Deciding Factors for You on EPC?
    When your considering a program, do you base your decision to join on their 7 day or 30 day EPC?

And, how high must it be before you join i.e $10 epc?

ABW Ambassador
    Just a reminder BUT the EPC can be manipulated by the merchant or the AM/OPM.

ABW Ambassador
    epc is way down on the list when considering a merchant. Most of the time, I don't even consider the epc.

As Adam pointed out, the epc can be manipulated, hence useless

I never look at merchant EPC when joining a program, I look at their products & how they will fit my site.

The only EPC that I monitor is my own (per merchant) compared to the published average.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I mainly look for a great datafeed with at least one sub-category and well written descriptions.

Then I do some research on the merchant and determine what I think is their strength in that particular niche market. I try to compare apples to apples on products, looking at their pricing structure versus their competitors. If a merchant is way over-priced it only makes it more difficult to convert traffic into sales. If the merchant has truly unique products, that's always a plus.

EPC rarely plays into my decisions. If the EPC is low that could mean a number of things - outdated datafeed, poor or no creatives, lack of good affiliates...If the EPC is really high that could mean I may have too much competition with that merchant - and as Adam stated (which I did NOT know), EPC can be adjusted to look higher.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    I never look at merchant EPC when joining a program, I look at their products & how they will fit my site.

The only EPC that I monitor is my own (per merchant) compared to the published average.
    I would think that would be a little pointless.

Your in it to make money, if no money is being made on those products why would you promote an advertiser?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    Just a reminder BUT the EPC can be manipulated by the merchant or the AM/OPM.
    Is that an assumption or can you verify that from experience of being a merchant?

ABW Ambassador
    a merchant with a zero epc could just be a new merchant, or they just haven't got enough affiliates promoting them. They could very well be very profitable for you

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    I mainly look for a great datafeed with at least one sub-category and well written descriptions.

Then I do some research on the merchant and determine what I think is their strength in that particular niche market. I try to compare apples to apples on products, looking at their pricing structure versus their competitors. If a merchant is way over-priced it only makes it more difficult to convert traffic into sales. If the merchant has truly unique products, that's always a plus.

EPC rarely plays into my decisions. If the EPC is low that could mean a number of things - outdated datafeed, poor or no creatives, lack of good affiliates...If the EPC is really high that could mean I may have too much competition with that merchant - and as Adam stated (which I did NOT know), EPC can be adjusted to look higher.
    I thought EPC was handled by the network, i.e shareasale. I couldnt imagine them doing such things.

Are you suggesting that some merchants would go to all the trouble of buying their own products through affiliate links to drive up the EPC?

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    a merchant with a zero epc could just be a new merchant, or they just haven't got enough affiliates promoting them. They could very well be very profitable for you
    Yes but without an EPC to guage how other affiliates are doing. You are taking quite a risk putting them on your website, when you could select a merchant who has EPC.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by easylife
    Yes but without an EPC to guage how other affiliates are doing. You are taking quite a risk putting them on your website, when you could select a merchant who has EPC.

epc is just a tool. There are many factors used to determine a merchant worthiness.

ABW Ambassador
    With CJ, if they're new they have NEW next to them which I like. At other places if I see a $0 EPC, I won't touch them.

Other than that, with a low EPC, you can just take a look at the site and most of the time can see why.

I take a look at it but in the end it's your own EPC that matters, not everybody else's. But I will say, if I see a decent EPC with a merchant, I figure I can do pretty good with them.

15 years and counting
    I thought EPC was handled by the network, i.e shareasale. I couldnt imagine them doing such things.

Are you suggesting that some merchants would go to all the trouble of buying their own products through affiliate links to drive up the EPC?
    A few new merchants are doing it at the beginning of their programs to don't show EPC=0. If you look at other indicators it's pretty obvious.
    If it's to test the tracking, I don't mind. They just can't do it for ever.

I never said or suggested that a network, ie SAS would manipulate EPC or suggest that a merchant would go through the trouble of buying their own products...

I said...

...If the EPC is really high that could mean I may have too much competition with that merchant - and as Adam stated (which I did NOT know), EPC can be adjusted to look higher.
    ~ Denis

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    With CJ, if they're new they have NEW next to them which I like. At other places if I see a $0 EPC, I won't touch them.

Other than that, with a low EPC, you can just take a look at the site and most of the time can see why.

I take a look at it but in the end it's your own EPC that matters, not everybody else's. But I will say, if I see a decent EPC with a merchant, I figure I can do pretty good with them.
    Thats how i do it aswell Trust

I never said or suggested that a network, ie SAS would manipulate EPC or suggest that a merchant would go through the trouble of buying their own products...

I said...

~ Denis
    Thanks for clarifying that Denis, and sorry if I worded it wrong.

Again, I personally do research on the merchants first before promoting them.

Then I do some research on the merchant and determine what I think is their strength in that particular niche market. I try to compare apples to apples on products, looking at their pricing structure versus their competitors. If a merchant is way over-priced it only makes it more difficult to convert traffic into sales. If the merchant has truly unique products, that's always a plus...
    ~ Denis

I would think that would be a little pointless... if no money is being made on those products why would you promote an advertiser?
    You have missed the point... it's all about how well YOUR sites convert.

When I launched my first site, traffic was very high, conversion was very low. As I figured out what works (for me), performance improved. My conversion rate is now high, but number of clicks are much lower. Which means I send VERY targeted traffic to my merchants.

I know for a fact that my numbers are skewing the EPC of one merchant in particular, bringing up the average - my site has a 50% conversion rate for them, 7 day EPC $250, published EPC (average) is $45

Can everyone achieve this with them? No.

Are there low EPC merchants out there for the picking? Absolutely.

How do you know that it was only 5 big-sale clicks that created that high number..? You don't.

If the product fits your niche, you can make it work. I show readers products that fit my site, that's what works for me.

Thanks for clarifying that Denis, and sorry if I worded it wrong.
    NP, always hard to gauge "tone" in a post - I'm still smiling

~ Denis

I'm with teezone 100% on this. EPC is an interesting number. It is no way to tell how you will do with any given merchant on any given site. That depends on you, the merchant, your site, their site, the network, your traffic and too many other factors to generalize. With one merchant I got very lucky and my first 2 clicks were very nice sales. I didn't go look to see what that did to their EPC, but it sent mine into the ridiculous zone, something like $7500 EPC. It is not a defining number, it is an historic statistic of a current set of conditions.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread