AdWords Budget Over Runs
    I haven't watched this really closely until the last month or so... Does Google normally surpass a budget by 26% on average? That's been my over run average for 2009.

Or is that big a margin a recent phenomenon....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Do you have it set on daily limits or something else? Run evenly over time or accelerated?

I had monthly budgets a few years ago and the months could be a bit uneven, but in the end it was almost dead on. I have daily budgets in my account now and it never goes over.

We do dailies.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I suppose in general our account has seemed fine because we set our limits pretty high. I am noticing however in one or two of our smaller ad groups we have gone over on some specific days about 20%. Automatic matching is set to off, one group that went over is content network enabled, but another one that went about 15% over is strictly for search.

All I can guess is that perhaps even daily limits are still just trying to set you up for a monthly total. That or it's one of those things where Google is smart enough to rule the world, but if I were to ask a rep I'd be told their system isn't smart enough to shut you down exactly at your limit.

Google typically runs +/- 3% except for campaigns with daily budgets of $15 or less. These have gone over budget by as much as 20% on a daily basis, but because the budgets are so low I just ignore them. Yahoo! on the other hand is typically 20-30% over budget on a daily basis, regardless of the budget amount, so I set my budgets lower to compensate. Microsoft I've given up on, they have no clue as to what a budget is.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

These particular campaigns are for search network only, so it can't be content reporting delays (if there is such a thing).
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Microsoft I've given up on, they have no clue as to what a budget is.
    -rematt
    I see them going 100-300% over every day and have to set caps at 25% of what I want them to be. Google is infinitely better in following limits.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I see them going 100-300% over every day and have to set caps at 25% of what I want them to be. Google is infinitely better in following limits.
    I had to stop using them after they blew an entire months budget in less than 2 days, TWICE!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Guess I'm on the caps badwagon. Things can get away from you very quickly especially when you consider the number of people who search through Google and after all that is the reason we people use AdWords isn't it?
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

If you go to Google AdWords help, it says,
    On any single day, the AdWords system may deliver up to 20% more ads than your daily budget calls for.
    http://adwords.google.com/support/bi...en&answer=6312

It does say though that you won't pay over your max for the entire month. Maybe the ads will slow at the end of the month. However, if you are modifying the daily budgets during the month, I am not sure how the overall budget is calculated.

I have an inquiry into our rep. Will let you all know what they have to say for themselves.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread