2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Tue December 16, 2003 01:29 PM ET

By Evelyn Leopold
    UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Iraq's foreign minister accused the United Nations on Tuesday of failing his country by leaving Saddam Hussein in power for decades and appealed to the world body to assume a leading role in Baghdad immediately.

In an address to the U.N. Security Council, Hoshyar Zebari, foreign minister of Iraq's Governing Council, noted that U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan was opening offices in Nicosia, Cyprus, and Amman, Jordan, for international staff, who would commute to Baghdad.

"Your help and expertise cannot be effectively delivered from Cyprus or Amman," Zebari said. Annan pulled out foreign staff after the Aug. 19 bombing of U.N. offices in Baghdad that cost 22 lives.

But Annan said he needed a clearer picture of U.N. tasks and an indication that security had improved before reopening an office in Baghdad.

"I need to weigh the degree of risk that the United Nations is being asked to accept against the substance of the role we are being asked to fulfill," Annan said. "I therefore need to know how responsibilities will be allocated and who will be taking what decisions."

Zebari said the United Nations had failed to help rescue Iraq from "a murderous tyranny" that lasted more than 35 years and "today we are unearthing thousands of victims in horrifying testament to that failure."

"The United Nations must not fail the Iraqi people again," Zebari said. Until Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in 1990, the United States also was a supporter of Saddam's government.

Zebari called the United Nations "the key forum of collective international action to help us achieve our goals of restructuring and democratizing our country."

He said Iraqis were "ready and willing to help provide whatever security is required."

And he accused the 15-member Security Council of being divided "between those who wanted to appease Saddam Hussein and those who wanted to hold him accountable" and said they should overcome the deep divisions over the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

Appealing for unity, Zebari said, "Settling scores with the United States should not be at the cost of helping to bring stability to the Iraqi people." ..... http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=4002693

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Sorry have to hope for this post to go away or be yanked by a mod or someone
    While I agree the packsters post was valid because it was MAJOR news, this forum had been out of bounds for the other above political crapola hadn't it

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> this forum had been out of bounds for the other above political crapola hadn't it
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    No.

You are wishing that but wishing it does not make it so.

Many of us like things the way they are. Why should things change to suit you?

Haiko has now hit upon the right balance as show in the recent thread which he handled very well.

EcomCity.com I found your post interesting and thought provoking.

I don't know about the UN. I would think they were the appropriate body to address such issues and bring them to the world stage, so he has a valid point. The US should take care of the US but act in conjunction with other countries to address such wrongs. Perhaps, there needs to be major changes and improvements in the UN.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    I really wish that this bullshit was put to an end. Enough of these political posts

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    Why don't you and Mike just open your own political forum? Sept 11, Saddam being captured is major news, this is just everyday political stuff. Haiko already said he didn't want this stuff a few times, i think he said it when he closed down the Current Events forum and all these political threads end up being closed, even the Saddam being captured is now closed. Pay attention

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    I thought it was great that Haiko kept the other thread open. But then a mod went and closed it.

The funniest thing is the people that always show up and say they wish they didn't have to read these political threads anymore. (they thought there was going to be something about affiliate marketing in a thread with that title?).

Here are the real facts.

Political posting is what keeps this place interesting to many people.

Political posting has nothing to do with why abw is here.

If it weren't for the fighting caused along with a few slanderous remarks and bigotry the political posts wouldn't be any sort of issue.

ABW Ambassador
    "If it weren't for the fighting caused along with a few slanderous remarks and bigotry the political posts wouldn't be any sort of issue."

Fact is they always lead that way and end up being closed. I don't care either way, but if Haiko wants it just UNLOCK THE CURRENT EVENTS FORUM, very simple solution.

Yes it does it always does.

Enough is enough with the fights, lets all vote and ask Haiko to decide once and for all. I started a poll PLEASE VOTE Everyone.

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...025#9446023025

SandraR

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    U.S.-appointed U.N. ambassador.

Wasn't he one of the rent-a-crowd flown in from the USA to hoorah at the Saddam statue demolishment, that the Whitehouse PR people were hoping would be as meaningful as the Berlin Wall sledgehammer party?

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You are wishing that but wishing it does not make it so.

Many of us like things the way they are. Why should things change to suit you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me for sure and no doubt many others wishing it was taken to a proper place. No problems with your thoughts and beliefs, just that this IS NOT the type of forum for it. Its an important issue, just not for here

Looks at header
    Shows ABW as an affiliate marketing forum
    Maybe we can change it so the half dozen people who constantly stir this shit up and discuss it in an affiliate marketing forum can justify it

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

ABW Ambassador
    Amazing.

The people that do not want politics are in the political thread cussing and stirring things up. AGAIN!

The only cussing in here was NOT done by those talking politics. It was by those objecting to political talk (just came here to stir things up).

The only disagreement and arguing in this thread was started by those who are objecting to political discussions.

ABW Ambassador
    Interesting post.
    I like reading factual posts even if they are political (for those who are against this - the title was very clear so you don't have to read it....)

This is an Iraqui speaking the bare truth of the situation he finds his 45 million countrymen facing. He's telling the UN to get off it's two faced ways and act upon his countries pleas, while they access the real damage caused by Saddam's regime. The UN has refuse to act, since inception, as the collective world's voice to take any real action to stop the murdering of MILLIONS by dictorial thugs.

Similar pleas went out to save the 5 million slaughtered after the US withdrew from Viet Nam by the Pal Pot regime. Same UN stonewalling in Afganistan, Somelia, Balkins and attrocities by multiple mass murdering despots in Africa. The UN only sends an emmissary, body bags and some paper work sanctions, that 35 years later might get some legal action like in Cambodia right now.

His pleas are sincere begging for united UN help, even if it means aid workers and staff face the same daily dangers the common folk of Iraq face every day they aren't a democracy. His neighbors only send bombs and militants to kill his people. The USA, Brits and collition forces are attacked 24/7 as are the Iraqi police and security forces.

He's begging the UN to wake up and with collective action, not unilateral action, to stem the dark forces of Islam threatening to destroy their one time opportunity to join the world community. Bet he'd volunteer his off duty time to guard a UN building, if the UN whimps would just come back to complete the process! If the USA cuts and runs the resulting bloodbath and civil war would forever curse the ME. This has nothing to do with GWB or Americans...it's a plea from Iraquis.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    I think Eddie George is the most overrated running back ever. So he won the heismann, so what. He's never averaged over 4.0 yards a carry, i think its something like 3.7 career average. So he can block, then make him a fullback, cause he sure can't run. The average for the league is 4.2. You can pay somebody the minimum and get that kind of production. Overrated.

That's certainly not off topic. It's all about who's got the balls!

Mike & Charlie ...

ABW Ambassador
    He sucks, people just bought into the hype that he's a good running back. Win Heismann, do a bunch of commercials showing how he works out and have a 3.7 career rushing average. All hype. Eddie can't run. 3.2 this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=3505

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    Since when a President of the USA needed a puppet to say what he wants?

carneol

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread