Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Twitter Yourself a Job
    Never thought that Twitter is so well accepted or used...
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123103484826451655.html

ABW Ambassador
    It works in the case because it was a social media job.

I'm still wondering on how Twitter makes money or has plans to.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I'm still wondering on how Twitter makes money or has plans to.
    I am wondering the same thing.

Couldn't they just sell quick ads at the end of every tweet? Surely someone much smarter than me has already thought of this.

ABW Ambassador
    There was something with Adsense but I don't see it now, don't remember if I've ever seen it. I always thought they were just haninging around waiting to be bought up and let the people who bought them figure out how to monetize it. I've seen some people say they would be willing to spend $$$ for extra features, so that might be a route but there are other applications I think that add in features that you can use with Twitter I believe, never tried out any of them myself.

But eventually they need to make some kind of money or they'll be gone.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    There's already magpie, which lets you sell ads on your Twitter. I imagine Twitter will do the same as during the election they ran a political ad stripe at the top of the site. Adding additional features for $ would be wise too.

http://twitter.com/about#money

"How do you make money from Twitter?
    Twitter has many appealing opportunities for generating revenue but we are holding off on implementation for now because we don't want to distract ourselves from the more important work at hand which is to create a compelling service and great user experience for millions of people around the world. While our business model is in a research phase, we spend more money than we make.
    "

and if you want to be the one to figure it out for them:
    http://twitter.jobscore.com/jobs/twi...Cr3AYYaaWP50_m

ABW Ambassador
    "While our business model is in a research phase, we spend more money than we make."

Translated - what I said above, hanging around waiting to be bought up. Google bought Jaiku (similar service) and they're hoping for something similar because if not, they might end up like the "twitter on steriods" Pownce - http://pownce.com/ "Pownce was closed down on December 15, 2008."

I remember talking to somebody else about this and said they needed search (which they now have) and grouping which they don't, I think you can get that thru a third party service or something and I was wondering why don't they improve it. I think it's because they thought somebody would have bought them up already. Grouping because if I got family and friends on Twitter, I would need to get another account because most people on my Twitter are affiliate marketing folks. And I'm sure the family and friends don't want to read my affiliate marketing tweets or twitters or whatever you call it.

So I guess it'll eventually die out.

"There's already magpie, which lets you sell ads on your Twitter. "

I read about that before:

"An ad network for Twitter. Customers sign up & create campaigns which consist of magpie-tweets (i.e. ads). Twitterers allow them to post magpie-tweets among their tweets and get paid for it. You decide how often they twitter magpie-tweets. Once every five tweets is their default but you can choose to have one magpie-tweet per 20 tweets or 1 tweet - 1 magpie-tweet. It depends entirely on you."

Don't think that has much of a future either. Sometimes marketers can be like locusts and go overboard with it.

What I mentioned earlier about reading that some people would pay for upgrades and stuff like that for Twitter. Thinking about it and that would make some money but has a few problems. First, I don't think the Twitter folks are actually interested in improving the product and providing any type of upgrade service and if they did, I still think they would be losing money because most people would still use Twitter as they do today and that would far outweigh any money they would bring in for a paid service.

I would figure if there was a way to make money with it, they would have figured it out by now.

"The Industry Standard has pointed to its lack of revenue as limiting its long-term viability. As of 2008 , the service sold no advertising and produced no revenue. It is rumored that Twitter turned down an offer from Facebook to acquire the company for $500 million in Facebook company stock."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter

I think maybe they'll find someone to sell it to, where they can incorporate Twitter into an existing product. Something like that turned down Facebook offer. Only thing I can think of. This post is way too long, I don't even care this much, I shall sleep now.
    Last edited by Trust; January 15th, 2009 at 02:41 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, just saw this pop up on Twitter, speaking of Jaiku - http://google-code-updates.blogspot....rewell-to.html

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    Never thought that Twitter is so well accepted or used...
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123103484826451655.html
    I've been aggressively looking to relocate to Atlanta for a full-time position and Twitter and Facebook have been extremely useful. When I first sent the message out on Twitter in December, I had an affiliate respond with contact information for a recruiter in Atlanta. On Facebook, I've connected with more recruiters and I can research the people I'm scheduled to interview with before I talk to them.

Atlanta isn't a hotbed of internet marketing activity, but its where I want to live. I've been looking at small to mid sized companies as Director of Marketing but every once in a while, an internet marketing / ecommerce position will pop up.

Twitter and Facebook are integral parts of my job search and they have helped me pick up small internet marketing projects along the way.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread