ABW Ambassador
    Quitting a merchant
    When we quit a merchant, I wish there were a form where we could give the reason why we are quitting which would be sent to the merchant. If a lot of people are quitting for the same reason, I would think the merchant would want this information.
    I had gotten ftp access from a merchant I was going to use, should have looked at the datafeed more closely before requesting access. When I started to work with the datafeed, I discovered that the datafeed had the productID in the wrong field, the first field which is supposed to be the productID was all 1's. The format would not work with the script I am using to create my sites, I tried to edit the script with no luck. I am using this script to automate the process of building my sites as much as possible. I am only using the productID, productName, link, thumbnail and description from the feeds, and assumed that these would be standard using the same fields with all datafeeds. I will make sure to look at the datafeed more closely in the future before requesting ftp access.
    Trying to get ftp access from a merchant with a datafeed I can use is turning out to be more of a chore than I thought. It looks like I may have to apply to several merchants to get ftp access from one of them.

Just send them an email and tell them why your quiting. My guess is thay will not care anyway.

I'm not sure a form is really necessary, it may be more productive to contact the AM before you get to the point of feeling that it's necessary to drop the merchant. It's possible that they may be able to resolve any issues that you've been having in working with them. If you attempt to contact them and they aren't able to resolve the issues then they already know why you're dropping them. If they just ignore your attempt at contact, then they probably won't pay much attention to a form either.

And of course there are also those merchants out there that are so bad that they would just ignore any comments on a form. Sort of like the companies that have a suggestion box on the wall and the trash receptacle on the other side.

Just out of curiosity, did you make any attempt to contact the merchant and inform them of the errors in their datafeed?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Actually, I think the form is a great idea, for the merchant, the affiliate, and the network.

Even if we just had 5 or so radial buttons to choose from. This way, the merchant might have a clue as to why their program is faltering (especially if they get a new AM who can review this data). SAS could be alerted to trends as to why affiliates are bailing on a particular merchant, and affiliates would benefit from all of the above.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

The form is somewhat a good idea, However isnt that what the contact link on the page is for? I have some of the same issues. As a matter of fact, I have applied for FTP access to merchants friday for the 8th or 9th time. I have also contacted the AM's of those same merchants, and when and if they do contact you they give you the "HUH, UH, WHUT, DUH" response and then they tell you that you are in fault. At that point, I usually drop the merchant. I am at the point now where I only trust the merchants who I see in my inbox to inform me of what the merchant is offering. So WAYBAR I feel your pain!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeman727
    I am at the point now where I only trust the merchants who I see in my inbox to inform me of what the merchant is offering. !
    Smart thinking. Will save you tons of grief in the future.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Even if we just had 5 or so radial buttons to choose from. This way, the merchant might have a clue as to why their program is faltering (especially if they get a new AM who can review this data). SAS could be alerted to trends as to why affiliates are bailing on a particular merchant, and affiliates would benefit from all of the above.
    Probably not a bad idea, but the point I was trying to make was that sometimes communications can help to avoid termination.

Just took a look at my outbox and for the last 4 issues I contacted a merchant or AM about 1 was resolved in less than 48 hours, 2 were resolved in less than 24 hours and 1 was resolved in about an hour (thanks Geno).

However, if a form were adopted I would love to see one of the choices be "Slimier than goose$hit".

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Affiliate Manager
    I have to agree that communication is key. As a merchant, it's always good to know what our affiliates are thinking. And if they're having problems, we definitely want to know before it gets to the point of dropping our program.

If you contact a merchant about your issues, and they resolve them, problem solved. If they can't bother to at least communicate with you, it's probably not worth being in their program anyway.

http and a telephoto
    Your issue with the datafeed is not a merchant issue actually, it is a Shareasale processing issue for feeds over a certain size. You will need to attempt to contact the merchant, they may not even know the issue exists. And if it does they may not be able to fix it, other than using one of the custom fields to duplicate their own product numbers. The first product number field is generated and controlled by Shareasale.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Your issue with the datafeed is not a merchant issue actually, it is a Shareasale processing issue for feeds over a certain size. You will need to attempt to contact the merchant, they may not even know the issue exists. And if it does they may not be able to fix it, other than using one of the custom fields to duplicate their own product numbers. The first product number field is generated and controlled by Shareasale.
    I don't think the size of their datafeed should cause the first field to be all 1's. I've seen other datafeeds that are much larger than theirs that have the productId in the first field. They do have the productId in the last field, but it was causing problems with my script. It might be a Shareasale processing issue, but I'm not sure if the size of the datafeed is the issue.

Loxly always has the positive view, but I prefer Leader's take ... what counts is what's in the bank in big amounts.

Assuming a bit of consistent daily traffic:

If I am not paying for the traffic, then I will leave a merchant up for about 90 days.
    If they do not make close a sale ... then I might not drop them, but I will pull their links.

If I am paying for the traffic - no sale in 30 days - so long links. Now I know it may be my fault because my traffic sucks ... but if I am paying, you can bet that some of it comes from relevant keywords on the usual major three suspects.

The more sales the merchant closes the more I promote them ... not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    Loxly always has the positive view, but I prefer Leader's take ... what counts is what's in the bank in big amounts.

Assuming a bit of consistent daily traffic:

If I am not paying for the traffic, then I will leave a merchant up for about 90 days.
    If they do not make close a sale ... then I might not drop them, but I will pull their links.

If I am paying for the traffic - no sale in 30 days - so long links. Now I know it may be my fault because my traffic sucks ... but if I am paying, you can bet that some of it comes from relevant keywords on the usual major three suspects.

The more sales the merchant closes the more I promote them ... not rocket science.
    Didja read the rest of the thread????

-rematt

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by waybar
    I don't think the size of their datafeed should cause the first field to be all 1's. I've seen other datafeeds that are much larger than theirs that have the productId in the first field. They do have the productId in the last field, but it was causing problems with my script. It might be a Shareasale processing issue, but I'm not sure if the size of the datafeed is the issue.
    I think certain merchants are able to have their datafeeds processed differently, but when I was managing a merchant with a large feed that I was told had all 1's in the first column Shareasale tech support told me it was because of the datafeed size and they couldn't change it. When the datafeed was reduced in size they were able to set it to the correct product numbers.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread