Unhappy Tired of Coupon Site Bashing...
    I was reading on the Affiliate Summit blog about the questions that were asked, etc., and someone asked, "Will the negative attitude toward coupon sites, will they be gone soon?"

Excussssse me? What about all the crappy niche sites with 23,000 word paragraphs out there? hmmmm?? Should I assume ALL niche sites are created by boring self exploiting know it alls? Should I take the position that for the most part, by the time I finish reading what was written, the item will have been replaced with a newer model? I don't think so. Some niche sites have value - some do not - just like coupon sites.

To anyone who thinks coupon sites are just an easy click, it's time you reeducated yourselves. It takes time, money, focus and discipline and that's just to run an average one. If anything were a bit crazy for taking it on, but the sites are not without value to shoppers.

At least coupon sites dont bore their visitors with T.M.I. which is the magic to their success - knowing what shoppers are looking for and providing it.

What a terrible question to ask.
    Last edited by leeann; January 19th, 2009 at 01:44 AM.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Do you have a link to that, I'd like to read it.

"Will the negative attitude toward coupon sites, will they be gone soon?"

This is either someone who is extremely nooby or just not that bright. Obviously coupon sites aren't going anywhere since shoppers love them and coupons and promotions have been around for awhile now. Also Google loves them better than sites with just a bunch of product links.
    Last edited by Trust; January 19th, 2009 at 02:31 AM.

Haiko posted it in the OneCause thread -
    http://blog.affiliatesummit.com/200...iate-marketing/
    (look towards the bottom)
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, probably somebody just new -

Will the negative attitude toward coupon sites, will they be gone soon?
    The current economic recession means more people are searching for deals and coupons online.

Merchants complain about coupon sites when a customer stops the buying cycle before the shopping cart to search for a coupon. (That's the merchants fault for having a coupon box and the referring affiliate if they didn't post one up, old, old discussion)

Its a small group of unethical affiliates that make the rest look bad. (yep, there are some bad ones out there and there are good ones out there as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Ah, probably somebody just new -

Will the negative attitude toward coupon sites, will they be gone soon?
    The current economic recession means more people are searching for deals and coupons online.
    Merchants complain about coupon sites when a customer stops the buying cycle before the shopping cart to search for a coupon.
    Its a small group of unethical affiliates that make the rest look bad.
    Yeah, you're probably right. It's late. I'm tired. I should go to sleep.
    leeann

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Merchants complain about coupon sites when a customer stops the buying cycle before the shopping cart to search for a coupon.
    This is coming up more and more. A point I always try and make to merchants (aside from the obvious code box, etc.) is that their coupon Affiliates are effectively closing the deal for them. Merchants pay good money for services that close the deal. So really there is no difference in what is happening here.

There have also been segments on national morning shows educating shoppers on how they can find deals online. There is a growing demographic of shopper who simply won't buy from an online retailer unless they can find some sort of deal from them. So as a retailer you have to be represented on a deal site (or get access to the deal from another sort of Affiliate site) or that shopper just moves on to a competitor.

You're probably an idiot, if you do not check to see if what you want to buy has some discount or coupon available. Coupon site will get more and more popular as the depression deepens ... the game of retail will only be won by the most efficient players. And coupons are one of the things you need to offer to compete.

It's amazing how merchants don't get it ... If you sell a widget for $29 and you have a sale where you mark it down to $19 ... you will sell some for sure, but when you put the price back to $29 ... you have a problem of maintaining the price and making sales.

On the other hand if you have a discount coupon, that offers a $10 discount to 'special people,' those who have the coupon, you never lowered the posted price and once the coupon runs out, you go back to the real price and since only coupon shoppers knew about the deal you didn't cheapen the brand over all.

Coupons will make you more money in the long run than price off sales. Just look at
    Big screen TV ... say the retail price was $1,000 and you have played the discount the
    price game and lowered it to $800 ... it's almost a lead pipe cinch you can't make that $1,000 hold up anymore ... but if you had a coupon for $250 off the price and there were only X number of coupons available ... the guys with the coupons get a deal, the price of the units holds within reason. Both coupon users and merchants win.

The constant everyday a different price thing is not conducive to brand building and consistent sales. Go coupon and win.

Actually that question was asked by Brook Schaaf and answered by Connie, in retrospect the reason obviously was to vindicate the [coupon] channel by saying "a small group of unethical affiliates that make the rest look bad". At the time and until now when I see it in writing and discussed it completely escaped me as to why and how it was brought up but now it's clearly evident.

In another session someone stirred up some stuff by stating something to the effect that "coupon sites are made by lazy affiliates". There were many undertones against coupon sites, which obviously was nothing more than disinformation, as we all know coupon sites are the way to go in these economic times. DUH!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar

Yep I sure did stir it up eh Haiko?

I was the one accusing coupon affiliates of being lazy affiliates baiting that they affect incremental sales and how do true content affiliates who have gone to the trouble of writing about the merchant, who then send the customer to the merchant only for the customer to see at Checkout "enter coupon code here" then goes away to find a coupon thereby depriving the content affiliate of a sale.

The answer was EXACTLY what I wanted on video for the session. That content affiliates should incorporate the coupon code into their content so the customer gets the write up AND the discount.

That should then reduce the animosity between the content and coupon camps.

Sound advice. A content affiliate not offering an existing coupon IS the lazy affiliate because their efforts have gone to waste.

So yes a topical question which was referred back to throughout the session but necessary so as it made people sit up and seriously consider whether what they were doing whether it was content or otherwise brought value to the Brand.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

Cant you just mix coupons with niche content sites

I think the beef merchants have,is that the majority of coupons just provide a link vs building any value through some form of product review

But I disagree, I think the value is found in the coupon, now they get it 50% off

I think some merchants have become too picky and think affiliates owe them a living or something.

Take, AUDIBLE, those guys wont accept you into their program unless EVERY site you have in CJ is working and every site in CJ has privacy policies on the pages.

Someone needs to have a word in the ear of the moron running their program and explain..

Urghh.. sir.. you do know these people work for free until they make a sale, right?, and they dont have to help, right? Now stop being an ass and let them in the program

The problem some of us face is working with merchants who are closed-minded and dead set against coupons, because in their minds, coupons enable the customer to behave badly by seeking coupons before checkout, therefore, undercutting profit. It's maddening trying to argue with them. But as Haiko pointed out, the mainstream media is teaching the world how to shop more efficiently.

Merchants who embrace the way customers shop and keep a mindful eye on their affiliates and how they promote products, will do much better than those in denial.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jupp

Yep I sure did stir it up eh Haiko?
    Which session was that? I'd like to check out that video when it's up as I know it was one I didn't attend.

Different things work for different merchants. Some do very well with affiliates that are coupon sites and or link farms while to others it is poison. Each merchant needs to figure out what works best in their program as each a affiliate needs to decide what merchant converts best for them. This shouldn't be a matter of bashing but rather a matter of the correct fit for the individuals involved.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Quote Originally Posted by John Jupp

The answer was EXACTLY what I wanted on video for the session. That content affiliates should incorporate the coupon code into their content so the customer gets the write up AND the discount.

That should then reduce the animosity between the content and coupon camps.
    Sounds like excellent advice
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

That content affiliates should incorporate the coupon code into their content so the customer gets the write up AND the discount.
    Awww, don't be giving away secrets

On a serious note, maintaining coupon data while creating fresh content DAILY is a challenge; not as easy as seems. Some convert well, others have proved to be duds. Conversion is a funny thing... whether it's coupon, content or price comparison...

I only take issue with user-submitted sites, where data isn't policed (coupon sites, but this also applies to user-submitted content sites)...

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    Which session was that? I'd like to check out that video when it's up as I know it was one I didn't attend.
    Affiliate Marketing In 2009
    Sunday January 11

Moderated by Kristopher B Jones from Pepperjam.

Featured:
    Gary Ackerman (M3 Mobile Marketing)
    Brad Wilson (Bradsdeals.com)
    Linda Woods (PartnerCentric)
    Chris Hedgecock (Zeropaid.com)
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Thanks John, I'll check out the video when it's available. That was a session I was debating on going to, but went to another instead.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread