Affiliate Manager
    Datafeed download on SAS
    I'm starting to get a few more requests for FTP access. So I'm starting to pay more attention to who's downloading the datafeed. It turns out no one's downloading it via FTP, they're all downloading it "Via Website".

Can anyone explain what "Via Website" means?

Also, am I correct in assuming that FTP access is only needed for automated and/or faster access to the datafeed? I just want to be sure so that if people ask for FTP access, I can see if they really need it, or if they can just download via website.

http and a telephoto
    There is a link where affiliates that don't require automated access can download your datafeed from their Shareasale backend. I personally won't deny an affiliate ftp access just because the web downloads are available, I would assume that the affiliate needs to have ftp access for whatever their own reasons are. Automated process, easier to access large feeds are just a couple reasons.

Web access used to be limited to 1000 rows, requiring multiple pages to be downloaded, that has changed but not all affiliates may realize that.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Using FTP from a network server to a web-host server is many times faster than downloading a feed to a computer, connecting to the web host, and uploading it to the host server. Larger feeds will often time-out on download or be incomplete when manually downloading via the web.

The automation Loxly mention is also great, even if we don't have access to the internet for any reason like vacation, conferences/expos., etc. product info will be as current as possible.

ABW Ambassador
    i wish they could offer xml and/or csv download via http request (i am not sure if i am calling it correct) in a similar way the european networks like webgains, buy.at and zanox do giving you the option to download it the way you wanted it -even what kind of compression zip or gzip you want-

i dont understand why on the other side of the atlantic they "protect" so much this valuable affiliate resource....

Ps shareasale offers an xml download but in order to get access you have to become a so called "premier member/affiliate" and they dont accept anymore yet...

Ps1 i am not taking on SAS cause i know cj and ls are worse when it comes to this issue... but someone has to make a good start and "make" others to follow... especially when it comes to xml/live webservices of datafeeds and reports

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for all the replies. It makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I personally won't deny an affiliate ftp access just because the web downloads are available, I would assume that the affiliate needs to have ftp access for whatever their own reasons are.
    I have been taking the same approach, assuming that if they ask for it, they must have good reason. Good to know others are doing the same.

SAS has no "premier member/affiliate" status with access to XML datafeed downloads. You (any SAS affiliate) can subscribe to various xml feeds like merchants offline list, but they aren't datafeeds. Any affiliate on SAS can download their datafeeds manually (csv zip file) or (IF the merchant approves) via ftp if you set it up from your server.
    Information about datafeeds is right there where you download them in the Get Links section.

ABW Ambassador
    on your affiliate control panel from Get Links --> Datafeeds

you will get the following information note

===quote===
    The following merchants have product data downloads and or product datafeeds available. From this page, you can access the data downloads, or join those programs with databases. If you are a Premier member, you can access a real time .XML datafeed for these merchants by request to shareasale@shareasale.com
    ===unquote===

i have requested to become a "premier member" but the "gates" are closed/dont accept for the time being

@KGP -Must be something they were thinking of doing and never got around to. I access the datafeeds on a merchant by merchant basis and have never seen that screen but I know that many have requested XML datafeeds and they aren't available - for anyone. You weren't left out. There aren't any Premier Members at SAS, although I have seen the links to sign up for Premier Membership - it just doesn't exist at this time. There are a few threads here on that subject.
    Last edited by 2busy; January 24th, 2009 at 06:59 PM. Reason: re: Premier Members

ABW Ambassador
    well the whole issue for me is not "being left out" but as i mentioned earlier on its that still over the atlantic affiliate networks like SaS are now well behind the european ones -especially the UK ones- when it comes to this subject.

also i am not taking on SaS i am too, one of the many that believe is one of the best networks in US but still i am not going to stand on this "one of the best" i am going to critisize and make suggestions as its on my interest -and i believe on the networks interest- and will benefit both parties.

most of the sites i run use datafeeds...with UK networks i have no issues but with SaS i believe i am lagging and cannot move forward...

and also i am not taking on you as well...just pointed on you what i was talking about... i had an email communication with SaS stuff and they told me that they no longer accept "premier members'

plz let me know if i can clarify it better ;-)

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread