Rearranging doesn't save
    I've been having a problem on and off lately. When I rearrange products in a shop, sometimes they don't seem to save and sometimes they do. When they don't save, I rearrange some products even more, click customize and they products are not rearranged at all. I tried changing the customization look, I tried putting the html in my page and looking at it, but the products are still the same as before I rearranged them. Any ideas?

That's very strange, I had been rearranging and checking the rearrangement in the customize tab, just now about the 10th time I rearranged, it saved. Glitch I guess.

Whenever you are rearranging the products the browser is sending off requests behind the seens to update the stored positions. What it sounds like is some of the requests backed up for some reason, or were taking a long time to complete, so even though you were looking at the customize tab, the request to save the positions was still working on it, and eventually things caught up.

I haven't really seen this happen before, so if you continue to see it happen let us know.

This happens often for me.. but I assumed it was a cache or queuing problem. As I always have something else to do I return later and find the updates did indeed take

It really is a pain in the butt tho... I have gone off on other tasks and then not returned to finish up the Popshops revisions.. I neglected to put it back on my todo list. That happened with Honey Bean Coffee - could not get the products to appear in my shop so I went off on another task. Forgot all about Honey Bean.... this thread just reminded me I need to get back to do that
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

I've had this happen occasionally too, but usually if I go back to my list of shops in the dashboard, then go to the shop in question again, the proper products and order is then showing.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Dan, is this because Pop Shop servers are just too SLOW on this as well as loading any and all pages on the P.S. site?

This happens to me (rearranging products not taking) regularly as well as other changes not taking.

I think Pop Shops needs to get more high powered servers to accomodate their customer base. Too many issues seem to be caused by lack of power over there.

C'mon ... don't lose your edge to cheapness Pop Shops!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Rexanne, my good friend...cheap?

A little background. This does not have anything to do with the speed of PopShops servers. We have a dedicated server system that is constantly being monitored by our ops team. It is slick, stable, and redundant.

The issues you run into come from a few areas:

1) Sometimes DSL or broadband has consistency issues (slow downs, etc). That affects the JavaScript in shopbuilder. It is on our list of priorities to fix.
    2) Our customers loading too many images on the page (the images are hosted by MERCHANT servers and many are huge). That will weigh down the page that have been published. Big time.
    3) Now that we have so many merchants we are working on a merchant organization page so that shopbuilder does not have to load all merchants everytime popshops is loaded. That will help.

Stability and reliability are first and foremost in our list of priorities. If you'll recall the difference between 2007 and 2008 we had almost 100% uptime for this recent holiday. All of that is because of the massive scaling we did.

We are listening and reacting. It's just not as simple as you may think.

Jessie
    Jessie Jones
    Create your custom affiliate store with PopShops.
    General support: support [at] popshops.com | Merchant requests: merchants [at] popshops.com
    (Include your popshops login, your shop name, and the URL or merchant you have an issue with.)

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Jesse,

I'm happy t know that your servers *should* be working as ell as you say, however, just loading the initial PS login page takes a long time, more so than most other sites and certainly more so than any other affiliate based site.

I do understand the images being served by merchants issue but would still love to see something doen about the loaad time on any page on Pop SHops, not just MY shops with numerous and various merchant images.

I would be working in Pop SHops 24/7 if it wasn't so frustrating and took so long to get logged in or switch back and forth between the page I'm working on and the dashboard. Getting to the dashboard seems to be the most difficult and slowest.

I don't have a clue about servers and/or tech issues, just know what is slow, what is fast and what is *way too slow* and frustrating.

AS I've said before, if I didn't care, I wouldn't bother mouthing off. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Rexanne,

I agree that going back to the dashboard sometimes takes forever so what I do is sort by shop (because I usually work on one site at a time) and then use my browser's back button instead of the dashboard link. I continue to scroll down and keep the shop I'm working on at the top of the page so I always know where I am.

Then once in a while I will hit "dashboard" again so that the numbers (of inactives) updates. This way I'm not waiting every single time I switch between shops.

It's much faster and I'm a very impatient person.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

ABW Ambassador
    I feel your pain, Rexanne. I too really wish Popshops login page would load faster(at least for enterprise or higher account users). Switching shops or refreshing dashboard are a true pain in the axx.

My hope is on the up coming(sooner or later?) "folders" funtion. That might make the editing work a little faster.

And yes, I had experiences with the "shop rearranging won't save" problem too.

I'm curious about the javascript slowdown due to inconsistent broadband connections. I usually start to load popshops then pop back to something else I'm working on, then back to popshops to see if it is loaded. When popshops is loading it really slows down my computer. So it makes sense that javascript is tying up the cpu trying to sort things out through an inconsistent connection.

So I can completely believe that it is not a server issue, but something in the javascript.

Is it dropped packets? Changing speeds? I know I have a weak signal at my modem due to an old cable splitter under my house... been putting off crawling under there.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread