Cheated out of commission
    I just recently put my site up and I've had family members buy stuff off of my site and sign up for registration on my site and I still have not yet seen any commisssion. I called and the guy said the order form probably wasn't track he said on some computers they dont allow tracking. So I ask them about other traffic I received how do I know if this hasn't happen before, he said that it happens three percent of the time and it's no way for them to prevent it. Has anyone had these problems and is CJ a scam cause it sounds like some bogus stuff he was talking about.

15 years and counting
    It's happening everyday. Affiliate tracking on Internet is far from perfect. And if only 3% of affiliate sales were not tracked everybody would be very happy. Unfortunately, it's much worse than that for a lot of reasons. Welcome.

So what percentage of sales would you say is not track and how often do you thinks it happens to you

15 years and counting
    With networks like CJ or LinkShare I believe up to 30% of my sales are not reported.
    how often do you thinks it happens to you
    Everyday, as long as you have sales everyday, you can be sure some are not reported.

So what tools did you use to get enough traffic to your site where you don't care about losing out on 30 percent of your sales.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ccfifer
    So what percentage of sales would you say is not track and how often do you thinks it happens to you
    I think it's in the single digits. Every test purchase I've ever done has tracked. I could be lucky on that one, I know others have done test purchases and sometimes they don't track. And I know sometimes there are tracking or reporting issues. I don't think it's network wide or the boards would be lit up but I think it's more merchant specific, meaning sometimes merchants have issues. Sometimes they tell us about it, other times they don't. The only way to know for sure is test purchases, hence the Test Purchase forum here. But still think it's in the single digits.

As far as your family member purchases, if you have a chance, can you post them here - http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Others might be seeing the same thing. Have to make note of things like this so we can compare notes.

Question
    you haven't mentioned if you saw clicks in your network stats or not . . .

Yes I did have clicks and I have a program called traffic facts and my clicks never match up that close with CJ.

15 years and counting
    I had several merchants changing their tracking from indy to LS or CJ then back to indy. Each time my income increased around 30% after leaving the network, more or less depending of the merchant and the vertical but always, way above a single digit.
    Also, many times, I heard network reps telling the merchants complaining about the network fees that around 30% of their affiliates sales are not commissionable.
    Now, it's just my experience.
    I'll like each merchant on this board to tell us the truth about their own percentage.

ABW Ambassador
    "Also, many times, I heard network reps telling the merchants complaining about the network fees that around 30% of their affiliates sales are not commissionable."

Can you elaborate specifically on that one. Where did you hear that at? And we're talking about percentage of sales not tracking, I can't imagine a network rep telling anybody that.

15 years and counting
    Don't you have any merchant or network friends? Let them answer this question.
    Some AM may have the figures, too.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, and I've never heard of anything like that. And I was asking you since you posted that. I wanted you to elaborate on it with specifics and you didn't. I don't think network folk are going around telling people that 30% of the sales aren't tracking. I think it's just one of those, let's pull a number out of the air type of deals that never will be backed up. So nevermind, it's probably near 90% anyway.

Trust ... the problem is about 10% if you go by TRACKED ORDERS ... but who knows if all the orders are tracked ... it's not rocket science to turn off the tracking pixel and claim glitch ... How do you know the batch guys are actually telling the truth?

3-10% depending on the cookie duration and niche, based on actual experience. Products that are more likely to be bought on a long cookie duration, rather than in the same session have a much higher "non-track" rate due to users clearing cookies, anti-spyware programs, private browsing, and the such.

15 years and counting
    I said up to 30% of sales initiated by an affiliate are not commissioned once in the merchant cart. It depends of the vertical and it's not an average.
    That includes the whole process and not only the tracking done by the networks.

Just a few examples why the affiliates sales are not reported:
    - How many networks links on the Web are not tracking, because they are either expired, modified or corrupted but still link to the merchant? A bunch.
    - Networks Tracking, tracking is never affected, we know they use the only servers and DNS with no down time. Why do we see an increase in sales after a switch to Indies or networks like AffiliateFuture?
    - Cookies, what's the real life of a cookie? Users clearing cookies, anti-spyware programs, but it's not the whole story. How many are just never set or reset by merchants newsletters, special landing pages...
    - Customers behavior, last week I had a look at what was doing a secretary, she spent most of her lunch time finding products on affiliate sites, making hard copy of the merchant page and writing carefully the coupon code for each merchant. She told me she'll do the final shopping at home. Do you think the affiliate who referred the sale will see the commission? How many employees are doing the same?
    Everybody knows one of ClickBank problems, where customers are becoming affiliates by switching their IDs. With the increase of customers becoming affiliates, is it happening with other networks like CJ or LS?
    - Merchants, don't they have conlicting channels? Are they going to report an affiliate sale if they believe the sale was closed by their marketing team? What about their non-commissionable coupons? Do we have a report to show us affiliates sales not reported by merchants? Are they paying commissions for all products sold? Don't they have outrageous terms like session only? Do you believe all merchants are honest? I know a few honest ones.
    That's just what coming to my mind, right now. It's far from an exhaustive list.

Take a merchant like WalMart or many others at LinkShare or the Web Hosts at CJ. How many affiliates believe only 3 to 10% of their sales are not tracked?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    - Networks Tracking, tracking is never affected, we know they use the only servers and DNS with no down time. Why do we see an increase in sales after a switch to Indies or networks like AffiliateFuture?

Take a merchant like WalMart or many others at LinkShare or the Web Hosts at CJ. How many affiliates believe only 3 to 10% of their sales are not tracked?
    To answer your first question, CJ's server IPs go through geographically dispersed and redundant Akamai solutions. In the past, when there was downtime and people claimed tracking was affected here, a quick look in the back end of the multiple merchants I worked with at the time showed absolutely no tracking issues on sales vs. CJ tracking.

As for the 3-10%, I'm speaking from merchant experience, as well as conversations I've had with an advertiser whose offer is out both on CJ, as well as nearly every CPA network out there (I'm not exaggerating, either). I'm just referencing cookie issues that can seem to be tracked (by IP, special landing page, etc).

I'm not referring to people who click a link at work, and then buy at home. I'm not referring to shady merchants (web hosting?) that may not fire pixels, or may be trigger happy on returns. I'm not referring to cases where an affiliate might enter the merchant site through an affiliate link, and then later have that cookie/pixel overwritten by a search or comparison shopping link.

As for your Clickbank comment, the reason why affiliates have issues with other affiliates replacing Clickbank IDs and taking commission for themselves, is because Clickbank sells so many scammy Ebooks on how to make money from affiliate marketing, that just teach users how to use Clickbank. Once users realize the products aren't worth the money, and can get 75% back as commission, they will do that. As for happening in CJ or LS, I'd say it's much rarer.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread