super fast because I have fiber to the curb. Right now, I have both Time Warner cable and Embarq (formerly Sprint) DSL. All I had to do is unplug the ethernet cable from Time Warner from my router, plug in the ethernet from Embarq, and change from DHCP to PPPoE in my router configuration.

I then setup Thunderbird for my new email account on Embarq. Now, here is my problem. I have Outlook setup with my email account from Time Warner, but I am now no longer able to send/receive email. I assume this is because I changed the domain from nc.rr.com to embarqmail.com in the router.

So, is there any way I can have both the Outlook on Time Warner email and Embarq email working at the same time? In Outlook, it just using the FQDN of smtp-server.nc.rr.com for outgoing and pop-server.nc.rr.com incoming email.

I would like to keep both working so I can work on switching to the new email address on different sites, etc. I should probably check with TW to see if they offer a email forwarding after you leave them, but I doubt it.
    Last edited by Uncle Rico; January 14th, 2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling

I then setup Thunderbird for my new email account on Embarq. Now, here is my problem. I have Outlook setup with my email account from Time Warner, but I am now no longer able to send/receive email. I assume this is because I changed the domain from nc.rr.com to embarqmail.com in the router.
    I never use email account tied to my ISP because of the hassle of switching. I just use my own accounts tied to my domains or gmail.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Check with Time Warner email support on how to configure Outlook Express for getting/sending email with a different DSL provider. The Port settings in th eadvance section must be changed and I'm sure security settings need to be checked off...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    I never use email account tied to my ISP because of the hassle of switching. I just use my own accounts tied to my domains or gmail.
    I learned that lesson the hard way!
    I now pay for a domain(my name) and set it up at GMail. It's accually a GMail account with the 7.5Gig of space and all of the gadgets to go with it. The whole thing costs me $10 a year and I never have to change my email address again.

I'm sorry your having problems setting it up. That's frustrating.

We too are trying to get away from Slime Warner Cable. The $145 a month we send them is getting really old.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread