...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    What constitutes a "Super Affiliate"
    Just for kicks what makes an affiliate a "Super Affiliate"?

~ Denis
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

The ability to fly........ >.>
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    The ability to fly........ >.>
    LOL - I have a cape, but can't fly...

ABW Ambassador
    Please consider the sources but this is a least up to date.
    http://www.shoemoney.com/2009/01/02/...filiate-again/

Man, that was as clear as mud...lol

Then they went and through in "Über Affiliates"...

ABW Ambassador
    $10,000 a month/$100,000 a year. The link Adam had, some mentioned that as well.

I get that from old threads at ABW and some other things. Like to be a CJ Performer, I think you have to earn $10,000 a month for at least 3 months straight. Maybe you make a $100 a month at CJ and they don't think you're super but you could be making $20,000 a month with some indy nobody knows about.

We used to have some old threads here when somebody broke the $10,000 a month threshold. That was a special deal.

But in the end it just all eh. If you feel Super, I guess you're Super. If you're the #1 performing affiliate for a merchant regardless of how much that is, you're probably Super to them. For a network it could be Performer numbers. For yourself it could be anything. Let's say $10,000 a month but then there are factors. Like what if you spent $9,900 to make $10,000 compared to somebody spending $0 to make that much. Or you might have a gang of kids with wives in different states so that $10,000 might not go as far.

So, I don't know

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    If I visit affiliate sites and see our links in decent positions, we call them super affiliates! If they have never activated links, we call them collect.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence
    LOL - I have a cape, but can't fly...
    Hey, I don't have a cape, but I do fly - an airplane that is. (http://TakeoffsAreOptional.com)

Income wise I may fit that special "income level" definition - but I certainly don't feel any different than I did when I was only making a couple hundred a month. Now I can just buy more toys (see above link).

However, if you look at CJ - I am now a zero-bar affiliate, a NON-performer. LOL I have decided to stop taking time to check on merchants and whether or not they have parasites; so now I am only using clean networks like SAS, Buy.at and AvantLink. But my main income source is still three indies that I have been working with for nine years, seven years and six years respectively.

I would not hang a dollar amount or a "performance bar" set on an affiliate to call them Super. Keep in mind that a super performer at CJ - making that 10K per month in sales - may also be spending close to 10K in advertising and expenses - and really earning very little.

I would like to think a super affiliate is better defined by their ability to earn their living at this business and to do so in an ethical manner. Quitting my "day j*b" was the target milestone for me.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I don't like the idea of using income as a gauge. It just projects the image that the affiliate industry is a way to make lots of money, so it attracts all sorts of individuals with very questionable tactics. I think it's much more important to provide a service that saves people time or money time and time again. If you've built a brand that means something and has an active community you're super in my book.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Many affiliate managers do not classify a super affiliate by a dollar level. If you are able to send quality traffic and customers then you are already ahead of the game.

April Weber
    Clickbooth Affiliate Strategist

I define a super affiliate in terms of 3 characteristics: (i) maturity (they are able, hence fully equipped to demonstrate top-notch performance; and confident or do not need much additional encouragement due to the high level of their psychological maturity), (ii) potential, and (iii) income (it is still a good indicator, though not the only one).

Geno

super affiliate from what i read here is an Affiliate who does big numbers for a network and when i see the shoemoney link all those network reps and "super affiliates" say big $$. As a network i can say there is a little more to it and the thing that is missing is their ability to refer other affiliates. I think that is the big thing - look at shoemoney and zac johnson both mentioned in this thread. They produce huge volume for networks through their sub affiliates. So i would define a super affiliate as one who can do big numbers but more importantly has a loyal network of subs that they can refer to a network who will also do good $$ that makes the source a super affiliate and makes them a ton of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    I define a super affiliate in terms of 3 characteristics: (i) maturity (they are able, hence fully equipped to demonstrate top-notch performance; and confident or do not need much additional encouragement due to the high level of their psychological maturity), (ii) potential, and (iii) income (it is still a good indicator, though not the only one). Geno
    I also consider grooming, hygiene, language skills and fashion. In my experience there IS a correlation between these traits and affiliate performance / quality. For instance: affiliates who don't bathe daily are generally not "clean" affiliates. They are prone to black hat tendancies. (little known fact, but I master at the little known)

If they don't brush their teeth at least twice a day (I recommend 4 times and build in incentives for those who comply) I surmise that they have a dirty mouth.

If they don't shave regularly and have facial hair, I KNOW they are hiding something. Especially female affiliates.

If they use terms like "anyways" instead of "anyway" or they say "Alls" I wanted" instead of "All" I wanted, I reject them pending completion of a grammar class at an approved adult extension facility, at which time they can re-apply.

If they wear old cargo pants shorts and t-shirts to affiliate gatherings, I use a little known feature in SaS that allows me to assign an "auto reject" to identified affs. Or if they wear white after Labor Day, it's an auto shit-can for their app.

To date, I have found only three affiliates who meet these basic "Super Affiliate" criteria, so I run pretty lean, but we all communicate well and they look great!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    You are a Super Affiliate when you deem yourself one.

If you think you are reaching your potential you are Super enough. Don't worry what other people think or do.

The bottom line is to do all you can do and deem yourself successful.

We qualify as a Super Affiliate in terms on income I believe but we are no where near where I want to be so I definitely don't consider us Super at this point...but we will be : )
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

@ Alan Hamilton: LOL!

ABW Ambassador
    The shoemoney post is confusing - some say $10,000 / mo and one person says $100,000 / mo - WOW, I didn't know anyone was doing $100,000 per mo!

Alan, your comments are too funny!

For me, $5,000 per month in profit would make me a super affiliate because I would be living my dream job and making more money than I could in the real world.

I'm sure all affiliate managers have different standards for what a super affiliate is. If you get the attention of an affiliate manager along with special rates and heads up on private deals, then they consider you a super affiliate no matter what your earning levels are.

I'm not super yet, but I'm determined to get there!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    I also consider grooming, hygiene, language skills and fashion. In my experience there IS a correlation between these traits and affiliate performance / quality. For instance: affiliates who don't bathe daily are generally not "clean" affiliates. They are prone to black hat tendancies. (little known fact, but I master at the little known)

If they don't brush their teeth at least twice a day (I recommend 4 times and build in incentives for those who comply) I surmise that they have a dirty mouth.

If they don't shave regularly and have facial hair, I KNOW they are hiding something. Especially female affiliates.

If they use terms like "anyways" instead of "anyway" or they say "Alls" I wanted" instead of "All" I wanted, I reject them pending completion of a grammar class at an approved adult extension facility, at which time they can re-apply.

If they wear old cargo pants shorts and t-shirts to affiliate gatherings, I use a little known feature in SaS that allows me to assign an "auto reject" to identified affs. Or if they wear white after Labor Day, it's an auto shit-can for their app.

To date, I have found only three affiliates who meet these basic "Super Affiliate" criteria, so I run pretty lean, but we all communicate well and they look great!!
    LMAO When is your "Book of AM Humor" coming out?

Wel sur, I'm of to shavin'... as you can sea in my pikchur I be very hairy....

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr_Sacc
    The shoemoney post is confusing - some say $10,000 / mo and one person says $100,000 / mo - WOW, I didn't know anyone was doing $100,000 per mo!

Alan, your comments are too funny!
    There are affiliates in our programs that earn over $100K per month, there are many of those that are right here on ABW and you see them posting.
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Gottlieb
    You are a Super Affiliate when you deem yourself one.
    That's about as true a statement as you can get. Most super-affiliates are self-labeled.

Aside from threads like this, the only times you really hear the term tossed around is when someone is trying to talk a client into making a special deal.

"Hey Eathan, you ever heard of this guy? Supposed to be a genius marketer, super-affiliate with 40,000 sub-affiliates he can bring on board if we..."

"Nope, never heard of him. Did you mention we don't sell e-books?"

Everyone I've ever worked with who fit the definitions pretty much bypassed any labels and went straight to first name basis...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Good thing affiliate managers don't accept or reject based on web cam interviews.
    Last edited by OICUAM2; January 23rd, 2009 at 04:26 PM.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    If they wear old cargo pants shorts and t-shirts to affiliate gatherings, I use a little known feature in SaS that allows me to assign an "auto reject" to identified affs.
    Hmmmmmm.

:-)

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    How do most super affiliates achieve their status?
    Some lie about their income, poach domain name traffic, use adware and worse.

Others, that are completely legit, do all sorts of legit activities to get and stay there.

If you thought defining the term "super affiliate" itself was tough, try to put them all in a single category of tactics used...

I suggest you pay very little attention to what others claim they can do, and how they claim to do it... if you were making a lot of money doing something, it's unlikely you'd go around telling everyone (that you compete with) the details.

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    The problem with this model is that most of their efforts are one and done type efforts with very little long-term value being built.
    Another relevant problem... when we assume, we make an a$$ out of u and me.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    To me anyone making a living at affiliate marketing is a super affiliate. Especially if they can afford to go to conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Some lie about their income, poach domain name traffic, use adware and worse.

Others, that are completely legit, do all sorts of legit activities to get and stay there.

If you thought defining the term "super affiliate" itself was tough, try to put them all in a single category of tactics used...if you were making a lot of money doing something, it's unlikely you'd go around telling everyone (that you compete with) the details.
    Your entire post is right on Donuts, but your opening remark hits reality between the eyes.

Most people do lie about their true income, that's just high school human nature. Some grow out of the "false status stage" as they mature. Of course, the reality is that what someone makes is really no one else's business. Those who actually have it don't talk about what they make. They just enjoy their lives and let others worry about being someone.

That is why I think the criteria I outlined in my first post on this makes such sound business sense!!
    Last edited by Alan Hamilton; January 24th, 2009 at 06:50 AM.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread