Why Video Must Die (Short Rant Inside)
    /ranton

Simple.

When I need help doing something, either provide video AND a text version, or just the text.

If I have to watch one more "tutorial video" in order to find out 2 seconds worth of information, I'm changing vendors for whatever item I'm trying learn about.

My time is valuable. Stop wasting it.

/rantoff
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

BIG AMEN on that rant, Kevin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just spent most of 10 minutes about a program watching their video before I learned that it's really not something for me.
    Generate more fake news.

Thank you Kevin. I too have become increasingly annoyed with the growing amount of videos on the web. When I turn to the web for information, I'm looking for quick info, the ability to quickly skim through stuff, the opportunity to use that fantastic piece of technology called the FIND command. Get in, get info, move on - not sit there listening to some geek drone on for five minutes.

News sites especially. If I want to watch the news, I'll sit in front of the tube. Otherwise, each story gets five seconds of my time, not 3 minutes.

Sure it's "cool" to support video, and I think a lot of websites offer video because they want to look more cutting edge. But at least a few of us are annoyed that they are not being mindful of our valuable time, by taking away the ability to "CTRL-F" to what we want.

Hmm, that rant did feel good.

Amen!

The thing is, there are some "how tos" that are better supported by video. E.g. anything that involves making/building something. But the applications are limited to conveying information about manipulating physical objects. When you're teaching something conceptual text is a much more efficient medium.

Especially when the video isn't edited to keep the focus on the content tight. Bleh. I sat through one a couple of weeks ago in which scads of time was spent -- I kid you not -- discussing whether portions of the vid would be kept or deleted later . . .

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I thought I was the only one.

If you are going to try and be "cool" with your vids then at least have a text version because I can read faster than you talk. Also sometimes I'm actually listening to something else so please allow me to multi task.

Headline for the future ...

"Major internet marketing Guru beaten to death with his own video camera."

Why do you need 7 hours of video about how to do AM ... when you can summarize it all in one sentence... 'If you don't do it, no one else will do it for you.'

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I join in the crowd of video-haters.

Whenever I find a video starting up, I leave that site immediately. I use the net for info to AVOID having people drone at me (or worse, yell at me while trying to make it seem like that's their normal speaking voice [ala TV news]). I also second the opinions about video being a time-waster. I don't want to have to wade through a bunch of irrelevant dreck. And I want control over the speed of delivery.

For how-tos, I'll have still pictures and text over video any day.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

On fantasy football sites, I browse through tons of articles and search for specific players, but I rarely watch the videos.

This is a good lesson no matter what niche we are in.

Thees videos are jest made fur the 47 purr sent who kant reed so good.
    http://www.register-herald.com/featu...secondarystory

As per usual, I've found kindred spirits here at ABW.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I was just making some video tutorials for one of my sites members.... ok I have put away the video editor now

Where's my notepad?
    :approval:

Beth aka 1stAngel
    [URL=http://1stangel.co.uk]1stAngel Arts Magazine[/URL]
    [URL=http://galileowasright.com]Galileo Was Right[/URL]

I'm with you 100%, Kevin!

Video does have its uses, but, use it appropriately. Video is ideal for things like how to do the latest dance moves, how to apply cosmetics, proper stance for using whatever sports equipment you might be promoting- stuff like that. Use it when you absolutely need it and otherwise just skip it.

@ 1stAngel: I don't mind the video being there, but don't make it my only option
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Anyone providing a video should have the text transcription anyway just for SEO reasons . But yeah, I agree... sometimes videos are nice but I go the text route every time if I have a choice.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I agree. Videos have their place. But sometimes are very inefficient. And when ONLY videos are offered, I generally leave.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    Anyone providing a video should have the text transcription anyway just for SEO reasons
    I can think of another reason: some people are hard of hearing and have difficulty understanding what is being said in the video.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

There should be always be a choice. While I also find many of the video "tutotrials" to be a waste of time I suppose that some people may find them helpful.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Several times in 2008, I decided not to use a service or software because the only way to find out about it was through a slow loading video.
    They may have been great, but I didn't feel like waiting 10+ minutes for them to download.
    It seems many site are posting uncompressed-for-web video content and they don't realize that not everyone has blazing fast 2 megabyte + bandwidth connections (in fact most people don't)

I have subscribed to some email lists - you know, to get the free info - and I don't mind the vendors sending me emails with sales links etc. BUT these people (marketing experts, apparantly) are just wasting their time when they suggest that I go and watch a video about something.
    I won't be going there - for many of the reasons already listed in this thread.
    (The fact that we can read and search to get information about 10 times faster than listening/watching is at the top of my mind.)

This proliferation of video seems to have happened in the last two years. These days some of the emailers use video as their only way to convey information.
    And then... a lot of the time the video is just a talking head, or less - a voice with some slides, and the slides have WRITTEN WORDS.

Since when is it better, on the net, to make a movie of written words than to just type them?
    (Since about 2007 I suppose.)

Thank you for letting us rant about it on this thread.

I get the feeling that many videos exist for the ego of those who made them in the first place - "look at this it's really cool!".

"Read what I've typed" is less cool and often more difficult to include enough but not too much detail and make it accessible too.

I'm not sure what sort of videos people are talking about here but my own personally most hated are those that show you how to operate software with slow moving cursor arrows and a little text box.

Click on file - arrow moves slowly, 3 second delay
    Select "die you b@stard" - arrow moves slowly, 3 second delay
    Choose the manner of death - arrow moves slowly, 3 second delay
    "Greyed out areas indicate choices not available" - pause for effect
    If you agree with your choice click "yes" - pause for effect
    If you do not agree, click "no" - pause for effect

Assuming I managed to switch my computer on and reach the web page, I think I can just about manage the bleedin' obvious at normal speed.

I think I can just about manage the bleedin' obvious at normal speed.
    Not to de-rail my own thread (doesn't much matter in this case), but this reminds me of ATM machines that tell you:

"We couldn't read your card. Try Again"

and then they leave that screen there for a full 45 seconds.

I can read faster than that, friends.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hairy_hermit
    I have subscribed to some email lists - you know, to get the free info - and I don't mind the vendors sending me emails with sales links etc. BUT these people (marketing experts, apparantly) are just wasting their time when they suggest that I go and watch a video about something.
    I won't be going there - for many of the reasons already listed in this thread.
    (The fact that we can read and search to get information about 10 times faster than listening/watching is at the top of my mind.)
    I can understand if they tell you all about what you want to know and then say "Click here to see a video explanation" and it's obvious that it's the same information, just spoken by someone on a video, then I can agree to that. There's a percentage of people undoubtedly who will be at least curious enough to go watch the video. But "more information at..." is weak.

I like videos, but I am a Visual Person, I learn visually, and have to relate things to something I can see to remember it.

I cannot go to something and read it without having to read it twice to make sure I understood it. I guess I missed something in school, I never was good at comprehending.

I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go around.

When Shawn Collins puts a video on Affiliate Summit's blog, I will listen to it, but if I had to read a blog post, I might not. Of course Shawn keeps his short and sweet and they are informative and usually an update or an answer to a question, not really a tutorial.

Just today I visited a website and 30 seconds in to me reading what was going on a man popped out of nowhere and went into a ramble which seemed forever there was NO off button and he froze my windows so I turned the volume down and went and made another pot of coffee??
    Wear Short Sleeves!!! Support the right to bare arms!

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread