Oh Happy Day
    When I got up this morning I couldn't help think of my mother and my father. She died in 1996, he died in 1966. I remember amid all the sorrow of September 11Th thinking that as much as I missed her I was happy she had not lived to see that day and I was glad that my father had not seen that attack first on New York, then on the Pentagon. They loved America and had a certain vision of what America was and of what it could be. They had great hope for America and that day was not one full of hope. Now with the inauguration of Barack Obama I am sorry they are not alive to see this day. I know they not only would have rejoiced, they would see what a triumph this represents for our nation. Mom in her verbose way that I inherited and Dad in his quiet manner that always baffled us. It says we are growing up. It says that the good Doctor King's promise is coming to pass. That the day is dawning where the content of a person's character rather than the color of their skin was how our body politic was passing judgment. What a moment to be alive.

I know that there are people out there who are indignant over the amount of money being spent from public AND private coffers to fund the celebration. I say to them this is a unique landmark and needs to be set apart as such. Besides, if we are going to all have to pull in our collective belts and buck it up for at the very least the next four years can't we at least have this time to rejoice? Not that there won't be times of rejoicing within the next four years but I'm thinking those times will be ones of personal triumphs, community progress, and a growing together that can be expressed without having to make a big ceremony about them.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

ABW Ambassador
    That was nice. And it's cool to know you're watching history unfold right before you eyes.

Affiliate Manager
    Well said, Terri. Regardless of one's party, creed, or color, today is a demonstration for ourselves and the world that we've come a long way, and will continue to go even further.

Extra bonus points that Copland's Appalachian Spring is one of my favorites.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

An absolutely amazing morning!!!

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Terri, my mom died a few years ago. She was a very political-minded person and she would have been over the moon with joy to witness Obama's inauguration and the events leading up to it. My dad is 81 years old and is not well but he has expressed great delight in living to see a person of color -- any color -- be elected president of our country. It's an event that my grandparents would have considered impossible, my parents improbable and my own generation highly unlikely.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I too am very proud of the barrier that has fallen.

However, I will be more proud when none of us defines someone by the color of his skin or religious believes and simply recognizes each of us as equally created by a greater authority who has instilled in each of us tremendous potential.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

During the early 1960s, I remember watching the Civil Rights marchers and the violence against African Americans. I was stunned and amazed.

Then I remember sitting in my U.S. history class as a junior in high school and hearing the announcement, first, that John F. Kennedy was shot, then that he died.

I graduated from high school in 1965, got married in 1967, graduated from college in 1970. In the midst of all that, I saw the sorrow and ensuing violence over the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. I saw the sorrow and ensuing violence when Bobby Kennedy was assassinated.

By the end of the 1960s I, like much of the nation, was numbed by all that had happened. And like most Americans of those days and before, I would not have imagined a time when an African American would be elected president. It wasn't something I or anyone I knew ever debated, because it simply was a "given" that the nature of America and the Universe wasn't like that.

I sat here a couple of hours ago with, yes, tears in my eyes and some gigantic lumps clogging my Old Guy throat -- overwhelmed with the joy that America is so great and that so many Americans "get it" today. I've never been more proud to be an American.
    Generate more fake news.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    My father was a great old self-taught liberal (who quit school at 15 during the great depression), who taught me the "everyman" side of politics (and life). He was from Boston, and his contemporary and hero was John F. Kennedy, and he was devastated, as was I (writerguy - I was in jr. high, but in gym class when the announcement came) on November 22, 1963.

He taught me to read the newspaper every day, to listen to/watch the news on radio and tv, and to stay in tune with current events, which ultimately led to my political science major at UCLA.

The ravages of Parkinson's over the past year+ kept my father from understanding and oh so approving the events of the past year, and he passed away a few days ago, not knowing the watershed event in American and human history that has occurred.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Breaking news - Sen. Ten Kennedy taken from Presidential luncheon on stretcher to ambulance. No details available.

Crap.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Jeez, watching the luncheon on CNN. They said he was still seizing when the paramedics got him and also Byrd was having some issues too. Actually both collapsed.

Congratulations America!

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Breaking news - Sen. Ten Kennedy taken from Presidential luncheon on stretcher to ambulance. No details available.

Crap.
    I'm more surprised he was even able to attend, I know his health has been declining. On the positive side, good for him to make it there, if just for a little while. Hope he's ok.

Both Senators are OK. Ted Kennedy was as they say awake and alert and even managed a call to the new President. Someone from Bryd's staff called to say he was doing fine. Guess as they are in fragile health and they got up at the crack of dawn, hung out in the cold, and the general stress even happy stress, it could and did get to them. But don't count them out...bet Ted will be out of the hospital before the day is out.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Affiliate Manager
    Looks like Byrd was okay all along. Check out near the end of this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/us...kennedy&st=cse

And yes, what an amazing day yesterday was. I'm very proud to be an American.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread